Campy CDA crank date code

Old May 29th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

Default Campy CDA crank date code

On May 28, 5:52*pm, wrote:
On May 28, 2:02*am, "* * Chas" wrote:

I picked up a Campy Croce D'Aune gruppo last week. The date code on the
crank arms is 41 in a square. I haven't been able to find what year that
translates to.

Chas.

Dear Chas,

Could the "41" be just the minimum number of teeth?

"1967: The Record crankset is changed to a 144mm bolt circle (41 tooth
minimum) from the previous 151mm bolt circle (44 tooth minimum)."

*http://www.campyonly.com/history/timeline.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

CDA was 135mm BCD, hence 39t min.
Old May 29th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 29, 4:12*am, "* * Chas" wrote:

[41 in a square, Crotchety Leon crank DOM?]

email, ask?

(STM there was a good list out there, I didn't find it either)
(Will look for link in link list, later)

--D-y
Old May 29th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote:
Could the "41" be just the minimum number of teeth?
"1967: The Record crankset is changed to a 144mm bolt circle (41

tooth
minimum) from the previous 151mm bolt circle (44 tooth minimum)."
http://www.campyonly.com/history/timeline.html

Hank wrote:
That's unlikely, since the CDA crank had a 135mm BCD, like all Campy
full-sized doubles from C-Record onwards. Rings were available as
small as 39t (didn't TA make a 38?).

38t SR-Sakae and later TA for the 130 format, never saw one for 135mm

I never noticed any pattern to Campagnolo crank markings of the era so I
can't help with the OP's query.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

FSA also has 38T 130mm chainrings.

Chas.

Old May 30th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hank wrote:
That's unlikely, since the CDA crank had a 135mm BCD, like all Campy
full-sized doubles from C-Record onwards. Rings were available as
small as 39t (didn't TA make a 38?).

38t SR-Sakae and later TA for the 130 format, never saw one for 135mm

I never noticed any pattern to Campagnolo crank markings of the era so I
can't help with the OP's query.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I used to have a chart that talked about what it all meant. Shape was
the month, number was the year or something.
Old May 30th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 30 May 2008 05:22:54 -0700 (PDT), "Qui si parla
Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote:

Hank wrote:
That's unlikely, since the CDA crank had a 135mm BCD, like all Campy
full-sized doubles from C-Record onwards. Rings were available as
small as 39t (didn't TA make a 38?).

38t SR-Sakae and later TA for the 130 format, never saw one for 135mm

I never noticed any pattern to Campagnolo crank markings of the era so I
can't help with the OP's query.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I used to have a chart that talked about what it all meant. Shape was
the month, number was the year or something.

Dear Peter,

It turns out to be a nightmare date code:

"Also, the crank arms can have a code consisting of a diamond
(1970's), circle (1980's), square (late non-fluted SR), etc. with a
number in the center possibly denoting the last digit of the year of
manufacture."
http://www.campyonly.com/tipstrivia.html

"Starting in 1973 the crank arms have a code consisting of a diamond
(1970's), circle (1980's), square (late Super Record), with a number
in the center denoting the last digit of the year of manufacture (some
exceptions:11=1985, 22=1986, 33=1987 plus others)."
http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html

Where "41" in a square on a Croce D'Aune crank fits in this dating
scheme is a mystery covered by "possibly" and "plus others".

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 30th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
It turns out to be a nightmare date code:
"Also, the crank arms can have a code consisting of a diamond
(1970's), circle (1980's), square (late non-fluted SR), etc. with a
number in the center possibly denoting the last digit of the year of
manufacture."
http://www.campyonly.com/tipstrivia.html
"Starting in 1973 the crank arms have a code consisting of a diamond
(1970's), circle (1980's), square (late Super Record), with a number
in the center denoting the last digit of the year of manufacture (some
exceptions:11=1985, 22=1986, 33=1987 plus others)."
http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html
Where "41" in a square on a Croce D'Aune crank fits in this dating
scheme is a mystery covered by "possibly" and "plus others".

Just as I suspected, some Italian toolmaker dropped random numbers in
the dies every once and a while.
Old May 30th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

Hank wrote:
[...]

Carl,

To add to the mystery, I have a documented 1994 C-Record crankset with 94
in a square.

The CDA gruppo is on a 1985 Eddy Merckx bike almost the same as this one
except for saddle, rims and color - mine is all red.

http://velospace.org/node/1903

CDA from what I can tell didn't come out until 1988. I'm guessing that the
frame hung in a bike shop until 1988 or later and then was assembled with
the CDA gruppo.

Chas.

Old May 30th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 30, 1:43*pm, A Muzi wrote:

Just as I suspected, some Italian toolmaker dropped random numbers in
the dies every once and a while.

It's a way of attaining a measure of short-term immortality. --D-y
Old May 30th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message
On May 30, 1:43 pm, A Muzi wrote:

Just as I suspected, some Italian toolmaker dropped random numbers in
the dies every once and a while.

It's a way of attaining a measure of short-term immortality. --D-y

Back in the mid 70s were building up a pro bike frame with a full Campy NR
gruppo. One of our mechanics was having problems installing the left
pedal. Upon closer examination we discovered that the pedal had a double
lead left hand thread. Someone had to have intentionally threaded the
pedal with a double lead thread.

Chas./