Deaf Or Hard Of Hearing Unicyclists?

Old March 2nd 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Default Deaf Or Hard Of Hearing Unicyclists?

My wife works 'here' (http://www.stepagency.com) (the new web site will
be much better, and talk about a great place to work if you're deaf.
It's in the works). The deaf performer from the LA area is Pinky! Pinky
Aiello. I knew she had a memorable name, soon as I remembered it!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old March 5th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Steven[_2_]

On Mar 1, 9:52 pm, vicuniclub
om wrote:
Hey i know it seems like a wierd forum to post.
Anyways i am Hearing but i am Training to become an ASL-English
interpreter and have many deaf friends. one of which has expressed alot
of interest in learning how to unicycle. She asked me if there are any
other Deaf or HOH unicyclists? I know there are probaly alot out there,
but i wanted to check if there was anyone on the site that is or knows
someone else who is deaf and unicycles.
thanks
bry

I have taught 4 deaf people to ride the unicycle. I am currently
teaching a circus program in a deaf school, and while I am not
including unicycle in this program, I have 6 walking the tightrope, 3
walking on globes, and another 6 or so walking on stilts.

When I started this program I expected more balance issues. Most of
the students I am working with are progressing no differently that a
hearing kid would with the same skills. Just be careful, as a
significant enough portion of the deaf/hoh community have inner ear
issues that DO have major effects on balance. I have not yet found
any really good techniques for overcomming this, but I am still
working on it.