Another useless gimic?

Old October 14th 03, 01:15 AM
Chalo

Default Another useless gimic?

(Alan Walker) wrote:

Saw a very expensive frame in my local bicycle shop with large
diamond-shaped holes in the chainstays. The carbon fibre tubes split
into two, then rejoined, leaving a hole.

That's what happens when bike buyers let silly people make their bikes
out of plastic. (They could have shaped the frame like a carousel
horse instead, but that would have been interesting, so of course they
didn't.)

It's much more difficult to include such ugly and worthless
contrivances when the maker is constrained to a proper material.

Chalo Colina
Old October 14th 03, 02:02 AM
Tim Cain

"Maurizio" wrote in message

"Alan Walker" ha scritto nel messaggio
om...
Saw a very expensive frame in my local bicycle shop with large
diamond-shaped holes in the chainstays. The carbon fibre tubes split
into two, then rejoined, leaving a hole.

Colnago C40 HP, I suppose.

I think it would require spin of election campaign manager proportions
to justify that one.

Not that difficult: it could be enough something like: "the new
diamond-shaped chainstays absorb 25% more road bump than the traditional
ones, weighting 10% less and giving 30% more stiffness to the bottom
bracket"

Nearly right (they oughta give you a job!):

"The Diamond HP (High Power) Stays Engineered Carbon Fiber Diamond shape:
Enhances the Compliant Smooth Ride, Decreases Power Robbing Lateral Flex,
Dampens Vibration".

Here's a translation:

"Yikes! All bikes that meet UCI codes look practically identical!
The paint-job is already as loud as we can make it while still
being able to sell the damn thing - how the hell can we get some
brand-differentiation in there? Ok, let's look back to the
golden age of cycling when people drilled holes in every part of
the bike except the tyre. Holes, holes, holes... ...got it:
We'll do it to the chainstay. Woo-Hoo! Vive la difference!"

Pitiful.

Worthless.

Tim.

---

Old October 14th 03, 02:55 AM
patch70

I have spoken to 3 people who have ridden the old C40 and the newer
C40-HP. All said that the HP chainstays made a noticeable difference in
improving the ride but thought the benefits would be most marked in
bigger riders. Make of that what you will!

Old October 14th 03, 03:20 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:35:27 +0000, Alan Walker wrote:

Saw a very expensive frame in my local bicycle shop with large
diamond-shaped holes in the chainstays. The carbon fibre tubes split into
two, then rejoined, leaving a hole.

I saw one advertised with an "elastomer insert" stuffed into such a hole.
Is this the same bike? The "elastomer" was kind of transparent.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkien

Old October 14th 03, 05:07 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:51:48 +0000, Carl Fogel wrote:

Below is a page that explains what advantages the Colnago engineers
believe their odd-looking frame provides, specifically less lateral and
vertical flexing.

I don't know whether it actually does so or if such stiffness matters, but
I was surprised by how much apparently ignorant scoffing your post
generated. You'd think that rec.bicycles.tech posters would be curious
about a weird new frame from a respected manufacturer.

Well, Colnago has also marketed frames with creased main tubes.

As far as this goes, according to the website you mention:

http://www.trialtir-usa.com/2003-col...0-testing.html

Indeed has a chart purporting to list the 5% increase in vertical flex.
But the scale is revealing, it gives flex in millimeters X 10e4. At the
highest mass tested, 100Kg, the new frame flexed not 600 mm, but 600/10000
mm. .06mm. The old frame flexed 580/10000 mm, .058mm That .002mm
difference is what they are advertising.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]