Shimano clipless pedals

Old April 1st 17, 11:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Patriquen

Default Shimano clipless pedals

I use similar clipless pedals (variety of Shimon's versions and also knock-offs like Nashbars) and find that different cranksets have different Q-factor spacings and also that saddle/seatpost position affects how my feet "sit" on the pedals (reach varies with saddle/stem and has an effect). Also, the cleats can be angled on the shoes, of course. And note there are at least three Shimano cleats (with varying degrees of float) and then who knows what the knock-offs are patterned after?

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 2:22:25 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:
I prefer single sided clipless pedals for city riding as they allow me
to clipped in when the road is clear and at the same time ride
"clipless", as it were, in dense traffic when one might want to get
either foot down quickly.

Previously I had always used Shimano M324 pedals but recently I find
that local shops seem to no longer stock them and Shimano A530 now
seem to be the pedal of choice so I now have two "city bikes" one with
M324 pedals and one with M530 pedals.

But I also have two pairs of bicycle shoes and had been wearing one
pair on my Wednesday morning rides and the other on my longer Sunday
rides. And, I had been using one bike for Wednesday rides and the
other for Sunday rides. No rational reason, I admit, but it was what I
had been doing.

Recently I had been doing some cleaning and servicing on the Wednesday
bike and rode the Sunday bike on a Wednesday with the Wednesday shoes
and found that the heal of one shoe was hitting the crank arm nearly
every revolution. Not actually slamming into the crank but brushing
it.

When I got home I did a comparison of the two bikes and the shoes and
found that with the Wednesday bike and the Wednesday shoes the shoes
were essentially "straight ahead" and the Sunday bike and Sunday shoes
were the same. But with either the Sunday bike and Wednesday shoes or
the Wednesday bike and the Sunday shoes the shoes were noticeably
angled.

Is this common that different "clipless" (how can one have clipless
pedals that clip on :-) pedals have the clips at different angles?

Hardly a problem that equals global warming but I am curious

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 2nd 17, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 03:06:37 -0700 (PDT), Steve Patriquen
wrote:

I use similar clipless pedals (variety of Shimon's versions and also knock-offs like Nashbars) and find that different cranksets have different Q-factor spacings and also that saddle/seatpost position affects how my feet "sit" on the pedals (reach varies with saddle/stem and has an effect). Also, the cleats can be angled on the shoes, of course. And note there are at least three Shimano cleats (with varying degrees of float) and then who knows what the knock-offs are patterned after?

I solved the mystery. The "new" pedals I was complaining about had
much, much, stronger springs which made the free play, "float" I think
is the technical term, almost nil. I replaced the springs with ones
from a different set of pedals and now all is right with the world :-)