Solid tires - they are back...

Old December 4th 14, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default Solid tires - they are back...

jbeattie writes:

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:31:46 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 04/12/14 07:46, Joerg wrote:

Then you have probably never mounted Gatorskin tires on flat Mavic
racing rims. I could only do one a day because my fingertips hurt
so bad.

Sensible people carefully use a tyre lever to help a tight tyre on
to a rim.

I have Gatorskins on some MA3/Open Pros, and they're a breeze to get
on and off. Nothing compared to first generation Turbos on
E2/ModEs. For those, I ended up using the VAR tool:
http://images.cdn.bigcartel.com/bigc..._jack-1-wm.jpg

Nice. That has been out of production for awhile.
Maybe I'll ride over to North Park this weekend
and pick one up. I have the Koolstop tire jack,
which works well but is a bit large for carrying
on the bike.

--
Joe Riel
Old December 5th 14, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

cOOL RIM, warm tire..rim is prepped clean right ?

Place tool one into rim and hook, then turn rim so hook is opposite your abdomen

SQUEEZE tire walls both hands pushing tire around rim towards hook.

do this 3 times

spray CRC silicone on bead ahead of first tool then place 2nd tool in that sprayed area...

repeat squeezers.

dumb submitting that to experts but I surveyed the field finding no response
Old December 5th 14, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:00:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
cOOL RIM, warm tire..rim is prepped clean right ?

Place tool one into rim and hook, then turn rim so hook is opposite your abdomen

SQUEEZE tire walls both hands pushing tire around rim towards hook.

do this 3 times

spray CRC silicone on bead ahead of first tool then place 2nd tool in that sprayed area...

repeat squeezers.

dumb submitting that to experts but I surveyed the field finding no response

Hard to do all that in the winter on the side of the road.

Cheers
Old December 5th 14, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

James wrote:
On 04/12/14 07:46, Joerg wrote:

Then you have probably never mounted Gatorskin tires on flat Mavic
racing rims. I could only do one a day because my fingertips hurt so bad.

Sensible people carefully use a tyre lever to help a tight tyre on to a
rim.

The first one snapped right off. If you have deep rims they are easy but
on flat Mavics that is a different story. One guy was told by the bike
dealer after having just bought Gatorskins "Good luck getting them on".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 5th 14, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
Joerg considered Wed, 03 Dec 2014
12:46:16 -0800 the perfect time to write:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:15:49 PM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
On 12/3/2014 12:53 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:59:08 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 12/3/2014 5:35 AM, somebody wrote:
They reappear every 10-15 years...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...punctures.html

Based on the website, Tannus is very enthusiastic about showing
off the bright color choices for the tires. But it doesn't
seem to think rolling resistance data is worth mentioning.
That makes me skeptical.
They do say that the same energy necessary to get a pneumatic
tire (what tire, we don't know) up to 30kph would get the Tannus
up to 29kph. There is no discussion of ride quality, cornering,
wet grip -- or anything other than "it doesn't flat, and it is
not too much of a pig."

The telling point is that it took the author 1 hour and lots of
swearing to get the tire on the rim. I probably spend less than
that fixing flats over the life of a single tire. ...

Then you have probably never mounted Gatorskin tires on flat Mavic
racing rims. I could only do one a day because my fingertips hurt so bad.

I've found Gatorskins easier than most, and now my son uses them (who
isn't too good at looking where he is going, so tends to run over a
lot of puncture producing [even with Gatorskins] debris), I do tend to
get plenty of practice.
It's not helped by the way he keeps sliding the back wheel under
braking, so there are several areas of the tread that are a bit thin.

Umm, what tread? Gatorskins don't have any on their running surface.
They are slicks.

I used them for several years with a grand total of one flat, over a
mileage which consumed 2 rear tyres and a front (plus the ones that
are still on there). The flat was on one that was badly worn, so I
can forgive the tyre for that one.
Earlier this evening, he turned up with yet another flat, and I didn't
even use levers to remove the tyre - just my hands. The rims are
whatever Fuji used as standard about 10 years ago on their higher end
bikes (I don't know what, as they put their own stickers on them).
And I have arthritis in both hands, so if I can do it, it can't be all
that hard.
Maybe you are afflicted with oversized rims or ones with very shallow
wells?

Mavic shallow (practically flat) rims, almost the worst when it comes to
mounting Gatorskins. I wish they made these tires just a hair larger
like others. The Vredesteins always went on and off in a jiffy but they
weren't able to take the roads out here. Or what is sometimes called road.

[...]

Old December 5th 14, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 17:32:27 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John B. Slocomb" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 07:24:59 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/3/2014 4:35 AM, somebody wrote:
They reappear every 10-15 years...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...punctures.html

In our industry this sort of thing comes and goes, at least
for a hundred+ years now. In the auto business, half baked
ideas become mandated.

Like "Air Bags" that I understand have killed a number of people and
are now being replaced, by some manufacturers, in a big recall program
with an "improved version" that is said not to kill people.

A military enemy will usually cause woundings if possible - wounded comrades
are a burden on the others.

Conversely; airbags kill you so you don't smash your head on the windshield
and get brain damage and become a burden.

The original news item I read - pregnant woman killed by air bag -
sounded sort of exaggerated so I researched it a bit and apparently
certain manufacturer's gas generators can explode rather then burn
to generate gas if over a certain number of years old. The explosion
creates shrapnel which apparently was the cause of the woman's death.

Strange that as the military has been using gas generators in egress
systems for 50 years or more, far longer than in automobiles.
Apparently the knowledge is out there although unlike automobiles the
military is not building something as cheaply as possible.
--
cheers,

John B.Slocomb
Old December 5th 14, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 04/12/14 07:46, Joerg wrote:

Then you have probably never mounted Gatorskin tires on flat Mavic
racing rims. I could only do one a day because my fingertips hurt
so bad.

Sensible people carefully use a tyre lever to help a tight tyre on
to a rim.

I have Gatorskins on some MA3/Open Pros, and they're a breeze to get
on and off. Nothing compared to first generation Turbos on
E2/ModEs. For those, I ended up using the VAR tool:
http://images.cdn.bigcartel.com/bigc..._jack-1-wm.jpg

Nice. That has been out of production for awhile.
Maybe I'll ride over to North Park this weekend
and pick one up. I have the Koolstop tire jack,
which works well but is a bit large for carrying
on the bike.

I still have one of the VAR tools in a drawer somewhere, but I haven't had a problem mounting a tire in a long time -- and no chronic problems since the first generation Kevlar bead tires in the late '70s and early '80s. I'll get a tight tire now and then, but nothing like the old days when I wondered whether I had bought a 650B by mistake.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 5th 14, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

On 04/12/14 07:46, Joerg wrote:

[...]

I use one not so much from necessity but for convenience---the
convenience of not suffering a sore chest for a month after
straining an intercostal to mount a modestly tight tire. That's
happened a few times and is annoying. I know it when it happens,
but the soreness doesn't show up for a day or so and lingers for
quite a while.

--
Joe Riel
Old December 5th 14, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
Joerg considered Thu, 04 Dec 2014
19:32:10 -0800 the perfect time to write:

wrote:
[...]

Tread != pattern.
All tyres have tread, even slicks. It's the bit of the tyre that is
designed to contact the road.
What they don't have is gaps in it (unless they have wear indicator
holes).

Probably correct. It's just that in the US tread is often understood as
patterned:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/-SLICK...EAD,61739.html

[...]

Well, I'd blame the rim, not the tyre.

Then they should say so in the technical description. I was almost ready
to send them back for refund. In the end I did a pre-stretch overnight
and was able to mount one per day using a lot of force. If I ever get a
flat on my road bike I am not going to attempt fixing it on the road but
I'd push it home. Because of the extra thick tubes it rolls almost as if
there was air in the tubes even with no pressure as long as you don't
sit on it.

If you think Gatorskins are hard work, good luck with a Marathon+

I rode Marathons on a loaned bike in Germany. I don't think those would
hold up too well out here.

Old December 5th 14, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 05/12/2014 20:02, Joerg wrote:

If you think Gatorskins are hard work, good luck with a Marathon+

I rode Marathons on a loaned bike in Germany. I don't think those would
hold up too well out here.

Marathon plus, not just Marathon. Pigs to fit, but can cope with quite
big spikes.

Though normal Marathon's are pretty good.

solid tires dunawan Unicycling 9 December 9th 06 06:54 AM
solid tires dunawan Unicycling 0 December 9th 06 04:24 AM
Does a spoked rim deform then pop back? Or is it like a solid disk? DonO Unicycling 10 November 16th 05 11:48 PM
Matching tires front and back waxbytes General 16 November 7th 05 02:13 AM
pneumatic vs. solid tires for pre-schoolers meb Techniques 2 April 18th 04 08:08 AM