Nobody uses electric gloves?

Old November 11th 04, 03:21 PM
dgk

Default Nobody uses electric gloves?

I'm having a bit of glove trouble. My hands very get cold, certainly
for the first few miles. Cold enough that I really don't like it. I
can try for warmer gloves, and scanned this newgroup going back over a
year and read the glove threads. Lots of suggestions but I can't
figure out why nobody mentioned battery powered gloves. Is there no
one using them?

My problem with gloves so far is that they aren't warm enough at the
start but are too warm later on. I suppose I can wear heavy ones at
the start and switch to lighter ones but I'm starting to carry a lot
of stuff and it isn't easy to stop and switch around, especially since
the pack is bungie corded to the carrier.

It seems that battery powered gloves could be thin enough to use the
current when you start out but turn off when you get warm enough not
not need it anymore.

Seems reasonable but since no one is doing it, there are clearly
objections. And these are...
Old November 11th 04, 04:54 PM
Richard Amirault

"dgk" wrote ...
(snip)
It seems that battery powered gloves could be thin enough to use the
current when you start out but turn off when you get warm enough not
not need it anymore.

Seems reasonable but since no one is doing it, there are clearly
objections. And these are...

Don't ride that much in the cold to try them. I *do* have a pair
(somewhere) ... they run of a single D sized cell which sits in a pouch sewn
into the glove at the wrist. Each glove has it's own cell. A bit of a pain
to turn on and off by the way.

Also, I don't agree with the concept of needing less as you "get warm enough
not to need it anymore." My hands get colder further into the ride (like
about 45 minutes) Yes, your body should feel cool when you start the ride.
It will heat up as you ride, but we are talking about hands here not your
core body temp. Cold hands (fingers actually) are the reason I stop riding
when the weather gets cold. The only thing I think would work would be to
completely enclose each handlebar end with just an opening for my writs.
Similar accessories have been sold for snowmobiles, and ATV's.

--
Richard Amirault N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA Go Fly A Kite

Old November 11th 04, 04:58 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Richard Amirault" wrote: (clip)completely enclose each handlebar end with
just an opening for my writs. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you ride your bike to court?

Old November 11th 04, 07:37 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:54:42 -0500, ,
"Richard Amirault" wrote:

The only thing I think would work would be to
completely enclose each handlebar end with just an opening for my writs.
Similar accessories have been sold for snowmobiles, and ATV's.

They are sold as "pogies" for bicycles. Terry did sell them at one
time. Serratus makes some. MEC has them: http://tinyurl.com/68ztt
--
zk
Old November 11th 04, 08:31 PM
Richard Amirault

My fingers were so cold they couldn't type right ;-)

--
Richard Amirault N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA Go Fly A Kite

Old November 11th 04, 10:12 PM
R.White

dgk wrote in message . ..
I'm having a bit of glove trouble. My hands very get cold, certainly
for the first few miles. Cold enough that I really don't like it. I
can try for warmer gloves, and scanned this newgroup going back over a
year and read the glove threads. Lots of suggestions but I can't
figure out why nobody mentioned battery powered gloves. Is there no
one using them?

snip

Seems reasonable but since no one is doing it, there are clearly
objections. And these are...

My gloves keep my hands warm enough but I do use the battery powered
socks when it gets really cold.
Old November 11th 04, 11:48 PM
Reid Priedhorsky

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:21:15 -0500, dgk wrote:

... I'm starting to carry a lot of stuff and it isn't easy to stop and
switch around, especially since the pack is bungie corded to the
carrier.

You might consider a rack with a trunk bag. I have one and it's very
useful -- whenever I take long rides I go with two quarts of water, food,
tools, etc.

I have a cheap one from Nashbar, it's $23 now but I've seen it on sale for
$15. I like it and would recommend it at the higher price.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6804

Reid
Old November 12th 04, 03:04 AM
Bill Baka

On 11 Nov 2004 14:12:50 -0800, R.White wrote:

dgk wrote in message
. ..
I'm having a bit of glove trouble. My hands very get cold, certainly
for the first few miles. Cold enough that I really don't like it. I
can try for warmer gloves, and scanned this newgroup going back over a
year and read the glove threads. Lots of suggestions but I can't
figure out why nobody mentioned battery powered gloves. Is there no
one using them?

snip

Seems reasonable but since no one is doing it, there are clearly
objections. And these are...

My gloves keep my hands warm enough but I do use the battery powered
socks when it gets really cold.

Try getting a dynamo hub and hooking them in.
It is a new idea for the generator at least.
The faster you ride the warmer your hands get.
Bill Baka

Old November 12th 04, 03:50 AM
foldedpath

dgk wrote in
:

snippage

It seems that battery powered gloves could be thin enough to use the
current when you start out but turn off when you get warm enough not
not need it anymore.

Seems reasonable but since no one is doing it, there are clearly
objections. And these are...

I don't live in a climate where I need it for the bike (Pacific Northwest).
But I've used them for years when doing amateur astronomy, which sometimes
involves standing outside all night long, in cold weather without much real
physical activity to keep you warm.

Heated gloves work fine, and it's nice to be able to turn them off when you
don't need it. It's like removing a layer without the hassle of removing a
layer.

The only downside I could see is that they're a little heavier than normal
insulated gloves, and you do have to pay attention to battery replacement.
I'd hate to have to depend on these to get home on a bike, and suddenly
find a dead battery in the gloves.

--
Mike Barrs
Old November 12th 04, 01:21 PM
dgk

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:50:01 -0600, foldedpath
wrote:

dgk wrote in
:

snippage

[...]

Is there a particular one that you recommend? Neither Nashbar nor
Performance seem to have any.

I would likely use rechargable batteries.

Merida Powercycle Electric bike Comments? Fox in The Hat Productions General 0 October 21st 04 11:25 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Weight-lifting gloves for cycling Dave Stallard General 11 June 19th 04 11:31 PM