Dirty word: Lube

Old April 10th 17, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default Dirty word: Lube

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 11:10:53 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 4/9/2017 6:17 AM, John B Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 20:53:05 +0100, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 13:42:32 +1000, James
wrote:

I observed numerous others on the ride spending time applying lube to
their chain, mostly in the form of commercial and relatively expensive
wax in solvent preparations.

I prefer a more traditional formulation for my chain lube:

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the cauldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
Macbeth (IV, i, 14-15)

One side benefit of this formula is the smell acts as a good bicyle
theft deterrent.

BS works well too......................

Does it? I had never heard of that particular method.

Tell us, does one apply it wet? Or can it be dried and later mixed
with water? Does one boil it in a pot like paraffin? Is CS or HS or
even BCS equally as effective for a lubricant?

In my area, where dairy cows are abundant, losing traction
to a spread of cow poop across a road is not unknown,
especially in a light rain or on a curve. I met Harvey
Spiegelhoff after his own cows dealt a death blow to his
1936 US Team bike's fork.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/harvey.html

In a more serious vein, don't people keep their cattle penned up? A
decent milker must be worth considerable money these days plus of
course her annual contributions to the herd :-)
Old April 10th 17, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

The herd is moved from field to field on a regular basis,
weather permitting. Wherever they have crossed a road, the
primitive lubricant in question marks their path.

Winters are long and cold, so they're inside eating silage
for months. Being less intellectually gifted than a
cockroach, dairy cows need supervision and direction; if
left in a lush field too long they will eat until they fall
over with their various stomachs gas bloated. After such
oversight, the cows have to be vented, pronto.

http://feedlotmagazine.com/blog/2012...pasture-bloat/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 10th 17, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

We have more of an issue with the horses used to pull wagons of hay and
whatever around the country roads here in Quebec. Both by the slippery
stuff they leave on the road and their tendency to spook when you pass
them. Once a group got treated to a bunch of fresh apples when the
horses bolted.
Old April 10th 17, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

We have quite a large amount of riding horses around here with corals close to the roads. One that I've noticed is that they seem to have no awareness of bicycles at all.
Old April 10th 17, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/10/2017 3:25 AM, John B Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 11:10:53 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

In my area, where dairy cows are abundant, losing traction
to a spread of cow poop across a road is not unknown,
especially in a light rain or on a curve. I met Harvey
Spiegelhoff after his own cows dealt a death blow to his
1936 US Team bike's fork.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/harvey.html

In a more serious vein, don't people keep their cattle penned up? A
decent milker must be worth considerable money these days plus of
course her annual contributions to the herd :-)

Sometimes the cattle un-pen themselves. See the end of the June 30
entry at http://bicyclinglife.com/Recreation/...SummerRide.htm

Briefly, two bicyclists traveling about an hour ahead of us spooked a
herd of cows so badly that the cows stampeded and broke though a barbed
wire fence. The owners asked us to hide out of sight as they herded the
cows down the road and back to their pasture.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 10th 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

You get similar road hazards in Amish country. Horse exhaust. And
overseas, we've dealt with a slurry of sheep **** mixed with rain water.

I like fenders on bikes.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 10th 17, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 7:54:29 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

One can only imagine your appearance if cattlemen asked you to hide soas not to cause a stampede.
Old April 10th 17, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/10/2017 10:57 AM, wrote:
[...]

Hey, we'd been on the road for something like six weeks. We were
allowed to look grungy!

Actually, I was traveling with two very cute ladies. I think they made
up for my appearance.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 10th 17, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 1:41:16 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

[Cows] Being less intellectually gifted than a cockroach,

That's an insult to cockroaches, which will inherit the earth because they're immune to nuclear radiation.

Andre Jute
Survival is the surest indicator of intelligence yet observed
Old April 11th 17, 11:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

I believe that there are still laws in some of the U.S. states about
frightening horses. I'm almost sure that New Hampshire, where I grew
up, still has laws about what one must do when overtaking or meeting a
team or individual riders.

I haven't been back there in years and years but the last time I was
there they still had two hitching posts at the town common with a
"parking" slot label "HORSES ONLY". No parking meters at the hitching
posts either :-)