Pearl Izumi Troubles

Old May 24th 19, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Pearl Izumi Troubles

The Pearl Izumi outlet in Gilroy California is closing. If you looked at the prices lately if their clothing it would come as no surprise to you.

I think that what triggered their fall was the idiot that had them make nothing but flat black clothing which I think was originated by Team Sky. That is really what I want to do on a busy road is to fade into the background or asphalt surface.

Now while they have some colors, they are limited and they have solid colors without any interesting patterns or multicolor choices like team jerseys.

I'll be sorry to see them go but it looks pretty much like their marketing team fell down on the job.
Old May 24th 19, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 8:59:59 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
The Pearl Izumi outlet in Gilroy California is closing. If you looked at the prices lately if their clothing it would come as no surprise to you.

I think that what triggered their fall was the idiot that had them make nothing but flat black clothing which I think was originated by Team Sky. That is really what I want to do on a busy road is to fade into the background or asphalt surface.

Now while they have some colors, they are limited and they have solid colors without any interesting patterns or multicolor choices like team jerseys.

I'll be sorry to see them go but it looks pretty much like their marketing team fell down on the job.

PI is not closing its doors -- its just the outlet store, at least as far as I can tell. A lot of outlet stores or flagship stores have closed, although Trek is still opening company stores. Anyway, PI is still around unless the info on the inter-web is wrong. Black jerseys were popularized by the Italianos IMO and PI just jumped on the bandwagon and conversely on the fluorescent bandwagon. Binary color scheme.

Changing subjects, I always thought Euro-pro team gear was dopey and laughed at the guys with bellies lumbering along in pro gear. "Hey, look, its Peter Sagan . . . uh, no." My team jerseys are from teams I rode on or that I have some connection with -- or are from local shops. I like the small shop jerseys. I bought this jersey for my son when I was in Rome. http://www..ciclilazzaretti.it/prodo...tti-race-team/

They totally parlo Campagnolo but English not so much. Neat little shop with lots of high-end stuff. With the Euro exchange rate, the price wasn't bad..

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 25th 19, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 24 May 2019 08:59:56 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

The Pearl Izumi outlet in Gilroy California is closing. If you looked at the prices lately if their clothing it would come as no surprise to you.

I think that what triggered their fall was the idiot that had them make nothing but flat black clothing which I think was originated by Team Sky. That is really what I want to do on a busy road is to fade into the background or asphalt surface.

Now while they have some colors, they are limited and they have solid colors without any interesting patterns or multicolor choices like team jerseys.

I'll be sorry to see them go but it looks pretty much like their marketing team fell down on the job.

Looking at their web site the first thing I see is a cycling jersey
for $150.00 - marked down to the give-away price of $112.50.

I wonder whether that had anything to do with the drop in sales :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 25th 19, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/24/2019 2:17 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

While I have driven by the Gilroy Outlets probably 100 times, I never
had the urge to stop there, and I think it's not a good location for the
type of product sold by Pearl Izumi. Someone looking for low cost
cycling clothing is probably shopping on Aliexpress, not outlet stores.
Old May 27th 19, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 5:33:06 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

Pearl Izumi has great shoes for road and off-road. Their shorts wear a very long time. I've even crashed on them without tearing them while getting road rash on my hip. Their only thing wrong with their winter tights is the price. I happen to like pro team jerseys even as slow as I am. But the teams are spending less and less on their designs and the next thing we know they'll be wearing T-shirts.