Trek 1000

Old July 29th 04, 07:49 AM
Sojourn100

Default Trek 1000

Hi All,

I am about to start riding again after a 5 year break - I want to spend
about $900 on a safe bike that will alllow me to go on 100km rides (not
racing) - Would you suggest the TREK 1000?

Please help...

Evan

--
Sojourn100

Old July 29th 04, 08:01 AM
Walrus

Sojourn100 Wrote:
Hi All,

I am about to start riding again after a 5 year break - I want to spend
about $900 on a safe bike that will alllow me to go on 100km rides (not
racing) - Would you suggest the TREK 1000?

Please help...

Evan

I have a friend who just got the 1000 and he is really happy with it.
It depends on your expectations, as the 1000 has Shimano Sora
components (I think). For that price, consider previous '03 bikes,
second hand or clearance sales.

Depending on where you are, I saw a sign for a 20% off Trek sale at a
shop on Bridge Road, Richmond, Melbourne...not sure if that will help
you though?

--
Walrus

Old July 30th 04, 12:42 AM
Yuri Budilov

I have Trek 1000, 2004 model, I bought it in Jan 2004. To date I have ridden
~1300 km on it. Generally I am happy with the bike as it is my very first
road bike and yes you can get it for ~AUS$800 if you intend to buy some
accessories with it. The 2005 stock is due soon so sales on 2004 stock are
imminent.

I threw out the standard pedals (I call them "death"-straps) and installed
Shimano M540 clip-less pedals instead.

I upgraded some other items on the bike - saddle - I got the saddle from
Trek 1400-1500 model and I got 700*23C Kevlar lined Michelin tyres (they are
more puncture resistant and narrower than standard 700*25C tyres that it
comes with). I also had different length stem installed (this is own your
sizing issue). Most recently I upgraded the front wheel brake pads to
Shimano DuraAce pads (~$15-18 per wheel) as its standard brake pads are
simply next to useless and I think even border on being unsafe. I could not
get KoolStop Salmon brake pads in Australia so settled on DuraAce pads. It
made a lot of difference but I still think its brakes are weak.

As a first road bike I think Trek 1000 is a good one. The 2005 model may
well have improvements. Is 8-speed Sora going to 9-speed in 2005 now that
Ultegra is going to 10 speed? Not sure.

Another good bike in this price range is Giant OCR-3 assuming it's compact
geometry suits you.

Good Luck and Safe Riding
Yuri