understanding the rear sprocket

Old March 21st 15, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default understanding the rear sprocket

I just now disassembled the rear sprocket of my old
Crescent model.

On one of the parts, it says "Made in Germany".

Here are two photos:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/sprocket1.jpg
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/sprocket2.jpg

I just thought of a pleasant and interesting game:
What are the names of the parts? What are their
properties and purposes? What tools/substances are
involved in repair and maintenance? And what is the
conventional wisdom of do and don't?

Hit me

--
underground experts united
Old March 21st 15, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

begin hear

http://goo.gl/Wr96rp

I am engrossed by Images...in Lancia pillar suspension there's a photo of a buck.

Old March 22nd 15, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/21/2015 5:16 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I just now disassembled the rear sprocket of my old
Crescent model.

On one of the parts, it says "Made in Germany".

Here are two photos:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/sprocket1.jpg
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/sprocket2.jpg

I just thought of a pleasant and interesting game:
What are the names of the parts? What are their
properties and purposes? What tools/substances are
involved in repair and maintenance? And what is the
conventional wisdom of do and don't?

Hit me

Standard German coaster brake (can't read brake arm). Komet,
Centrix, Durex, Torpedo all similar design and small parts
interchange.

You probably don't have the lockring wrench:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/cbwrench.jpg

aside from that, normal tools. Set bearings to a slight
trace of play at the rim. More info he
http://www.torpedo-coasterbrake.com/...ster-brake.htm

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 23rd 15, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ah yes THE TORPEDO....so F&S..

say on the two wrenches....how does AM find those 2 wrenches in the old or new YJ ?

is there a catalog with map ?
Old March 23rd 15, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

AMuzi writes:

Standard German coaster brake (can't read brake
arm).

Indeed, it says something on it, I now remember.
I'll get back to you on that.

You probably don't have the lockring wrench:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/cbwrench.jpg

I don't have that. I got the piece of advice in
another thread I should get a cone wrench for the
cones on the front wheel axle. What I understand
a cone wrench is an ordinary fixed-size wrench
(block key), only instead of perhaps 7 mm it is ~2 mm
so it can be fixed on a cone. Your tools look somewhat
like that, or are they yet another tool?

Anyway, I looked for a cone wrench at Clas Ohlson,
which is the prefered place for cheap-but-good Chinese
tools in Sweden. They had block keys of all sizes, but
all were too thick to serve as cone wrenches. I didn't
know of lockring wrenches until now, so I didn't ask.

--
underground experts united
Old March 23rd 15, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 03:38:36 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

AMuzi writes:

[...]

It's probably easier to get a cone wrench from a bicycle tool seller -
Park Tools, for example. I've found them in conventional tool shops
but usually in a big box marked "One piece, One dollar" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 23rd 15, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/lbq7ta

http://goo.gl/zIKsQv

plus heat off course, wire brushing axle/nut joint, PcBlaster soak/weed cloth tied on with bag tie wire

see the diagonals with an LED ?
Old March 31st 15, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

AMuzi writes:

Standard German coaster brake (can't read brake
arm). Komet, Centrix, Durex, Torpedo all similar
design and small parts interchange.

When I assembled the sprocket I read - indeed, on the
brake arm - "Torpedo", so you're absolutely right!

I didn't know exactly what to do but I put some fat on
the ball bearings as well as a very thin layer on
everything else, and put everything together as a kid
would with LEGO.

Assembled:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/.../assembled.jpg

Parts:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/...et/parts-1.jpg
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/...et/parts-2.jpg

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old March 31st 15, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 31/03/15 11:24, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi writes:

Standard German coaster brake (can't read brake
arm). Komet, Centrix, Durex, Torpedo all similar
design and small parts interchange.

When I assembled the sprocket I read - indeed, on the
brake arm - "Torpedo", so you're absolutely right!

I didn't know exactly what to do but I put some fat on
the ball bearings as well as a very thin layer on
everything else, and put everything together as a kid
would with LEGO.

Assembled:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/.../assembled.jpg

Parts:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/...et/parts-1.jpg
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/...et/parts-2.jpg

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access
/~embe8573/bike/sprocket/assembled.jpg on this server.

--
JS
Old March 31st 15, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

James writes:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access
/~embe8573/bike/sprocket/assembled.jpg on
this server.

Thanks - now it should work.