24.0mm seatpost?

Old September 13th 05, 04:01 PM

Default 24.0mm seatpost?

Hi All,

anyone know of a source for a 24.0mm seatpost?

I was given an old steel Peugeot road bike, and I'm fitting it out for
a bit of road training. This size seems to have been fitted only to
these cheaper Peugeots for a period in the 80's/early 90's.

It's currently got a plain alloy seat post with seperate pressed steel
clamp.
The tilt adjustment on the seatpost clamp is a bit coarse - I can't
quite get the tilt I'd like. A microadjust 2-bolt design would be
ideal.
I'd also like another 2cm. or so of seatpost height, but it's on the
limit line now.

There are a few old threads on this problem.
A lot of people used to have them, can't find anyone who has one to
hand now.

I'm not wild on shimming up a 22.2mm bmx sized post, and even less keen
on turning down a larger post to fit, but that's the direction I'm
heading if I can't find somthing suitable.

Any leads or suggestions?

TIA,

bookieb.

Old September 13th 05, 06:08 PM
Mark Thompson

I'd also like another 2cm. or so of seatpost height, but it's on the
limit line now.

2cm? Might just be enough to 'justify' a new (bigger framed) bike.. :-)

I've never had any problems raising the post slightly above the limit line.
It's a road bike tho so doens't get much abuse.
Old September 13th 05, 07:00 PM
Pete Biggs

Mark Thompson wrote:
I'd also like another 2cm. or so of seatpost height, but it's on the
limit line now.

2cm? Might just be enough to 'justify' a new (bigger framed) bike..
:-)

I've never had any problems raising the post slightly above the limit
line. It's a road bike tho so doens't get much abuse.

On a conventional frame, it's important that the post extends past the
bottom of the top tube.

~PB

Old September 14th 05, 10:11 AM

Pete Biggs wrote:
Mark Thompson wrote:

snip
2cm? Might just be enough to 'justify' a new (bigger framed) bike..
:-)

snip
On a conventional frame, it's important that the post extends past the
bottom of the top tube.

~PB

Hmmm... I like Mark's line of thinking - similar to my own.
I go out looking for a seatpost, come back with a new bike.
Curse you, shiny showroom full of shiny, shiny bikes. I'm not a bad
person, just weak - it's a disease I tell you. Now searching for
suitable excuses to justify purchase to SO... ;-)

I've promised myself that when I complete a century run, I'll treat
myself to somthing new.

I'm not keen to push beyond the limit mark - I'm heavy enough (14st+)
to think twice about it, and I'd like the better tilt adjustability of
a decent post anyway.

Just to answer my own question, following up a lead in
rec.bicycles.tech, I emailed yellow jersey, a bike shop in Wisconsin
USA, yesterday.
Reply waiting for me this morning, pointing to -
http://www.yellowjersey.org/frogstem.html
Just the job. Local enquiries have drawn a blank so far, so if I don't
come up with anything closer today, I'll place an order.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

bookieb

Old September 15th 05, 08:26 AM
David Bentley

In message .com,
writes

Just to answer my own question, following up a lead in
rec.bicycles.tech, I emailed yellow jersey, a bike shop in Wisconsin
USA, yesterday.
Reply waiting for me this morning, pointing to -
http://www.yellowjersey.org/frogstem.html
Just the job. Local enquiries have drawn a blank so far, so if I don't
come up with anything closer today, I'll place an order.

I'm in a similar situation to you and when I emailed them about the
24mm seatpost for my Peugeot, that I'm going to use as a winter bike, I
got this reply

"The vintage post shown was borrowed for the photo. When last I had
that Stronglight post they were $89.95 . We can supply
a short chromed steel post at $9.95. Both are why we had the others made
for us".

I don't really want a chromed steel post (how soon before starts
rusting?) and with shipping costs and duty $89-95 seems a bit steep!

--
David Bentley
Old September 15th 05, 11:10 AM
Sandy Morton

I'm in a similar situation to you and when I emailed them about the 24mm
seatpost for my Peugeot, that I'm going to use as a winter bike, I got
this reply

Try your nearest metal supermarket for a bit of alloy bar - even if it has
to be machined it shouldn't be more than a tenner.