IDIOTS ON BIKES ARE NOT AS DANGEROUS

Old March 24th 09, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Vito[_2_]

Default dump the Big Three and embrace public transportation

"J. Clarke" wrote
We were discussing the viability of riding a motorcycle as an alternative
to public transportation. If the job you have is in an area in which
motorcycles are banned then that makes riding rather impractical. I gave
an example of an employer which is in the middle of an area affected by
such a ban and assumed that if you didn't understand why working for that
employer would be a problem you would ask instead of making assumptions.

If one lives in NYC, owning any kind of vehicle is rather impractical
unless one is quite wealthy. But there are degrees of urbanization
between "NYC" and "shack in the badlands". This wholly disregards
weather. If you live in Arizona riding year round is fine. If you live
in the general vicinity of Buffalo it's not so fine. Then there's the
matter of what one must normally carry with one as part of one's
employment. These days I can get by with a Swiss Army Knife but that
wasn't always the case. And what one does--a lawyer showing up for court
in a beat up riding suit isn't going to cut it and riding in bad weather
is not good for the Armani.

Personally I have no objection to paying for public transportation, if it
actually _works_. Around here it's an hour's walk to the bus stop and the
bus doesn't go anywhere that I need to go.

I do not disagree. My point is that one need not work or live in such a
squalid condition, one can move. To use your example, one can choose to
live in Arizona instead of Buffalo. I made a decision to move to rural
Virginia instead of the DC 'burbs even tho it meant less advancement/money
but a much better life *for me*. I was never sorry. I've since retired to
a Florida 'burb and feel cramped because I can no longer shoot deer from my
back porch but that's my patibulum to bear. Others have different needs and
priorities.

Old March 24th 09, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Vito[_2_]

"John Thompson" wrote
Vito wrote:

If it works for you, great. We have a public transportation system here
in
Brevard County, Florida, too. I *could* use it to cover the 5 miles
to/from
the bike shop when I need to leave or pick up my bike. The bus stops are
only 1/4 mile from home and a mile from the shop, and teh ride only takes
tad over an hour. That doesn't work for me. I guess I could get a
bicycle.
The busses even have racks for them. But what if somebody saw me riding
it!?!

Five whole miles! You could probbly walk that in an hour, and get some
decent excerise at the same time.

Obviously! Thats why I don't ride the bus.

Old March 24th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Schiffner

On Mar 24, 7:38*am, "Vito" wrote:
SNIP
I've since retired to a Florida 'burb and feel cramped because I can no longer shoot deer from my
back porch but that's my patibulum to bear.

Not that I'm condoning or suggesting anything that could be dangerous
or illegal...BUT a 3 L soda bottle with a bit of grey tape will make a
bolt action 22lr or 22mag all but silent in a suburban envrionment.
Not that I'd have tested it mind you, that would be a violation of
federal laws I'm sure. I do have it on good authority that a 22 will
drop a deer at the distance of "kitchen table at back door to the back
fence". The real trick is getting it in the garage or shower before
the neighbors notice.

--
Keith
Old March 24th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_3_]

Default Dump the Big Three Crossposted Newsgroups

Jym Dyer wrote:
::: Look here, the "local" REI store is 55 miles away from my
::: house. No public transportation goes there and if I did
::: have a motorcycle to ride there, how would I carry my tent
::: or boots or sleeping bag back home with me?
::
:: =v= A backpack can hold a tent AND boots AND a sleeping bag,
:: and it's even easier to wear on a motorcycle than a bicycle.
:: (For bicycles there are panniers. Of course, motorcycles have
:: saddlebags or even locking compartments for such things.)
::
:: =v= For larger purchases, you can use a trailer. I dont have
:: any experience with motorcycle trailers, though I've seen them
:: in use and suspect that they work as well as bicycle trailers.
:: _Jym_
::
:: P.S.: Why are we discussing motorcycles on this list? Oh,
:: of course, it's because Bananas-for-Brains keeps crossposting
:: inappropriately.

Yes, I was wondering why the bicycles misc group keeps getting all these
motorcycle posts. That is, when I'm not day-dreaming of old women riding
motorcycles to do their shopping. Ain't gonna happen.

Why on earth would I want to ride my bike 55 miles one way when I can just
jump in my automobile, anyway? Time is a consideration that the "dump the
big three" people don't seem to consider.

Pat in TX

Old March 24th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_3_]

Vito wrote:
:: "John Thompson" wrote
:::
::: Five whole miles! You could probbly walk that in an hour, and get
::: some decent excerise at the same time.
:::
:: Obviously! Thats why I don't ride the bus.

Yeah! That's especially desirable when it's 100 degree F outside or when
it's raining or the wind is blowing 35-40 mph. Sure sounds like EVERYBODY
would want to do that! Keep preaching!

Pat in TX

Old March 24th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bob Myers

Vito wrote:
"Turby" wrote
The idea of studying what chickens "like" is absurd. If you walk
through a chicken barn, a chicken will run under your foot and wait
for you to step on it. If you walk from one end to the other, you
have to be careful because the chickens will run in front of you all
the way to the other end, and many will die of asphixiation in a big
pile, while there are only 2 or 3 running around in the other 50
yards of empty barn. I would say that chickens are the dumbest
critters on earth except that turkeys are much larger and their
brains are the same size.

Did you ever notice the crowds at our our (USA) Democrat convention
or at a NASCAR race or pedestrians in New York City? Chickens may be
dumber but not by much.

What, you think there were more brains on display at the Republican
convention?

Think about who they nominated as their VP candidate.

Bob M.

Old March 24th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Twibil[_2_]

On Mar 24, 9:44*am, "Bob Myers" wrote:
Vito wrote:
[...]

But she can see the current volcanic eruption, her single-mom
daughter, and Russia from her house!
Old March 24th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Vito[_2_]

"Bob Myers" wrote
What, you think there were more brains on display at the Republican
convention?

Certainly not, but there seemed to be less pushing and shoving in the crowd.

Old March 25th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Twibil[_2_]

On Mar 24, 4:03*pm, "Vito" wrote:

"Bob Myers" wrote

What, you think there were more brains on display at the Republican
convention?

Certainly not, but there seemed to be less pushing and shoving in the crowd.

Only because con-men and pickpockets strive to be inconspicuous.
Old March 25th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bob Myers

Vito wrote:
"Bob Myers" wrote
What, you think there were more brains on display at the Republican
convention?

Certainly not, but there seemed to be less pushing and shoving in the
crowd.

I think they may have already been sensing their upcoming
doom, and so were more subdued than the Dems.

Bob M.

Idiots on the A1 Artleknock UK 150 August 18th 07 02:00 PM
Idiots Mark Thompson UK 1 May 12th 07 07:02 PM
Idiots heed UK 54 May 4th 06 08:46 AM