cut spokes above the nipples after rim true?

Old April 17th 15, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default cut spokes above the nipples after rim true?

I managed to get the rim fairly straight after it had
wobbled all over the place, but afterwards I noticed
that in the process some of the spokes were ~1-1.5 mm
above their nipple heads, so I wonder if they must be
cut or if it is sufficient to protect the tube
with flaps?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old April 17th 15, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:57:57 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I managed to get the rim fairly straight after it had
wobbled all over the place, but afterwards I noticed
that in the process some of the spokes were ~1-1.5 mm
above their nipple heads, so I wonder if they must be
cut or if it is sufficient to protect the tube
with flaps?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

spokes are wrong size.

for many reasons, replace long spokes

but ! is the rim round ?

check rim roundness: hold felt tip pen on clean brake surface....thinner then alcohol removing thinner with paper towels

rotate rim once while holding pen steady against rim....hold chain or seat stay and pen for a fixed point

rim /felt pen marking would be concentric.....same place on rim 360 degrees.

if rim is egg shaped then one side spokes are too short the other side too long.
Old April 17th 15, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 03:02:26 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

I managed to get the rim fairly straight after it had
wobbled all over the place, but afterwards I noticed
that in the process some of the spokes were ~1-1.5 mm
above their nipple heads, so I wonder if they must be
cut or if it is sufficient to protect the tube
with flaps?

I'd be nipping them off with a cutoff wheel on my Dremel
Old April 17th 15, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

I managed to get the rim fairly straight after it had
wobbled all over the place, but afterwards I noticed
that in the process some of the spokes were ~1-1.5 mm
above their nipple heads, so I wonder if they must be
cut or if it is sufficient to protect the tube
with flaps?

I'd be nipping them off with a cutoff wheel on my Dremel

cutting off 'excess' spoke threads leads to not enough thread when wheel is bent
Old April 17th 15, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:57:57 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I managed to get the rim fairly straight after it had
wobbled all over the place, but afterwards I noticed
that in the process some of the spokes were ~1-1.5 mm
above their nipple heads, so I wonder if they must be
cut or if it is sufficient to protect the tube
with flaps?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

If the spkes are protruding past the rim tape then you'll get punctures when they eventually opke through the rim tape and into the tube. You need to grind or file the spokes flush. As another poster mentioned, it means your spokes are too long.

Ideally the spoke stops at tthe beginning of the nipple slot.

Cheers
Old April 17th 15, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Sir Ridesalot writes:

If the spkes are protruding past the rim tape

They are still below it but they make a small ball
beneath it, if you will. The spoke ends have edges
that look pretty sharp.

You need to grind or file the spokes flush.
As another poster mentioned, it means your spokes
are too long. ... Ideally the spoke stops at tthe
beginning of the nipple slot.

Yes

So what tool do I use to cut, grind, or file
the spokes?

I know I got one answer but I thought I'd specify
the question.

Old April 17th 15, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

a small ball with sharp edges ?

AHA ! Sapin !

Old April 17th 15, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/16/2015 10:14 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

So what tool do I use to cut, grind, or file
the spokes?

I know I got one answer but I thought I'd specify
the question.

A Dremel works well. A hand file works, but it's tricky to avoid
leaving scratches or shards that may eventually puncture the inner tube.

Correct length spokes work best of all.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 17th 15, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 00:07:57 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/16/2015 10:14 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

So what tool do I use to cut, grind, or file
the spokes?

I know I got one answer but I thought I'd specify
the question.

A Dremel works well. A hand file works, but it's tricky to avoid
leaving scratches or shards that may eventually puncture the inner tube.

Correct length spokes work best of all.

Probably best to discover if the bloke has double wall rims, or not.
If he does the spoke ends probably won't be a problem :-)
--

cheers,

John B.
Old April 17th 15, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

On 4/16/2015 10:14 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

So what tool do I use to cut, grind, or file
the spokes?

I know I got one answer but I thought I'd specify
the question.

A Dremel works well. A hand file works, but it's tricky to avoid
leaving scratches or shards that may eventually puncture the inner tube.

Correct length spokes work best of all.

Probably best to discover if the bloke has double wall rims, or not.
If he does the spoke ends probably won't be a problem :-)
--

cheers,

John B.

He said the spokes make a small ball beneath the rim tape. It's highly likely that in time the spokes will wear through those balls and then puncture the tube.

Cheers