NAUCC Muni pictures

Old July 31st 04, 07:09 AM
john_childs

Default NAUCC Muni pictures

I finally got around to putting my album together for the pictures I
took during NAUCC. I only took pictures of the first three muni fun
rides. I was too lazy to take pictures of anything else.

'NAUCC 2004 Muni Rides gallery'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NAUCC2004MUNI)

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old July 31st 04, 07:17 AM
Tmornstar

JOHN!

Way to go! Great photography! Thanks for posting these.

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

Tommy Thompson
(No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Old July 31st 04, 07:32 AM
tomblackwood

Nice shots. I rode the Pipeline Trail in Millcreek in early June, but
it looks like Rolf found some other good ones in the same canyon
system.

What kind of muni frame does Andy Cotter have? It looks kind of like a
Telford, but not quite.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old July 31st 04, 08:16 PM
steveyo

"john_childs" wrote:
I finally got around to putting my album together for the pictures I
took during NAUCC. I only took pictures of the first three muni fun
rides.

Beautiful pics. I just got my uni and I'm ignorant of the ways of MUni, so
please do not be offended. Why is everybody walking up the mountain - is it
impossible to ride up so steep a slope?

Old July 31st 04, 09:30 PM
gerblefranklin

Possibly for some of them, yes it is (unlikeyly, though), but more
likely it's just easier to walk. On long muni rides it's more fun to
walk the clims and save the energy for the downhill. This didn't look
like a very technical ride (from the pictures) though, so it was
probably just because the trail was steep enough and didn't have enough
grip that to ride it would quickly consume energy. That or there's a
large(ish)uphill root sectiopn every few hundred yards that just makes
riding pointless. I personally try to ride as much as possible, but
sometimes I just don't feel like wasting my energy on long, boring
uiphills.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
out?

Old July 31st 04, 09:50 PM
brian.slater

I've seen people Peck a hill (hop up sideways) that they couldn't ride
because it was to steep. Where there's a Will there's a way - always
ride with Will.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old July 31st 04, 10:25 PM
gerblefranklin

brian.slater wrote:
*I've seen people Peck a hill (hop up sideways) that they couldn't
ride because it was to steep. Where there's a Will there's a way -
always ride with Will. *

I've pecked extrememly long distances before. It sucks. One time there
was a long, duty climb of about 700-1000 vertical feet, and I pecked
about 100 of them, before I noticed there was no end in sight and if I
wanted to make it up the hill I'd better walk. At moab 2004 a large part
of the trials course was just a sort of "extreme pecking". The last two
sections were insanely hard, but doable. I tried them and made the first
part after about 10 tries, and the second after about 15. Kris Holm
barely made it, and Ryan Atkins did them both in 2 tries.

Old July 31st 04, 11:04 PM
john_childs

steveyo wrote:
*Beautiful pics. I just got my uni and I'm ignorant of the ways of
MUni, so please do not be offended. Why is everybody walking up the
mountain - is it impossible to ride up so steep a slope? *

The people who were walking were wimps!

I was riding parts of the climb, but most everyone else was walking the
whole way. The climb wasn't too steep to climb, but it was a long climb
and gained about 800 feet. Combine the steepness of the climb and the
altitude (the climb started at about 9000 feet and ended at about 9800
feet) it was a difficult climb, especially for people who live down at
sea level rather than up at 6000+ feet. That climb has a nickname of
something like Puke Hill. Walking the climb was the sensible thing to
do to save the legs and energy for muni rides the next day and the next
day and the next day and the next day.

Hopefully those pictures will shame those people into riding the climb
next time they're on a group muni ride.

Old August 1st 04, 01:01 AM
john_childs

I just added links to 'utahmountainbiking.com'
(http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/index.htm) for trail
descriptions for each day. The links are in the gallery descriptions
for each day. So for everyone there who can't remember what trails they
rode on what day, well, there it is.

Wednesday, July 14th
'Millcreek Pipeline Trail and Rattlesnake Gulch'
(http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/pipeline.htm)
Approximately 7 miles
Elevation loss 700 feet

Thursday, July 15th
'Wasatch Crest Trail and Mill D North Fork'
(http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/wasatch.htm)
Approximately 8 miles
Elevation gain 1000 feet
Elevation loss 2700 feet

Friday, July 16th
'Millcreek, Dog Lake Trail'
(http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/doglake.htm)
Approximately 7 miles
Elevation gain 900 feet
Elevation loss 900 feet
This ride started and ended at the same spot

Saturday, July 17th
Snowbird

Sunday, July 18th
MUni races and trials and 10K marathon at Soldier Hollow