How high did I jump?

Old March 2nd 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joe2005

Default How high did I jump?

Ok so I was riding around in my drive way today, to set up the scene, we
have _two_ concrete steps leading up to our door, the total height is
18" and the total width is 13" So I used my awesome math skills and
found the distance of the hypotenuse which is roughly 22.2".

So my question: Is this considered jumping 18" or 22.2"?

p.s. i finally mustered up enough courage to jump off a picnic table
onto concrete. and i landed it.

:edit. Whoops I forgot to mention I did manage to get jump up them.

--
Joe2005
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

Old March 2nd 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

If you want to know how high, then it's obviously 18".

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.
ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

Old March 2nd 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joe2005

So you don't take the width into account it's strictly vertical height?

--
Joe2005

*come to the dark side* we have cookies!
Joe2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13692

Old March 2nd 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

Well, not if you measure the height of the jump.

You could say that you jumped 18" vertically and 13" horizontally, but
usually people just leave out the horizontal one, because it rarely
matters that much. You can still mention it if you want, of course.

Old March 2nd 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joe2005

Thats pretty much what I figured but I found the jump much more
difficult then onto a picnic table bench which is only 1/2" lower so I
thought I'd ask.

Old March 2nd 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

It also depends on the style of jumping. I suppose a rolling hop would
be of about equal difficulty for both of them, but a sideways hop would
be more difficult with the steps, because you'd be able to stand right
next to the bench for it, but would have to jump over the lower step
and so clear more horizontal distance. It all depends.

Old March 2nd 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mscalisi

You jumped 33! (18" height + 13" width +two steps)

Joe2005 wrote:
Ok so I was riding around in my drive way today, to set up the scene, we
have _two_ concrete steps leading up to our door, the total height is
18" and the total width is 13" So I used my awesome math skills and
found the distance of the hypotenuse which is roughly 22.2".

So my question: Is this considered jumping 18" or 22.2"?

p.s. i finally mustered up enough courage to jump off a picnic table
onto concrete. and i landed it.

:edit. Whoops I forgot to mention I did manage to get jump up them.

--
mscalisi

Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha

mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

Old March 2nd 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joe2005

mscalisi wrote:
You jumped 33! (18" height + 13" width +two steps)

Exactly what I was thinking

Old March 2nd 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

mscalisi wrote:
You jumped 33! (18" height + 13" width +two steps)

Yay for maths!

Joe2005 wrote:
It was a sidehop.

The height is still 18". If you gapped 1.4 metres and unto a curb, you
wouldn't say that you jumped higher than Ryan Atkins.

high jump rec kris.lee Unicycling 12 July 30th 06 11:33 PM
high jump rec tomtrevor Unicycling 0 July 30th 06 09:59 AM
High jump equipment fexnix Unicycling 5 May 31st 06 05:46 PM
Best way to jump high? pete66 Unicycling 22 June 12th 04 12:39 AM
How-To Jump high m_extreme_uni Unicycling 33 November 19th 03 02:47 AM