Mechanics Training???

Old November 27th 05, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Mechanics Training???

Hey peeps,

For my new job at the bike shop I want to learn more mechanical stuff.
I have a basic knowledge but have always left the experinced stuff to
my LBS which have given me the job. I'm mainly sales and replacing
inner tubes. The company is going to put me forward for training in the
new year but I want to get a head start on things and I'm looking for
somewhere in North London that isn't going to cost me the earth that
will train me. I need to learn the jargon skills techniques, etc etc.
I'm an experinced cyclist but the technical stuff just failed me as
knowing what doo hickey was called what didn't enhance the riding
experince.

Thanks

TR

Old November 27th 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

TrailRat wrote:
Hey peeps,

For my new job at the bike shop I want to learn more
mechanical stuff. I have a basic knowledge but have always
left the experinced stuff to my LBS which have given me the
job. I'm mainly sales and replacing inner tubes. The company
is going to put me forward for training in the new year but I
want to get a head start on things and I'm looking for
somewhere in North London that isn't going to cost me the
earth that will train me. I need to learn the jargon skills
techniques, etc etc. I'm an experinced cyclist but the
technical stuff just failed me as knowing what doo hickey was
called what didn't enhance the riding experince.

Thanks

TR

Have a browse he
http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html
I'm sure you'll learn something.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Old November 27th 05, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"TrailRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey peeps,

For my new job at the bike shop I want to learn more mechanical stuff.
I have a basic knowledge but have always left the experinced stuff to
my LBS which have given me the job. I'm mainly sales and replacing
inner tubes. The company is going to put me forward for training in the
new year but I want to get a head start on things and I'm looking for
somewhere in North London that isn't going to cost me the earth that
will train me. I need to learn the jargon skills techniques, etc etc.
I'm an experinced cyclist but the technical stuff just failed me as
knowing what doo hickey was called what didn't enhance the riding
experince.

Get a decent book. There's not a lot you can't learn without a book and a
workstand that at least gets the back wheel clear of the ground. And
remember, it's much easier to turn a derailleur limit screw if the
derailleur's not being limited by the screw at the time .

Old November 27th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

TrailRat wrote:

Hey peeps,

For my new job at the bike shop

So its not H*lf*rds then.

I want to learn more mechanical stuff.
I have a basic knowledge but have always left the experinced stuff to
my LBS which have given me the job. I'm mainly sales and replacing
inner tubes. The company is going to put me forward for training in the
new year but I want to get a head start on things and I'm looking for
somewhere in North London that isn't going to cost me the earth that
will train me.

The Bike Inn has received some very good reports and the two-week course
looks *very* attractive.
I am umming and erring about signing up.
http://www.bike-inn.co.uk/

However, for more basic maintenance you could contact Cycle Training UK
who hold sessions in central London:
http://www.cycletraining.co.uk/train...hp#maintenance

Or you could try the London Cycling Campaign which also runs occasional
courses;
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=565

Good luck - and if its H*lf*rds bikes you deal with, you'll need it ;-)

John B

Old November 28th 05, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:14:18 +0000, Doki wrote:

Get a decent book. There's not a lot you can't learn without a book

But the books are all working on clean bikes, with easily turned bolts
& screws. And they're all picturing the fashionable components of the day,
which leaves out coverage of older and newer stuff (granted they can't
cover newer). Maybe the best thing for TrailRat to do would be to find a
"Doctor Bike" operation somewhere nearby and volunteer to help on
Saturdays? That way there will be a supply of problems _and_ someone
who can give advice when they're outside the Rat's experience.

Mike
Old November 28th 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

John B wrote:
TrailRat wrote:

Hey peeps,

For my new job at the bike shop

So its not H*lf*rds then.

I'm afraid it is. The H*lf*rds nearest me is my LBS and they do an
excellent job. I know other stores are crap and until they improve
avoid them like the plague. I was drafted in to improve the store that
was second closest to me. They have a decent mechanic but sh***y sales
and high lack of admin. That's why I was sent in to help improve. Our
store is still sh*t but by June next year we should have it running at
a fair level.

TR

Track Sprint Training Hamish Ferguson Racing 0 October 8th 05 11:16 AM
Priorities for cycle training Tilly UK 10 July 3rd 05 11:32 AM
%$!#-&*@ Tamyka Bell Australia 82 April 18th 05 01:16 PM
Cycle Training and Education Conference 2005 National Standard Cycle Training Helpline UK 0 March 30th 05 11:43 AM
ReL lactate testing / training Andy Coggan Racing 0 July 15th 04 10:18 PM