New Campa Record and Chorus 11 speed

Old May 17th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Default New Campa Record and Chorus 11 speed

I just read on a Dutch bike forum, that Campa will go 11 speed. Th estory
came from a LBS owner. Can anyone confirm: full carbon rd, ceramic jockey
wheels, 11 speed.

Derk
Old May 17th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Derk wrote:

That should be "ceramic jockey wheel bearings".

Can anyone confirm the story?

Derk

Old May 17th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Derk wrote:

I just read on a Dutch bike forum, that Campa will go 11 speed. Th estory
came from a LBS owner. Can anyone confirm: full carbon rd, ceramic jockey
wheels, 11 speed.

He was Dutch, and therefore probably high when he said that.

The usual sources of rumors and information have had nothing suggesting
11-speed is coming, and I frankly don't believe it.

Both Shimano and Campy have been testing electronic shifters in the pro
peloton for several years, and bits of that are starting to look very
close to production-ready, though it may be Shimano that is
first-to-market.

Indeed, Cycling News seems to think Shimano is on the verge of
introducing TWO all-new Dura-Ace groups next year:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...shimano_da09_r
umours_mar08

Basically, there will be a Dura-Ace 7900, with more cable throw to make
shifting more reliable and less compatible, and then something called
Di2, their magical electro-shifting wunderkind (I'm disappointed they
didn't call it "Positron," or better yet, "Electron.")

Here's some glamor shots from the peloton's bikes:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008....php?id=/tech/
2008/features/wevelgem_tech108

Campy's electric system is less visible:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/...article_144236
..html

They seem more concerned about competing with SRAM's "Red" technology:

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/sec...x?FamilyID=220
3

Old May 17th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

He was Dutch, and therefore probably high when he said that.

I'm not even going to respond to that, although it would be very easy to
insult you too.

Derk
Old May 17th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Derk wrote:
I'm not even going to respond to that, although it would be very easy to
insult you too.

Our staff reports the tourists are doing the heavy lifting on cannabis
in Amsterdam, not so much the locals.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 17th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 17, 7:58 am, Derk wrote:
I just read on a Dutch bike forum, that Campa will go 11 speed. Th estory
came from a LBS owner. Can anyone confirm: full carbon rd, ceramic jockey
wheels, 11 speed.

Will there be a Nigel Tufnel special edition?
Old May 17th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pete

landotter wrote:
On May 17, 7:58 am, Derk wrote:
I just read on a Dutch bike forum, that Campa will go 11 speed. Th estory
came from a LBS owner. Can anyone confirm: full carbon rd, ceramic jockey
wheels, 11 speed.

Will there be a Nigel Tufnel special edition?

I'll just make 10 higher on my bike.

Pete
Old May 18th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Derk wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

He was Dutch, and therefore probably high when he said that.

I'm not even going to respond to that, although it would be very easy to
insult you too.

Of course it would be easy to insult me! But would your source prefer me
to believe that he has no mitigating excuse for disseminating such an
unlikely rumor?

Here's the skinny: there are very, very few LBS owners who get special
knowledge of this sort of group-change ahead of the usual rumors sites.
Among other things, I would expect to see that getting tested in the pro
peloton, I'd expect to hear rumors from major sites (Velonews and
Cycling News in English), and I'd expect to hear rumblings that started
around Interbike or Eurobike, those being the big annual trade shows.

I would be very skeptical of such an uncreative* rumor where the first
source was someone who heard it from an LBS owner.

As for the insult, you should hear me when I get started with the
"Hampsten won on the Gavia" and "the official language of the
Netherlands is English" trolls.

Ted and Ewoud over in rbr love them!

*"uncreative" because the gradual progression from 5 to 10 speeds has
been so regular that it's an easy prediction to suggest that, at some
point some maker will no longer be able to resist the temptation to go
to eleven. As long as we're talking about practicalities, 9-to-10 was
already clearly in the Land of Diminishing Returns, and 10-to-11 has a
real chance of being a indisputable trip to the Land of Marketing Crap
That Makes The Bike Worse. To the extent more gears are needed, there's
probably a better case for production quad chainrings. And that's a
pretty weak case.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
Old May 18th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
landotter wrote:

On May 17, 7:58 am, Derk wrote:
I just read on a Dutch bike forum, that Campa will go 11 speed. Th estory
came from a LBS owner. Can anyone confirm: full carbon rd, ceramic jockey
wheels, 11 speed.

Will there be a Nigel Tufnel special edition?

Yes. It will be introduced in Cleveland.

Old May 18th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave Mayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaD9v460yI