Heart Rate Monitor Question

Old July 23rd 04, 06:00 AM
Pete

Default Heart Rate Monitor Question

My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set it.
HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
Thankyou kindly,
Peter

Old July 23rd 04, 06:53 AM
byron27

Pete Wrote:
My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set it.
HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
Thankyou kindly,
Peter

are you near power lines, tram lines, train lines??
they all give my HRM a cardiac!

--
byron27

Old July 23rd 04, 07:18 AM
hippy

"Pete" wrote in message
My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set

it.
HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.

Other HRMs nearby will cause craziness as will trams.
Depending on the quality of your HRM (more expensive
Polars are individually coded so as not to interfere with
others) it will most likely happen with trams going by. It
could also be breaking contact with your chest.

hippy

Old July 23rd 04, 07:40 AM
flyingdutch

hippy Wrote:
"Pete" wrote in message
My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set

it.
HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.

Other HRMs nearby will cause craziness as will trams.
Depending on the quality of your HRM (more expensive
Polars are individually coded so as not to interfere with
others) it will most likely happen with trams going by. It
could also be breaking contact with your chest.

hippy

how the heck do you avoid powerlines?

--
flyingdutch

Old July 23rd 04, 08:20 AM
DaveB

Pete wrote:
My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set it.
HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
Thankyou kindly,
Peter

Yep, had the same problem with mine. Try giving the chest strap a good
clean in the grooves where sweat etc gathers. I used a metal skewer and
soapy water. I also found that wetting my chest and the strap beforehand
would get it off to a good start but eventually even that wasn't as good
as actually cleaning it.
DaveB

Old July 23rd 04, 08:27 AM
hippy

"flyingdutch"
Other HRMs nearby will cause craziness as will trams.
Depending on the quality of your HRM (more expensive
Polars are individually coded so as not to interfere with
others) it will most likely happen with trams going by. It
could also be breaking contact with your chest.

how the heck do you avoid powerlines?

I've not had trouble with powerlines with my S710.
Trams cause it havoc and sometimes other riders
do too (even with the unique code feature).

Maybe high voltage lines cause some problems
for some HRMs.. but I've not noticed it with
mine. yet.

hippy

Old July 23rd 04, 11:47 AM
Marty Wallace

"Pete" wrote in message
My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set it.
HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
Thankyou kindly,
Peter

Hi Peter
I know the same problem and it irritates me.
I've found that it usually happens when I've drunk coffee earlier in the
day. Just do a warm-up for the first few minutes until your pulse rythym
stabilises.

Marty

Old July 23rd 04, 11:51 AM
Munk3y

Pete wrote:
My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set it.
HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
Thankyou kindly,
Peter

Sounds like a contact problem - once you start sweating everything seems
ok. Give the transmitter a good clean, and wet your chest before you use
it. Or get a tube of the conducting gel stuff they use in hospitals when
they are applying the monitor pads, I've heard this works a treat.

- Mark Munk3y
Old July 24th 04, 03:19 PM
DRS

"Munk3y" wrote in message

Pete wrote:
My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set
it. HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or
so. Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
Thankyou kindly,

Sounds like a contact problem - once you start sweating everything
seems ok. Give the transmitter a good clean, and wet your chest
before you use it. Or get a tube of the conducting gel stuff they use
in hospitals when they are applying the monitor pads, I've heard this
works a treat.

It's called K-Y. You can even get it at Coles these days. My, how times
have changed.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 24th 04, 10:13 PM
mfhor

byron27 Wrote:
are you near power lines, tram lines, train lines??
they all give my HRM a cardiac!

Try going under the ones at the top of Kinglake hill. Not only do they
fry your HRM transmissions, on wet days they make your hair sizzle as
well.

M"insta-perm"H

--
mfhor

Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Heart rate and training (lack of) Perry Templeton Recumbent Biking 5 May 25th 04 03:39 AM
Heart Rate Monitor findings. Simon Mason UK 40 February 27th 04 11:22 PM