A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Yikes! Di2

Old December 18th 19, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Yikes! Di2

I was talking to the man in the bike shop yesterday about how to wire up the Di2. He said to being in everything and let him look at it so I did.

He said that the lever only used a single connector and that was prone to some sort of troubles that I don't think he was knowledgeable about. That all of the new levers had three connectors each.

As an engineer none of that makes sense to me but I'll believe him. This set was only $600 and that's less than the cost of the levers alone on eBay.

Does anyone know what the problems with the levers is and how a couple of switches need "upgraded" software that won't work in these levers?
Ads
Old December 18th 19, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Yikes! Di2

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:37:06 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
I was talking to the man in the bike shop yesterday about how to wire up the Di2. He said to being in everything and let him look at it so I did.

He said that the lever only used a single connector and that was prone to some sort of troubles that I don't think he was knowledgeable about. That all of the new levers had three connectors each.

As an engineer none of that makes sense to me but I'll believe him. This set was only $600 and that's less than the cost of the levers alone on eBay.

Does anyone know what the problems with the levers is and how a couple of switches need "upgraded" software that won't work in these levers?

There is nothing wrong with you levers. You only can't mount sprinter or TT switches in parallel with default ones. Only the first DA was weird.

Lou
Old December 18th 19, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Yikes! Di2

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 8:07:13 AM UTC-8, wrote:

There is nothing wrong with you levers. You only can't mount sprinter or TT switches in parallel with default ones. Only the first DA was weird.

Lou

Thanks for that information Lou. I suspected as much since my analysis of these levers is that they are nothing but switches.
Old December 18th 19, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Yikes! Di2

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 11:28:05 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:

Lou

Thanks for that information Lou. I suspected as much since my analysis of these levers is that they are nothing but switches.

Post the product number(s) for the levers.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 19th 19, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Yikes! Di2

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 12:02:10 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:

Lou

-- Jay Beattie.

ST-R785

The interface is SM-EW90-B
Old December 19th 19, 09:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Yikes! Di2

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 1:03:12 AM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Lou

-- Jay Beattie.

ST-R785

Same shifters I have on my cross bike. Going strong for almost 6 year now. Each shifter has one E connections which you connect to the junction box A underneath the stem which has three or five E connections (if you only use three stub the other 2). Junction box A connect to junction box B near or in the bottom bracket. The battery and the FD and RD are connected to the junction box B which has 4 E connections.

Lou
Old December 19th 19, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Yikes! Di2

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 1:01:59 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 1:03:12 AM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Lou

-- Jay Beattie.

ST-R785

Same shifters I have on my cross bike. Going strong for almost 6 year now.. Each shifter has one E connections which you connect to the junction box A underneath the stem which has three or five E connections (if you only use three stub the other 2). Junction box A connect to junction box B near or in the bottom bracket. The battery and the FD and RD are connected to the junction box B which has 4 E connections.

Lou

I have the cable version. It's a non-series lever that was sold as part of the 105 and Ultegra groups, although it now shows as Alfine. Some people disliked the levers because they are big, but I like them and think the new Ultegra hydro STI levers feel small. As an aside, one benefit of Di2 is that you don't have the dopey and somewhat fragile internal cable guides through the lever body that can wear out over time.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 19th 19, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Yikes! Di2

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 7:37:06 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:

As an engineer none of that makes sense to me but I'll believe him. This set was only $600 and that's less than the cost of the levers alone on eBay..

The back of the stem unit appears to take a 5 connector push-on-style connector. That would make sense so that nothing could get into the connector in rain etc. But I cannot find any reference to a connector like that and the local shops really don't know much about it. I would think - one wire each to the levers, one wire to the battery supply and one wire each to the front and rear derailleur. I'm sure that the bottom bracket junction block gives you the ability to have reasonable length wires from the stem unit and then you can buy the correct length wires to the front and rear derailleurs.
Old December 19th 19, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Yikes! Di2

On 12/19/2019 10:36 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

The back of the stem unit appears to take a 5 connector push-on-style connector. That would make sense so that nothing could get into the connector in rain etc. But I cannot find any reference to a connector like that and the local shops really don't know much about it. I would think - one wire each to the levers, one wire to the battery supply and one wire each to the front and rear derailleur. I'm sure that the bottom bracket junction block gives you the ability to have reasonable length wires from the stem unit and then you can buy the correct length wires to the front and rear derailleurs.

And on the "shift cable vs. electronics" debate: it's vanishingly rare
for anyone to say "I can't figure out how this shift cable is supposed
to to connect from the lever to the derailleur."

Ah, the price of "progress"!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 19th 19, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Yikes! Di2

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 4:36:28 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

Tom connect each shifter to the 'stem' connection box, connect 'stem' connection box to 'bottom' bracket connection box, connect FD to 'bottom' bracket connection box, connect RD to 'bottom' bracket connection box and connect the battery to the 'bottom' bracket connection box. All with the same cables only different in length. This leaves you with two unused ports in the 'stem' connection box. Stub those. It is pretty straight forward.

Lou