NAHBS report by Anna Schwinn

Old March 28th 19, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default NAHBS report by Anna Schwinn

https://bikerumor.com/2019/03/14/nah...le-show-guide/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 28th 19, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/28/2019 11:50 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/03/14/nah...le-show-guide/

oops. Here's the link to actual tech:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/03/27/nah...by-discipline/

Old March 28th 19, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 12:03:08 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2019 11:50 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/03/14/nah...le-show-guide/

oops. Here's the link to actual tech:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/03/27/nah...by-discipline/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The thing that stuck out to me was the Overall Frame Material chart. Steel and titanium are dominant over carbon. And its perfectly logical too. An individual craftsman (North American HANDMADE Bicycle Show) can easily work with metals like steel and titanium. Cutting, grinding, filing, welding, brazing are all easily done by an individual without any complicated or expensive tools. Whereas carbon fiber generally requires far more technology and equipment to work with. Glue, fibers, presses, molds, bladders, ovens..
Old March 28th 19, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:13:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Actually titanium is a bit finicky to weld. You need shielding gas,
usually on both sides.. When I certified, admittedly many years ago,
any color discoloration of the weld or parent material was reason to
reject the weld.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 29th 19, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Many ears ago standard Ti technique was in an argon booth.
Now they just flow argon through the tubes during welding
with an argon shielded arc.

Old March 29th 19, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Actually when I qualified they had a Plexiglas box, say 1.5 ft on a
side, The torch was inside and it had a pair of gloves attached so you
could put your work inside the box, purge with argon and weld away. I
had never welded titanium but as I passed my other welding certificate
pieces the first day I had a wait for the other guy that was with me
so I asked the test foreman if I could try the titanium. He said sure
and the second piece I welded passed :-)

Anyway, sometime later I was visiting a friend who worked at the depot
and was bragging to him abut my titanium certification and he said
that "over here" we weld with a normal TIG set and extra argon for a
back flush. No magic box!

Then he tells me that you can cut titanium with a normal gas cutting
torch but you have to be careful to grind all the slag off before you
weld.

Yet another rude awakening that I didn't know everything :-)
--
cheers,

John B.