Coaster Brake Failure

Old February 25th 19, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Coaster Brake Failure

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 25th 19, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?

They must have improved it.

Old February 25th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?

They must have improved it.

In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums up
the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in software
design.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 25th 19, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/25/2019 9:16 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

Yes, I'd have liked some technical detail. Although I realize that's not
the point of the article.

I will say, a three speed with coaster brake is a fairly complicated
bucket of parts. I still don't know what was wrong with the Shimano one
that I had to disassemble multiple times because of its second gear
skipping. It's working now, but I don't feel confident about it.

OTOH, there's not much to the brake part of the device.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 25th 19, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?

They must have improved it.

In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums up
the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in software
design.

In Yiddish, it's "farpotchket", which loosely translates to "broken during
the act of fixing it".

Old February 25th 19, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:39:17 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/25/2019 9:16 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

Yes, I'd have liked some technical detail. Although I realize that's not
the point of the article.

I will say, a three speed with coaster brake is a fairly complicated
bucket of parts. I still don't know what was wrong with the Shimano one
that I had to disassemble multiple times because of its second gear
skipping. It's working now, but I don't feel confident about it.

OTOH, there's not much to the brake part of the device.

Bad grease. https://www.sram.com/sites/all/theme...FINAL_1.19.pdf

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 25th 19, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?

They must have improved it.

In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It sums up
the action of "Here we have a working design but let's optimize it
anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common scenario in software
design.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You hit the nail right on the head. For projects that required very fast response from microprocessors I used to use assembly language. Because of that people started to use assembly language in many projects. The trouble is that assembly language is extremely tedious to program. So they would "improve" it by building libraries of assembly language subroutines. Then in order to use these you didn't know exactly what you had to do so you would save all of the registers and branch to the subroutine, save any necessary data from that and then return and retrieve all of the registers and data to use.

This was what higher level languages did but they usually did it more efficiently by only saving the necessary registers and not saving the returned data but simply passing it back.

This put C and C++ into the position that these higher level languages were actually both more memory efficient but also faster in operation.

This is what happens when people improve things that they don't understand.

Though I'm sure that those who don't know anything about this will have plenty of comments about it.
Old February 25th 19, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

It's fake news. We all know that the old days were *far* superior to
modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!
Old February 25th 19, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_D8r-2hwk
Old February 25th 19, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:
On 2/25/2019 9:16 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

Yes, I'd have liked some technical detail. Although I realize
that's not the point of the article.

I will say, a three speed with coaster brake is a fairly
complicated bucket of parts. I still don't know what was wrong with
the Shimano one that I had to disassemble multiple times because of
its second gear skipping. It's working now, but I don't feel
confident about it.

OTOH, there's not much to the brake part of the device.

Bad grease.
https://www.sram.com/sites/all/theme...FINAL_1.19.pdf

The prosecution rests its' case.