Damned Central Heating!

Old April 6th 19, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Damned Central Heating!

On Saturday, April 6, 2019 at 7:47:13 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 4/5/2019 5:58 PM, Bob F wrote:

snip

A pile of stupid assumptions. They just don't run windmills until the
wind is sufficient to spin them up to speed. If there is not enough wind
to get them up to speed unloaded, why would they spin them at all. They
would not get any power from them even if they do. They quite obviously
produce substantially more power than they use or they wouldn't have
been built in the first place, or the designer was an idiot, and they
would quickly go out of business. Maybe an idiot built the ones you are
talking about, but that is clearly not the case in general.

This is true. If you drive over the passes where there are windmill
farms they are either going like crazy or stopped. They don't run them
at all in low wind situations because there's no point in doing so and
it causes more wear on them. The do put substantial amounts of
electricity onto the grid.

They are not "going like crazy or stopped". I have explained that since the Altamont Pass can have high speed winds pretty often that the windmills at the tops of the hills are "high speed wind turbines". That means that they do not produce power in lower speed winds and that they are being drive to maintain their synchronization speeds.

Those that are "stopped" are those on the far sides of the hills that only get sufficient wind when the wind direction is just right for their positions. These are not only stopped but disconnected from the power grid.

You are in a position to actually call up Wind Power and ask them questions, so why don't you do that rather than say things here about things you don't understand. And especially after I quoted from power companies what they are doing.

The very BEST year of the "renewable" power PG&E only generated 3% of their power from the entire set-up. And they do not tell us what the actual costs of this was and it was DAMNED expensive - more than the power was worth.
Old April 7th 19, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 11:30:55 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

much deleted

Of course the thing to do is what my grandparents, on my father's
side, did when they first moved off the farm. Own your own wood lot
and cut the stove wood that you need for cooking. Don't heat the whole
house, just the kitchen with the wood fired cook stove, use kerosene
lamps and an Ice Box to store food.

Just think of all that savings on electricity.

FWIW, we drove through an Amish area a couple weeks ago. It's
interesting to notice the large houses that have no power lines or
telephone lines going to them. It must have been wash day, because many
of them had laundry flying from clotheslines in the sun. There were some
large piles of firewood, very neatly stacked; and we spotted several
solar panels.

My wife is a firm believer in drying clothes in sunlight, She says it
kills germs and makes them smell better.
(I'm not sure whether there is a correlation between killing germs and
smelling good :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 7th 19, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/6/2019 11:16 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 11:30:55 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

FWIW, we drove through an Amish area a couple weeks ago. It's
interesting to notice the large houses that have no power lines or
telephone lines going to them. It must have been wash day, because many
of them had laundry flying from clotheslines in the sun. There were some
large piles of firewood, very neatly stacked; and we spotted several
solar panels.

My wife is a firm believer in drying clothes in sunlight, She says it
kills germs and makes them smell better.
(I'm not sure whether there is a correlation between killing germs and
smelling good :-)

I like using the "solar clothes dryer" too! Instead of using gas and/or
electricity, it seems to me like a free gift. I agree with your wife
about the smell, too. And I actually like the appearance of clothes
drying on a line. There's something pleasantly homey about it.

So if I happen to be around when the clothes washer stops, I hang the
clothes outside. But if my wife gets there first, she chucks them in the
gas dryer. :-(

I've heard of some U.S. communities where it's against the rules to dry
clothes on a line. That's just stupid.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 8th 19, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 11:14:02 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/6/2019 11:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

See
https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/hd...s-get-new-look
for clothes drying in the Singapore Housing Board flats :-)

As for not drying clothes on a line, it sounds like another
Americanism... Oh! We are so rich that we have a clothes dryer!

(Back in the day it was called :keeping up with the Joneses)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 9th 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

She knows whereof she speaketh.