Upgrading Custom Paramount OS....

Old August 25th 05, 05:13 PM

Default Upgrading Custom Paramount OS....

Alan wrote:
I have a Paramount OS that was made for me in 1991. The frame is in great
shape. I am trying to understand if it is possible to upgrade to integrated
brake levers/shifters from shifters on the tube. I don't necessarily want
to buy all new Dura stuff, too $$$. My bike has a mixture of Dura-Ace and
Ult.600 with a seven speed cassette. I have been told Shimano makes the
equipment to accommodate the 7 speed cassette, but it is not of the highest
quality components. I think it is called Sora.

I have also been told that it is possible to spread the stays (not
permanently) in the back to accommodate a wheelset that would normally fit a
bike with a 130mm spread and therefore a 10 speed cassette. Mine is spaced
at 125mm. Getting a new wheelset seems the best stratedgy, but does it
really work?

Any thoughts or questions would be great!

Alan