Head Itch From Helmet?

Old June 3rd 04, 04:40 PM
mary

Default Head Itch From Helmet?

I have been wearing a helmet for over twenty-years, but in the last couple
of years it seems to make my head itch.In the area where the straps are. I
use a sweat band, and it seems to itch along there also. I usually in the
summer wear it around three to four hours a day, and it gets worse as the
temperature increases. Right now I am setting my helment in the sun after I
ride to see if that helps, but it is too early to tell. I bought a new
helmet, but it does not seem to make any difference. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

Old June 3rd 04, 05:00 PM
GaryG

"mary" wrote in message
I have been wearing a helmet for over twenty-years, but in the last couple
of years it seems to make my head itch.In the area where the straps are. I
use a sweat band, and it seems to itch along there also. I usually in the
summer wear it around three to four hours a day, and it gets worse as the
temperature increases. Right now I am setting my helment in the sun after

ride to see if that helps, but it is too early to tell. I bought a new
helmet, but it does not seem to make any difference. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

Do you ever rinse off the accumulated salts on your straps and pads? If
not, that might be part of the problem. Several times per week I'll give my
helmet a quick rinse in the sink and leave it to dry in the
drainboard...this keeps the helmet clean, and gives the kitchen a "cyclist
lives here" atmosphere (as if there's any doubt, what with the Graham Watson
calendar, bike club ride listings, and Tour de France jersey fridge magnets
g).

~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Old June 3rd 04, 08:53 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:00:19 -0700, "GaryG" wrote:

this keeps the helmet clean, and gives the kitchen a "cyclist
lives here" atmosphere (as if there's any doubt, what with the Graham Watson
calendar, bike club ride listings, and Tour de France jersey fridge magnets
g).

~_-*
...G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Dude, you crack me up. OTOH, I'm trying for that same 'touch' at my house.

Looking at all the gear, books and magazines, drying jerseys, and shorts you'd
think at least three cycle-nuts lived there.

Mind you, it's a neat and well-organized menagerie...and those muddy tire prints
only a few hours old! ;-p

-Badger

Old June 4th 04, 01:37 AM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:40:58 -0400, "mary"
wrote:
I have been wearing a helmet for over twenty-years, but in the last couple
of years it seems to make my head itch.In the area where the straps are. I

helmet, but it does not seem to make any difference. Any suggestions?

I recommend taking it off for at least a couple hours a day. Maybe
while you're sleeping is a good time. Twenty years is a long time to
wear a helmet without taking it off!
--
Rick Onanian
Old June 4th 04, 03:58 PM
Frank Krygowski

wrote:

I have been wearing a helmet for over twenty-years, ...

I recommend taking it off for at least a couple hours a day. Maybe
while you're sleeping is a good time.

I disagree! The Consumer Products Safety Commission says (honest!) that
America sees 400,000 ER visits per year due to beds and bedclothes!
Sure, it's a _little_ less than those due to bicycles (560,000) but not
that much less.

Bedtime is no time for relaxed vigilance. Leave that helmet on! Why,
if just ONE life can be saved...!!! ;-)

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old June 4th 04, 05:12 PM
Badger_South

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:58:26 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I disagree! The Consumer Products Safety Commission says (honest!) that
America sees 400,000 ER visits per year due to beds and bedclothes!
Sure, it's a _little_ less than those due to bicycles (560,000) but not
that much less.

Bedtime is no time for relaxed vigilance. Leave that helmet on! Why,
if just ONE life can be saved...!!! ;-)

--
--------------------+
Frank Krygowski

In fact, and I'm trying to convince the wife, if you leave -all- your cycling gear
on at bedtime, you can get up and out the door even sooner in the am.

I'm clipping this post as more ammo. Never thought of the helmet, but makes
sense, as does the Third Eye Mirror! Thx, man. ;-)

-Badger
(She says the cleats dig into her, but she's such a whiner...)
Old June 4th 04, 06:17 PM
jhuskey

Mary wrote:
I have been wearing a helmet for over twenty-years, but in the last
couple of years it seems to make my head itch.In the area where the
straps are. I use a sweat band, and it seems to itch along there also. I
usually in the summer wear it around three to four hours a day, and it
gets worse as the temperature increases. Right now I am setting my
helment in the sun after I ride to see if that helps, but it is too
early to tell. I bought a new helmet, but it does not seem to make any
difference. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Tom

I don't have the same problem but sometimes I do feel an itch on my hea
while riding and sweating and isn't it amazing it is never under a ven
hole. :confused

-

Old June 4th 04, 06:23 PM
S o r n i

jhuskey wrote:
Mary wrote:
I have been wearing a helmet for over twenty-years, but in the

last couple of years it seems to make my head itch. {snip}

I don't have the same problem but sometimes I do feel an itch on my
head while riding and sweating and isn't it amazing it is never under
a vent hole.

Yet another reason to carry a spare spoke?

Bill "uses twigs when mtb-ing if nec." S.

Bicycle helmet law can save lives Garrison Hilliard General 146 May 19th 04 05:42 AM
Helmet for fat head Mark & Alice Westlund General 15 March 13th 04 05:16 AM
Helmet reminder... RB General 24 September 24th 03 12:00 PM
How I cracked my helmet Rick Warner General 2 July 12th 03 11:26 AM