Lance's aerodynamics

Old June 9th 05, 12:04 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Lance's aerodynamics

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...hinelibere--72

OK, the guy's got huge resources behind him to make sure he's got the most
aero bike & wheels & bars in the world, and he rides with his jersey
unzipped in a time trial?

Levi didn't-
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...hinelibere--73

And it's hard to be sure, but looks like Botero didn't either-
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...hinelibere--74

Landis definitely didn't-
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...hinelibere--66

Especially on a very windy day, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to
ride with a jersey like that (unless it was taped down?).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old June 9th 05, 01:06 AM
trg

"Mike Jacoubowsky" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...hinelibere--72

| OK, the guy's got huge resources behind him to make sure he's got the most
| aero bike & wheels & bars in the world, and he rides with his jersey
| unzipped in a time trial?
|
| Levi didn't-
| And it's hard to be sure, but looks like Botero didn't either-
| Landis definitely didn't-
| Especially on a very windy day, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to
| ride with a jersey like that (unless it was taped down?).

Virtual Win !!!!!!!!!

Old June 9th 05, 01:58 AM
NobodyMan

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:04:59 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...hinelibere--72

OK, the guy's got huge resources behind him to make sure he's got the most
aero bike & wheels & bars in the world, and he rides with his jersey
unzipped in a time trial?

Levi didn't-
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...hinelibere--73

And it's hard to be sure, but looks like Botero didn't either-
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...hinelibere--74

Landis definitely didn't-
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...hinelibere--66

Especially on a very windy day, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to
ride with a jersey like that (unless it was taped down?).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

It obviously fit tight enough that he didn't have any flapping - IOW,
it didn't matter one bit.

Old June 9th 05, 02:49 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

It obviously fit tight enough that he didn't have any flapping - IOW,
it didn't matter one bit.

If it fit that tightly, then there also wouldn't be any advantage to having
it open, since it wouldn't be letting any air into the jersey. It's not like
we're talking about somebody who doesn't spend a lot of time figuring things
out... or maybe it's an example of him getting to the point where he just
doesn't sweat (so to speak, in this case) the small stuff anymore?

Old June 9th 05, 03:59 AM
Tom Kunich

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...
It obviously fit tight enough that he didn't have any flapping - IOW,
it didn't matter one bit.

If it fit that tightly, then there also wouldn't be any advantage to
having it open, since it wouldn't be letting any air into the jersey. It's
not like we're talking about somebody who doesn't spend a lot of time
figuring things out... or maybe it's an example of him getting to the
point where he just doesn't sweat (so to speak, in this case) the small
stuff anymore?

Or a point in which sandbagging is a better idea than winning a smaller
race?

Old June 9th 05, 10:26 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 01:49:43 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

It obviously fit tight enough that he didn't have any flapping - IOW,
it didn't matter one bit.

If it fit that tightly, then there also wouldn't be any advantage to having
it open, since it wouldn't be letting any air into the jersey.

I think the bare skin on the chest would be cooler.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old June 9th 05, 11:17 AM
Tony

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote in message ...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20.../index.php?id=

stage3/cycling-dauphinelibere--72

OK, the guy's got huge resources behind him to make sure he's got the most
aero bike & wheels & bars in the world, and he rides with his jersey
unzipped in a time trial?

You're failing to appreciate Lance's hunchback and it's unique areo effects,
which fully make up for any loss due to the unzipped jersey. (Rumor has it
that (among other things) he had his spine fused during the cancer days and
that the UCI - and the French authorities - are considering a retroactive
lifetime ban for this performance enhancing surgury, thus stripping away all
his TDF wins).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...index.php?id=s
tage3/cycling-dauphinelibere--59
http://tinyurl.com/78rvr

His TT position has never looked very areo to me. Due to this grotesque
curvature of his back he must be getting lift from the bernoulli effect,
thus reducing downward pressure on the tires (a problem in cornering), but
actually helping him fly up hills

-Tony

Old June 17th 05, 12:48 AM
Mad Dog

Tom Kunich says...

Or a point in which sandbagging is a better idea than winning a smaller
race?

One must consider that a real possibility.

I'll get back to you in a few weeks...

The aerodynamics of unicycling GizmoDuck Unicycling 5 January 30th 05 04:37 AM
Lance's Historic Ride Badger General 1 November 13th 04 11:32 AM
Lance's fall season..........??? Charles Hizark Racing 12 August 27th 04 01:50 AM
Lance's offroad diversion and helping riders Adam Bender General 14 August 2nd 04 02:30 PM
Lance's fall season Heinz Getzler Racing 4 July 31st 03 03:42 PM