hot bike shed harmful to bikes

Old July 14th 03, 04:06 PM
Arthur Clune

Default hot bike shed harmful to bikes

Adrian Boliston wrote:

: Can this heat harm the bike or it's components in any way?

Not really. The expansion/contraction due to hot/cold
may mean that you have to pump your tyres up a bit more
than normal but that's about it.

I've had my bike get too hot to sit on just leaving it
in direct Sunday in the Pyrenees.

Arthur

Old July 14th 03, 04:17 PM
Adrian Boliston

"Arthur Clune" wrote in message

Adrian Boliston wrote:

: Can this heat harm the bike or it's components in any way?

Not really. The expansion/contraction due to hot/cold
may mean that you have to pump your tyres up a bit more
than normal but that's about it.

I've had my bike get too hot to sit on just leaving it
in direct Sunday in the Pyrenees.

No risk of evaporating the grease and oil in the bearings, or perishing the tyre
rubber then?

Old July 14th 03, 04:50 PM
Pete Biggs

Adrian Boliston wrote:

No risk of evaporating the grease and oil in the bearings, or
perishing the tyre rubber then?

Tyres should be fine, especially as synthetic rubber is used for nearly
all brands now.

I suspect the grease would gradually dry up if bike was left long enough
in the heat, but our summers aren't /that/ long :-(

Minor problems might be glue in handlebar tape or anything else going
squidgy and coming unstuck.

I can't of any other problems. At least bike is better off than it would
be in damp winter conditions.

~PB

Old July 14th 03, 08:49 PM
Simon Mason

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message ...
Our black wooden bike shed at work is absolutely ROASTING inside and you
practically burn yourself touching the bike!

Can this heat harm the bike or it's components in any way?

I suppose it could reduce the viscosity of the lube oil, so it is
thin enough to drain out of the cables or bearings, but other than
that can't see it having much effect. Decals could peel off.
Simon
Old July 14th 03, 10:55 PM
Erdefen

Adrian Boliston wrote:

Our black wooden bike shed at work is absolutely ROASTING inside and you
practically burn yourself touching the bike!

Can this heat harm the bike or it's components in any way?

Paint your shed white, it should reduce the temp by at least 10 deg C.
Regards
Erdefen

--
(Antispam, drop pants to EMail)
All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

Old July 14th 03, 11:51 PM
Adrian Boliston

"Erdefen" wrote in message

Paint your shed white, it should reduce the temp by at least 10 deg C.

I could always wrap aluminium cooking foil all round the shed to reflect the
sun's rays!

Old July 15th 03, 08:50 AM
Peter Clinch

Adrian Boliston wrote:

No risk of evaporating the grease and oil in the bearings, or perishing the tyre
rubber then?

Given the popularity of cycling in much hotter countries than this one
(say, southern Italy) I really don't think there's *that* much to worry
about. Or indeed the continued usability of far worse specced and
maintained bikes for daily transport over poor roads in sub-Saharan Africa.

Pete.

--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital