Bike Safety: "Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!"

Old November 5th 04, 02:18 AM
Frank Krygowski

Default Bike Safety: "Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!"

Is this the next front in the anti-bicycling war, the war to protect us
from ourselves?

On leaving the office today, I saw the guy with the milk crate on the
back rack had bought a new bike - or, perhaps, someone new had taken
over his usual parking place.

I didn't recognize the bike's brand name, so I went over for a closer
look. Seemed to be "A2F" with the "2" as a superscript (as in
"squared"), model seemed to be "Barracuda." New to me.

Then I saw the sticker on the top tube:

"Caution!" [Uh-oh]

"Never ride a bike at night without lights!" [OK, good advice.]

"Never ride a bike without an ANSI, ASTM or Snell approved helmet!"
[Well, you _know_ what I think about that.]

"Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!" [??????????]

I suppose it's just a matter of time before fenders are made illegal.
We can't keep condoning, let alone supporting, such irresponsible
behavior!

And you folks in the Pacific Northwest - just give it up, OK? Get
yourself an SUV like God intended!

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old November 5th 04, 04:23 AM
maxo

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:18:11 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

"Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!" [??????????]

Ha ha ha

I just re-engineered my front fender spray flap to cope with the fresh
28mm tires. Nothing can stop me now....

Old November 5th 04, 05:49 AM
Michael

maxo wrote:

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:18:11 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

"Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!" [??????????]

Ha ha ha

I just re-engineered my front fender spray flap to cope with the fresh
28mm tires. Nothing can stop me now....

I am acquainted with a particular iron bridge which you apparently
haven't met ... yet.
Old November 5th 04, 09:21 AM
R15757

maxo wrote:

I just re-engineered my front fender spray flap to cope with the fresh
28mm tires.

I just re-engineered my front fender to cope with
backwards riding.

Robert
Old November 5th 04, 11:00 AM
Peter Cole

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, my daughter (11 )has one of those bikes, it's a "Barracuda A2Z",
a fairly entry-level MTB. I guess I missed the sticker, she rode it 20
miles last Saturday in the (45 degree) rain. I suppose, like pulling her on
a trailer in the city, that makes me a bad dad.

Old November 5th 04, 11:23 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:18:11 -0500, ,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

"Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!" [??????????]

I'm afraid it reflects the sorry state of *Common Sense* today.
--
zk
Old November 5th 04, 01:37 PM
Roger Zoul

Michael wrote:
:: maxo wrote:
:::
::: On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:18:11 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:
:::
:::: "Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!" [??????????]
:::
::: Ha ha ha
:::
::: I just re-engineered my front fender spray flap to cope with the
::: fresh 28mm tires. Nothing can stop me now....
::
::
:: I am acquainted with a particular iron bridge which you apparently
:: haven't met ... yet.

Never ride on an iron bridge when it's wet outisde!

Silly.

Old November 5th 04, 01:56 PM
Bob Burns

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

What about riding in the snow?

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

Old November 5th 04, 01:58 PM
Bob Burns

Zoot Katz wrote:
Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:18:11 -0500, ,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

"Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!" [??????????]

I'm afraid it reflects the sorry state of *Common Sense* today.

And the sorry state of litagation fears. Sounds like a CYA to me!

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

Old November 5th 04, 03:50 PM
John Everett

wrote:

"Never ride a bike when it's wet outside!" [??????????]

One of my prime tenets, but it has nothing to do with safety. ;-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3