A bit of a Do

Old December 10th 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default A bit of a Do

On 12/10/2018 10:26 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/9/2018 9:14 PM, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 12:48:05 +1100, James

wrote:

On 10/12/18 12:20 pm, John B. slocomb wrote:

Sunday we had a bit of a do here in Thailand. The King
led a bicycle
ride which was well attended and the riders got a free
tee shirt :-)
see
https://www.bangkokpost.com/photo/ph...g-for-the-king

for some nice pictures.

The photos were from the Bangkok event but the same ride
was done in
each province. I haven't seen any estimates of the total
of all riders
but estimates, before the event, were in the millions,
nation wide.

The official name of the event was "Bike Un Ai Rak"
which literally
translate into something like "Bicycle warm exercise
love" and is a
continuation of the mass ride that was done in honor of
the old King.

There is a sea of helmets and hi vis in the photos. I
noticed a couple
of people riding without a helmet, out of hundreds or
thousands with
helmets.

Is that normal?

Generally speaking the (I'll call them transportation)
riders wear no
special equipment. I mean the folks bicycling down to the
morning
market to buy the day's food. "Recreation Riders". for
want of a
better description, nearly always wear a helmet and
usually a gaudy
jersey ...

Fashion is weird and powerful. And lately I've marveled at
how uniform fashion is around the world - or at least,
around the westernized world, which now seems to be most of
the world.

Before our first trip to mainland Europe I spent some time
trying to find out how Europeans dressed, so we wouldn't
stick out too much. This year I decided it didn't matter at
all. We just wore our normal clothes and succeeded in
blending in, to the point that we had people in France
approaching us to ask questions (maybe directions?) in French.

So, about the bike garb: In Switzerland, France, Germany and
of course Netherlands we saw lots of people on bikes. The
great majority were dressed just as if they were walking.

But we saw a few people who obviously identified as
"cyclists." Even if they were riding at 8 mph and had
multi-layer belly bulges, they were decked out in skintight
lycra and had a useless but fashionable plastic hat on their
head. If you're a "cyclist" it's fashionable to dress that
way, so that's what those "cyclists" did.

And I fully expect pushback from the lycra and helmet fans
here. But before you attack, understand that I do wear the
funny clothes for long rides (over 20 miles) or fast rides.
But 8 mph? On a bike path? Come on!

I assume you mean just regular cycling plus-twos with a bow
tie and boater hat, yes?

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/hiwheel.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 11th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 08:25:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 5:20:08 PM UTC-8, John B. slocomb wrote:
Sunday we had a bit of a do here in Thailand. The King led a bicycle
ride which was well attended and the riders got a free tee shirt :-)
see
https://www.bangkokpost.com/photo/ph...g-for-the-king
for some nice pictures.

The photos were from the Bangkok event but the same ride was done in
each province. I haven't seen any estimates of the total of all riders
but estimates, before the event, were in the millions, nation wide.

The official name of the event was "Bike Un Ai Rak" which literally
translate into something like "Bicycle warm exercise love" and is a
continuation of the mass ride that was done in honor of the old King.

cheers,

John B.

Oh, this is really great. This SOB lives in Thailand and is telling us about the conditions in the US.

Conditions in the U.S.??

You mean like the nationality of MIT students? That is freely
available at MIT's web site?

cheers,

John B.

Old December 11th 18, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

You must not be "normal Americans". The ones we see here are readily
identifiable as they seem all to be big, fat and loud :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 11th 18, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 11:26:13 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And I fully expect pushback from the lycra and helmet fans here. But
before you attack, understand that I do wear the funny clothes for long
rides (over 20 miles) or fast rides. But 8 mph? On a bike path? Come on!

Wimp for wearing funny clothes at all. vbg.
I've usually just worn cotton shorts for almost all my cycling, except
for once having a pair of Cannondale cycling shorts.

Old December 11th 18, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/10/2018 5:05 PM, John B. slocomb wrote:
[...]

Personally, I recognize only two student groups- those who
have met degree requirements and those who have not.

But out there in the "My complexion is my protection" world,
Pocahontas taught us that with a little social engineering,
a mockery may be made of intersectionality such that
aggregate numbers of ethnicity are meaningless.

You're welcome.

Old December 11th 18, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

I think you meant "plus-fours" :-)

But bicycling uniforms have varied considerably over the years. At one
time lady cyclists wore skirts see: https://tinyurl.com/ybok9edx

cheers,

John B.

Old December 11th 18, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:16:54 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 10:25:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Oh, this is really great. This SOB lives in Thailand and is telling us about the conditions in the US.

The conditions in the US right now are about 30 degrees. Not much wind. No snow. Rideable, but not enjoyable due to the cold. Sunny day though.

About the same as it is here. Yesterday was a bit chilly, say 27 or 28
degrees and a bit of rain. But no snow. Today it should be warmer,
maybe 30 degrees.

But, of course this is the "cold season" :-)

I have never investigated it, but I think almost all internet groups are international. Everyone from anywhere in the world can and do participate. I find it interesting to hear about riding in Europe from a few of the regular participants. And to me even Canada is an exotic locale. Do they ride different up north? I'd like to have people from South America, Africa, Australia and Asia participate more. Its fun to hear about cycling all over the world.

cheers,

John B.

Old December 11th 18, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 8:26:53 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/10/2018 11:25 AM, wrote:
[...]

Weren't you telling about conditions in Portland?

Conditions in Portland: foggy, cold and wet. My son was riding in his all black Ninja outfit this morning, which I thought was dumb -- although his flasher was pretty effective. There were times when I couldn't see because of all the condensation on my glasses combined with pea-soup visibility.

No cotton except my t-shirt -- Amfib tights, shoe covers, poly winter jersey and my rain coat. Some great winter weight waterproof Giro gloves my son got pro-deal for practically nothing. Bike with fenders which are now festooned with some nice reflective tape. I still need a longer flap. Oh, I was wearing my Antifa black helmet balaclava, too. L&M front and rear lights on pulse mode.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 11th 18, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 5:25:35 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Plus twos* will come back! Mark my words!

(*Or in the U.S. "knickers". But not in Brittania, where all the
ladies wear seldom-seen knickers.)

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 11th 18, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 16:10:37 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

When I was growing up "knickers" were what kids wore. In later years I
used the term several times in conversation with some English folks
and thought at the time the wives were looking a bit odd at my
comments. One of the husbands later took me aside and explained what
"knickers" are in England.

cheers,

John B.