Question Michelin Pro 4 tires

Old April 8th 15, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Question Michelin Pro 4 tires

At the group's suggestion, I bought and mounted a couple of Pro 4 700 X 23C tires on my Paramount. The instructions said to inflate them to 100 - 120 PSI, but I inflated them to only 90 PSI because I thought they'd be too prone to puncture at the higher pressure.

They seem to handle squirrely to me at this pressure. Going into a turn, when the sidewall tread starts to grab the road, the bike oversteers; i.e., turns more sharply than expected. This is quite disconcerting!

Is this because I didn't inflate them enough?

Thanks!

-retro
Old April 8th 15, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
At the group's suggestion, I bought and mounted a couple of Pro 4 700 X
23C tires on my Paramount. The instructions said to inflate them to 100 -
120 PSI, but I inflated them to only 90 PSI because I thought they'd be
too prone to puncture at the higher pressure.

They seem to handle squirrely to me at this pressure. Going into a turn,
when the sidewall tread starts to grab the road, the bike oversteers;
i.e., turns more sharply than expected. This is quite disconcerting!

Is this because I didn't inflate them enough?

Thanks!

-retro

Probably. Also lower pressure will make snake bite punctures more likely
so you may want to rethink that plan.

--
duane
Old April 8th 15, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

At the group's suggestion, I bought and mounted a couple of Pro 4 700 X 23C tires on my Paramount. The instructions said to inflate them to 100 - 120 PSI, but I inflated them to only 90 PSI because I thought they'd be too prone to puncture at the higher pressure.

They seem to handle squirrely to me at this pressure. Going into a turn, when the sidewall tread starts to grab the road, the bike oversteers; i.e., turns more sharply than expected. This is quite disconcerting!

Is this because I didn't inflate them enough?

Thanks!

Hmmm. Maybe you're giving it too much steering input. At 90psi, the tire is not going to wallow. Also, at 110-115 psi, they will be less prone to pinch flatting and probably no more prone to puncturing in the usual ways.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 8th 15, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

MORE COUNTERSTEER less bar twisting...

try changing front -rear pressures in 3lb increments 96F 90R 90F 96R ad nauseum

on inflation develop an eyeball for the tire curvature sans contact and with contact

have someone your weight sit on it an eyeball that

Old April 9th 15, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 5:43:28 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 09/04/15 06:47, wrote:
At the group's suggestion, I bought and mounted a couple of Pro 4 700
X 23C tires on my Paramount. The instructions said to inflate them to
100 - 120 PSI, but I inflated them to only 90 PSI because I thought
they'd be too prone to puncture at the higher pressure.

They seem to handle squirrely to me at this pressure. Going into a
turn, when the sidewall tread starts to grab the road, the bike
oversteers; i.e., turns more sharply than expected. This is quite
disconcerting!

Is this because I didn't inflate them enough?

Thanks!

I never noticed that kind of problem, but I would normally pump the
front to about 100psi, and the rear to about 110psi with 23mm tyres. It
depends on how much you weigh as well. I'm about 75kg.

I've ridden 23mm Michelin Pros (pick a number) at 90psi with no problem whatsoever. I weigh maybe 205lbs. I don't do this by design, but there are plenty of times when I forget to pump up before leaving for a ride.

I've fixed flats and ridden home on 70-80 psi, and I may get some wallowing if I drive the bike hard down hill, but it doesn't feel "squirrelly." It feels like you're scrubbing the tire and that it will wash-out -- and steering is heavy. IMO, the bike gets squirrelly when tires are over-inflation because it is getting bounced all over the place and doesn't feel planted. It feels like the front wheel is castering.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 9th 15, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2015-04-08, Duane wrote:

Probably. Also lower pressure will make snake bite punctures more likely
so you may want to rethink that plan.

He's not going to snake bite at 90psi unless he rides into a curb.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old April 9th 15, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 2015-04-08, Duane wrote:

Probably. Also lower pressure will make snake bite punctures more likely
so you may want to rethink that plan.

He's not going to snake bite at 90psi unless he rides into a curb.

Or a pothole.

--
duane