Mission accomplished

Old May 13th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Mission accomplished

Howard Kveck wrote in
:

In article ,
William Asher wrote:

Howard Kveck wrote:

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/so...eprovost.shtml

But that's not really cannibalism now is it?

Why, no. But "she was a winner that became a doggie's dinner..."
Someone got et.
You can look up the story that inspired the song by going to Wikipedia
and searching on Marie Prevost.

I know the story and the song, but it's not about cannibalism. Now if
she had a 40-yr old son with an IQ of say 40 and the emotional age of
maybe 4 and she died leaving him alone in the apartment and he ate her to
stay alive, not the dogs, *that* would be cannibalism. But then of
course, the song would have the chorus of "she was a winner, who became
her retarded son's dinner."

--
Bill Asher
Old May 13th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

" wrote in
ups.com:

Robert Chung wrote:
William Asher wrote:

But did the earth move?

My heart flutters whenever I hear "Hail to the Chief":

If you go to the Richard M. Nixon Presidential Library
and Birthplace in Yorba Linda, CA, in the bathrooms
you will hear piped-in music that is, yes, "Hail to the Chief."

The Nixon Library has a room full of life-size bronze
statues of world leaders RMN encountered during his
career (including Khrushchev and Chou En-lai), historical
exhibits including a room (a long dark corridor) on Watergate,
where you can listen to a few excerpts from the White House
tapes, and the most awesomest gift shop ever. It is a good
reason to go to Orange County, and that's a pretty strong
endorsement.

Actually, Wild Rivers Water Park is also on my must-see list of
destinations in Orange County. But I have a thing for water parks built
on the site of wildlife safari places where a tiger once ate a little
boy. Call me a sentimentalist.

--
Bill Asher
Old May 13th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Robert Chung wrote:
wrote:
Robert Chung wrote:

My heart flutters whenever I hear "Hail to the Chief":

If you go to the Richard M. Nixon Presidential Library
and Birthplace in Yorba Linda, CA, in the bathrooms
you will hear piped-in music that is, yes, "Hail to the Chief."

Hmmm. You're saying I could take a leak in Richard M. Nixon's birthplace?
Intriguing thought.

Speaking of taking a dump, the president has entered Nixonian territory
with these latest polls. I had to expand the range of my graphs in order
to fit them in.

Looks like they're finally going to bring an indictment against Rove
too. The only thing keeping a smile off my face right now is that
instead of concentrating on taking control of Congress, the Democrats
are fighting with Dean and amongst themselves. That was one of the
stupdest moves known to man IMO when they handed the DNC to Dean.
The only way in hell they can screw these coming elections up is by
screwing themselves over, and it sure looks like they are trying really
hard.
I'm praying for them to grab both houses, and then going to REALLY
enjoy watching all the investigations that have been stonewalled move
forward.
Poor Tricky Dick's gotta be shaking his head in disbelief at what
they've gotten away with, and for how long.
Bill C

Old May 13th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article ,
William Asher wrote:

" wrote in
ups.com:

Robert Chung wrote:
William Asher wrote:

[...]

Sentimentality is the superstructure erected upon brutality.
-- Carl Jung

--
Michael Press
Old May 14th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Michael Press wrote in
:

snip

Sentimentality is the superstructure erected upon brutality.
-- Carl Jung

But you have to admit, there is something reassuring about a nice erect
superstructure in the morning.

--
Bill Asher

http://tinyurl.com/jjh3x

Old May 14th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Bill C wrote:
Robert Chung wrote:
wrote:
Robert Chung wrote:
[...]

The fifty-state strategy seems sound. Challenge the Republicans
everywhere, even if it's a token challenge. The Republicans are looking
so weak at this point, that we could actually see some stunning results.

Well, the election is still six months away. I'll probably slit my
wrists if the Dem's don't take at least one house back.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,
Old May 14th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Inside Iraq: The Untold Stories ( Mission accomplished)

Just saw this movie tonight at the local art house, and the filmmaker
was there with his three-ton brass balls. (Insert LANCE joke here

He went to his local ABC affiliate with the ides of filming a
documentary from Iraq. They didn't want any liability, so they gave him
some money but no press pass.

He forges his own at Kinko's. Gets to Iraq, does not hide in the Green
Zone. Walks the streets, talks to and films people. Heads to Camp
Anaconda, the big-ass US base in Balad (north of Baghdad). Films &
interviews troops. Goes to Anbar province at the Syrian border, gets
"qualified" as an M-1 gunner, goes on patrol. Hilarity ensues.

I suspect he's a liberal. He's definitely not in favor of war. But any
commentary is skimpy, and the film is a good effort to show the good,
bad and ugly. Definitely a hell of a lot more than you get in the news,
or talking to someone who's served there, or from any of the liberal,
conservative or neo-con blogs.

http://www.insideiraqthemovie.com/index.html

Old May 14th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 05/13/2006 11:05 PM, in article , "Raptor"
wrote:

Well, the election is still six months away. I'll probably slit my
wrists if the Dem's don't take at least one house back.

Wasn't it about this time 2 years ago that John Swallow was already casting
Jim Matheson as the devil incarnate?

Haven't seen a single political ad in SLC yet.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old May 14th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Raptor wrote:
[...]

That's cool. We really need more of that, not the garbage we get. If
you want to read a very interesting book sort of on this subject check
out:
http://journalism.nyu.edu/portfolio/books/book230.html

Michael Herr, Dispatches (Knopf, 1977)
Herr brought the Vietnam War back home in all its uncensored,
unadulterated reality in Dispatches. Proclaimed as the greatest book
written not only on the Vietnam War, but also on any war, Dispatches
only made it into print as a book ten years after Herr went to Vietnam
as a correspondent for Esquire.

Fantastic book. Sean Flynn and Dana Stone, who are a large part of the
book, were amazing people who, unfortunately, didn't come back.
I actually heard from Rory Flynn recently, Sean's sister and Errol's
daughter, and she's got a lot in her new book about Sean. Got to get
it.
Bill C

Old May 14th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:

Well, the election is still six months away. I'll probably slit my
wrists if the Dem's don't take at least one house back.

Wasn't it about this time 2 years ago that John Swallow was already casting
Jim Matheson as the devil incarnate?

Haven't seen a single political ad in SLC yet.

Matheson is safe. Maybe not in the official designation of Congressional
Quarterly, but he'll win. He knows how to cast the right throwaway votes
to get re-elected.