New Muni Vid w/newcomer Devin

Old October 30th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maximus unius

Default New Muni Vid w/newcomer Devin

maestro8 wrote:
Terry,

I write because I was disappointed with the UPD on your film. Don't
take this personal, it's just the words of a caffinated, crazed young
man hell-bent on world uni-domination.

You are still young in unicycling years so I understand your definition
of "best" is still in its formative stages. The riding in your videos
is still slow and measured. You and your fellow riders tend to lean
back and as we see in your videos, you fall backwards. In time you
will be riding at the edge of control, leaning as far forward as
physics will allow, pedaling faster than your good senses would tell
you to pedal. Only in this time, you will begin to experience "good,"
"better" and "best" UPDs.

A proper "best-of" UPD should involve a forward fall. In fact, the
fall should be preceeded by a period of uncontrolled feet-out coasting.
The forward fall should propel the rider towards some dangerous
terrain, usually steep, preferably dead vertical. The fall should
result in at least one somersault, at least one bruise or scrape, and
one piece of protective gear or clothing should come flying off in the
process. The unicycle should bounce no less than three feet into the
air, and it should continue to roll for a distance of no less than 30
yards down the trail. The unicycle should come to rest in a patch of
poison oak, poison ivy, thistle, bramble, cactus or another dangerous
plant. All said and done, the ensuing cloud of dust shall not be
settled until one minute after the initial stages of the UPD.

That, my friend, is a proper "best-of" UPD. Sadly, your friend merely
bumped his hiney on a rock. I've taken worse falls walking on level
ground. Yes, your film does caputre a precious UPD, but it should be
reserved for the post-credits-bails section of your video, IMHO.

I would be more than happy to demonstrate world-class UPDs for you...
unfortunately I do not have access to a video camera. I hope to see
you at the LA muni weekend, if not just to shake your hand after
scraping myself off the trails.

Cheers!

Sorry, but that was a bit harsh. Your description of a "best of" UPD
could be completely different than mine or my friends or anyone else.
Mine might include someone cracking their skull (not that it does), and
my friends might include someone being thrown 10 feet into the
air.Maybe this was Terry's, watching his friends uni flying down the
trail. And id say that if you have taken worse falls walking on level
ground, then I think you need to go back to being 1 and refine your
walking skills.

--
maximus unius

Originally Posted by *Brian MacKenzie*
Have you tried rubbing your nipples with grease before twisting them so
tightly?

maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699

Old October 30th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

maestro8 wrote:
[...]

You completely MISSED the point and apparently misread the "tag" which
preceded the clip in question. It was a "UNI-UPD"!!! NOT a UPD!
That means wew were having FUN with showing the actual UNI...Not the
Uni-CYLIST crashing down end over end.

--
MuniAddict

"There is an -idea-, of a Patrick Bateman"

"They all float down here"

Old October 30th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

maestro8 wrote:
[...]

That means we were simply having FUN with showing the actual UNI...Not

Old October 30th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

jrdugueod wrote:
I just watched it again, mainly to hear the song and I noticed: Not a
single "niiiice!"

Yep, I heard the criticizm, and I listened! (I
happen to have agreed...too many "niiiice's")

Old October 30th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

maximus unius wrote:
Sorry, but that was a bit harsh. Your description of a "best of" UPD
could be completely different than mine or my friends or anyone else.
Mine might include someone cracking their skull (not that it does), and
my friends might include someone being thrown 10 feet into the
air.Maybe this was Terry's, watching his friends uni flying down the
trail. And id say that if you have taken worse falls walking on level
ground, then I think you need to go back to being 1 and refine your
walking skills.

I appreciate your support, although I think Maestro had his toungue
planted firmly in cheek for at least a good part of his response. I did
explain to him that it was a UNICYCLE UPD that I showed, NOT a standard
UPD, which he -thought- I meant. Plus, he referred to me as being
"young in unicycle years"...That's kinda true since I've been doing
muni since about 3/06, after about a 35 year layoff from just basic
riding around on a schwinn!

Old October 31st 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
revolution

Thanks for the great hike Terry, I mean ride...

The last shot in that vid is where I busted my left ankle. I was
limping all day yesterday and still today, but it will blow over soon
for some more muni this weekend.

--
revolution
revolution's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12681

Old October 31st 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycle dave

Good video.
I always like your videos. I think its because theres so many upd's

--
unicycle dave

unicycle for Christ
unicycle dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10416

Old November 1st 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

MuniAddict wrote:
It was a "UNI-UPD"!!! NOT a UPD!

*tongue still in cheek*

Fine.

Despite the fact that a properly trained uni will not dismount it's
master even in times of duress, it should run like
h-e-double-hockey-sticks should it ever happen... During our last ride
in Berkeley, Mr. LaBonte showed me some scars on a tree from when his
unicycle tried to climb to safety after being hucked down a steep rocky
passage. In your video I just see the uni do a couple somersaults and
play dead. This uni must be traded in at once; it hasn't much life in
it and won't provide a satisfactory ride.

---

revolution wrote:
I was limping all day yesterday and still today, but it will blow over
soon for some more muni this weekend.

Don't rush back into the saddle! Your ankle will remain weak for
longer than you think; riding immediately after injury is inviting an
even worse re-injury. Take care of them ankles!

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old November 1st 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eroick

I've had a better UNI-UPD. I was doing onefoot on flat ground and the
rolled out. The uni did a few flips and rolls then stood up on the
tire/pedal and stayed there.

sarcasm
I could clear that, just fly me out to California!
/sarcasm

--
Eroick

--Eric Evenchick

My MSN:

but 3 degrees is like a heat wave!! woohoo.

Eroick's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

Old November 1st 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
csuko

Come on guys, don't take maestro8 to seriously! You have to admit that
his comments are hilarous.

The video was fun, but I'll have to agree that the UPD was a little
less spectacular than I was expecting after I read the first post.

BTW, this is the first time for me to hear about a "UNI-UPD". Is this
an official term? How do you diferentiate between a reagular UPD and
UNI-UPD? To me a UNI-UPD seems like another way of saying, "The uni
made me do it"

--
csuko
csuko's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12939

Unicon 2006- info online GizmoDuck Unicycling 32 December 22nd 05 11:31 AM
Possible Mini Cal. Muni Weekend vivalargo Unicycling 15 December 14th 05 07:16 PM
strictly MUni leadpan Unicycling 5 October 24th 05 06:14 PM
New Zealand MUni Weekend - April 23 to 25 TonyMelton Unicycling 0 February 12th 05 01:08 AM
The Australian Muni Weekend Thread... andrew_carter Unicycling 7 October 15th 03 11:36 AM