The Canadian Goose Winter Plan

Old November 12th 04, 05:08 AM
Bruce Lange

Default The Canadian Goose Winter Plan

As best I can tell, this is the plan of action for Canadian Geese in the
winter:

1) Fly to Denver.

2) Stake out territory along paved bike paths.

3) Peck grass on left of path. Do not poop.

4) As a cyclist approaches, and not a moment sooner, begin to very slowly
walk across the bike path.

5) Poop as much as possible while traversing the path, and obstruct the
cyclist at all costs.

6) Don't let the cyclist think you will move at the last second, let them
hit you if they really want.

7) If a cyclist does get a little too close, honk and peck in their
genreal direction.

8) When cyclist has moved past the flock, congregate on the right side of
the path and resume pecking if the grass. Cease pooping.

9) When another cyclist approaches, repeat 4-8 in the opposite direction.

Old November 12th 04, 09:08 AM
Mike Beauchamp

Those geese have been doin' their thing for a lot longer than cyclists have
been doin' theirs...

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Old November 12th 04, 02:57 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 05:08:41 GMT, "Bruce Lange"
wrote:

As best I can tell, this is the plan of action for Canadian Geese in the
winter:

1) Fly to Denver.

2) Stake out territory along paved bike paths.

3) Peck grass on left of path. Do not poop.

4) As a cyclist approaches, and not a moment sooner, begin to very slowly
walk across the bike path.

5) Poop as much as possible while traversing the path, and obstruct the
cyclist at all costs.

6) Don't let the cyclist think you will move at the last second, let them
hit you if they really want.

7) If a cyclist does get a little too close, honk and peck in their
genreal direction.

8) When cyclist has moved past the flock, congregate on the right side of
the path and resume pecking if the grass. Cease pooping.

9) When another cyclist approaches, repeat 4-8 in the opposite direction.

Hahah... I forget what big birds they are, they can certainly block
the way. Mind you, I saw some in DC and they were smaller. Canada
geese come in two sizes; the ones from out west are smaller, the
nothern ones are the big Honkers.

THe thing is that when they migrate back here, they go to the rural
areas and up north so they aren't much of a problem. However, we get
lots and lots of ducks, and our bike paths pass along water. So many
is the time I've had to stop and wait for entire herds of mallards to
cross the bike path. THey're big ducks! Another time, I saw cars
stopped because a mother duck was leading her brood of about 5 or 6
across a road. THey made it across okay. I had to stop and watch-they
were little brown puffballs! It's so hard to resist not scooping them
up!
Old November 14th 04, 07:05 AM
Ryan Cousineau

wrote:

[...]

Speak for yourself. Locally, Canada Geese inhabit several urban and
suburban parks (basically, every park with a lake or pond) in amazing
numbers, and I had a rather bizarre incident at the neighbourhood fish
'n chippery a few years ago in which an aggressive goose made me spill
most of my chips. They verge on being giant-sized pigeons in terms of
nuisance issues in the Vancouver area.

If you see any migratory geese, I'd like to point out they exist in such
quantities locally that well-meaning, apparently sane wildlife officials
organize "egg-addling" events, in which they scare geese off their
nests, shake some of the eggs so they can't hatch, and then move to the
next nest. So if you happen to see any near where you live, please shoot
and eat them for us.

My wife still laughs about the chips incident,
--
Ryan Cousineau,
http://www.wiredcola.com
Old November 14th 04, 03:41 PM
Claire Petersky

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message

Speak for yourself. Locally, Canada Geese inhabit several urban and
suburban parks (basically, every park with a lake or pond) in amazing
numbers,

We also have a terrible Canada goose problem. They poop so much that swimmng
beaches have to be closed down during the summer time. Offiicials tried to
relocate them to the other side of the state, but that meant that more just
bred here, and eastern Washington says they don't want any more.

Because of the migratory bird act, they can't be shot -- even though they
don't migrate any more, they just stay right where they are. Egg addling
appears to the be only legal control. They have no predators, especially in
the suburban parks.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old November 14th 04, 07:35 PM
R.White

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message ...
Those geese have been doin' their thing for a lot longer than cyclists have
been doin' theirs...

Maybe, maybe not.

Geese are wintering in places they've never stayed at before.
Many places that bikes and people have been using for years
are now favored by geese (and ducks) due in no small part by those
well meaning citizens who feed them stale bread. Some flocks
opt to stay year round. The novelty soon wears off as the goose poop
starts piling up.

Old November 14th 04, 07:38 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:41:55 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message

Speak for yourself. Locally, Canada Geese inhabit several urban and
suburban parks (basically, every park with a lake or pond) in amazing
numbers,

We also have a terrible Canada goose problem. They poop so much that swimmng
beaches have to be closed down during the summer time. Offiicials tried to
relocate them to the other side of the state, but that meant that more just
bred here, and eastern Washington says they don't want any more.

Because of the migratory bird act, they can't be shot -- even though they
don't migrate any more, they just stay right where they are. Egg addling
appears to the be only legal control. They have no predators, especially in
the suburban parks.

I know they are more of a problem in Vancouver and out west. Around
here, though, they only stop over on their way up north in the spring,
or they tend to be out in the more rural areas. Hunting geese is
allowed here, but you can't shoot game birds in national parks, only
in designated hunting areas. Such as "Goose breaks" in the
arctic/native communities. But around where we ride, canada geese are
not that much of an obstacle.

Once I a saw a snow goose in the park. It was in the spring and it
must have been on its way up north. Af first i thought it was a duck,
but then I realized it was a white goose; they are a lot smaller than
canada geese. I never saw it after that, I guess it flew north.
Old November 14th 04, 09:56 PM
Maggie

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message link.net...
"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message

We also have a terrible Canada goose problem. They poop so much that swimmng
beaches have to be closed down during the summer time. Offiicials tried to
relocate them to the other side of the state, but that meant that more just
bred here, and eastern Washington says they don't want any more
Warm Regards,
Claire Petersky

I tried to get to into a hotel in Mahwah N.J. and I had to walk by a
gaggle of geese or a google of geese or whatever the heck it is. They
are nasty birds. Someone should teach them to behave themselves. ;-)
Old November 14th 04, 10:04 PM
HANDSOME PRINCE

Maggie wrote:
I tried to get to into a hotel in Mahwah N.J. and I had to walk by a
gaggle of geese or a google of geese or whatever the heck it is. They
are nasty birds. Someone should teach them to behave themselves. ;-)

I hear they make fine eating!!!
Old November 14th 04, 10:47 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
HANDSOME PRINCE writes:
Maggie wrote:
I tried to get to into a hotel in Mahwah N.J. and I had to walk by a
gaggle of geese or a google of geese or whatever the heck it is. They
are nasty birds. Someone should teach them to behave themselves. ;-)

I hear they make fine eating!!!

They're not as big as they look, though. Pheasant is tastier,
and the feathers are useful for fly-tying.

Mmmm ... roast pheasant and blackberry-sherry sauce drool
I'm almost inclined to go out and poach me a couple.

cheers,
Tom
--
-- Nothing is safe from me.