Caught on camera

Old February 21st 04, 01:17 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default Caught on camera

See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/3509191.stm

"BBC stumps up for tree stunt"

Clarkson whacks a tree. Seems the locals thought it was possibly done by
vandals. I think they may have a point. It was done deliberately, by Clarkson,
for the programme. This sort of stunt shows why I dislike Clarkson and the
ethos he and Top Gear encourage. Mind you, if he'd done it to a cyclist he
might have been applauded by some of the more extreme supporters of motoring
with a right to totally ignore any sense of responsibility of one's actions on
what is around you :-/

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old February 21st 04, 02:03 PM
Tony Raven

See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/3509191.stm

"BBC stumps up for tree stunt"

Clarkson whacks a tree. Seems the locals thought it was possibly done by
vandals. I think they may have a point. It was done deliberately, by
Clarkson, for the programme. This sort of stunt shows why I dislike
Clarkson and the ethos he and Top Gear encourage.

But how can it be his fault? Surely the tree jumped out in front of him

Tony

Old February 21st 04, 02:27 PM
Mark Thompson

Clarkson whacks a tree. Seems the locals thought it was possibly done by
vandals. I think they may have a point. It was done deliberately, by
Clarkson, for the programme. This sort of stunt shows why I dislike
Clarkson and the ethos he and Top Gear encourage.

But how can it be his fault? Surely the tree jumped out in front of him

No, he was just too busy keeping his eyes on the speedo and looking out for
those big yellow cameras

Old February 21st 04, 03:54 PM
Paul - xxx

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers posted ...

See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/3509191.stm

"BBC stumps up for tree stunt"

Clarkson whacks a tree. Seems the locals thought it was possibly done
by vandals. I think they may have a point. It was done deliberately,
by Clarkson, for the programme. This sort of stunt shows why I
dislike Clarkson and the ethos he and Top Gear encourage. Mind you,
if he'd done it to a cyclist he might have been applauded by some of
the more extreme supporters of motoring with a right to totally
ignore any sense of responsibility of one's actions on what is around
you :-/

That's the main trouble, IMHO, with all the current problems we're having
not only on the roads but in society too.

The government seem to want to take responsibility away from normal people,
so many folk seem to allowing them, and thus don't care anymore what happens
when they, for instance, floor the throttle on a roundabout in the wet.
Rather than admit their own responsibility and therefore take or suffer the
consequences of their own actions they try and wriggle out of all blame and
focus on trivialities that other people routinely cope adequately with.

JC appears to be in this mould ...

--
Paul

Old February 21st 04, 03:57 PM
MSeries

with all due respect this has nothing to do with cycling,

Old February 21st 04, 06:27 PM
Nick

"MSeries" wrote in message

with all due respect this has nothing to do with cycling,

Of course it has - anything that is anti-car is more than welcome on this
NG.

When I discovered this group I hoped to engage in debate about all aspects
of cycling, equipment, sport etc. In fact the posts that generate by far
the largest response are the anti-car rants. So bye folks - I'm bored with
this - I'm off to find a NG about cycling.

Old February 21st 04, 07:26 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

When I discovered this group I hoped to engage in debate about all aspects
of cycling, equipment, sport etc. In fact the posts that generate by far
the largest response are the anti-car rants. So bye folks - I'm bored with
this - I'm off to find a NG about cycling.

In case you weren't aware, bad driving practice and encouragement of such can
have a serious adverse affect on the health of those of us who cycle on the
roads. Indeed, such adverse effects can be fatal :-( A|nd of course, in case
you weren't aware, many of us on the NG also drive and enjoy driving. What many
don't like and are open about their dislike of, is the encouragement of bad
driving practises and of the lenient way in which "accidents" caused by bad
driving are dealt with in the judicial system. Of course, if you want to take
that as being anti-car, that's entirely your prerogative.

Old February 21st 04, 11:39 PM
Howard

Even more non-cycling related, but still an interesting insight into
the mind of Mr Clarkson. A while ago I asked if anyone had seen a
report of Clarksons supposed 'ratting' shennanigans. Some suggested
this was based on an 'off the cuff' remark or was a fabrication.
However, a search of a newspaper archive service brought up the
following...

Sunday Times (London) June 2, 2002, Sunday

I'm gonna make a killing at this charity game Jeremy Clarkson

I don't understand. On the one hand we're told there has been zero
growth in the economy for the past six months and that if things don't
improve in the next few weeks Britain will officially be in recession.
But on the other hand we're told that a Wendy house in Bury St Edmunds
is worth £4m and that the waiting list for a new Mercedes SL stretches
into 2005.

The only trouble is finding new and interesting ways of blowing your
surplus cash. How about this for an idea: I've just spent ... I can't
say how much, you'd faint ... on a day's ratting. The idea is that
next February 10 of us will drive to a North Yorkshire farm where we
will kill between 400 and 1,000 rats.

No guns are allowed, but we will be able to use tennis rackets and
croquet mallets. It sounds a hoot...

Sunday Express May 11, 2003

HEADLINE: RSPCA STEPS IN OVER STAR'S SICK PLAN TO CLUB SMALL ANIMALS
TO DEATH 'FOR CHARITY'; YOU'RE THE REAL RAT, ANIMAL LOVERS TELL
CLARKSON

TELEVISION'S Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been "cautioned"
by the RSPCA over a sick plan to club animals to death. Clarkson
boasted on national TV how he had paid to go to a "ratting party" to
slaughter hundreds of rats with pickaxe handles.

RSPCA spokeswoman Katie Geary said: "Jeremy had written about this
ratting event and we were obviously very concerned about it. We rang
him up trying to find out when and where this would happen, but he
wasn't very forthcoming with that information. We wanted to send
inspectors along to check it out, but he wouldn't tell us anything.

"Having spoken to him, there was no one here who didn't believe this
event was real. In the end we advised him not to attend. We explained
that in our opinion someone of his calibre and profile should be more
responsible. It amounted to a caution, which was as far as we could go
at the time."

John Bryant, spokesman for the pressure group Protect Our Wild
Animals, said: "It doesn't matter if they are just rats. If they're
captive wild animals and they are being clubbed to death, it is
illegal.

"It sounds like something out of the dark ages. In my opinion this
proves Jeremy Clarkson is a yob. To me, it looks like he is a sadist."

RSPCA vice-president Audrey Eyton said: "Mr Clarkson is a very big man
- in a physical sense, at least - and obviously takes pleasure in
battering or crushing to death small animals. I find this repellent
and nauseating."

Last night Clarkson was working on a new TV series and "unavailable"
to comment.

And for something cycling related from Jeremy...

The Sun, 5 August 2002.
The Lycra Nazis are taking over.
By Jeremy Clarkson

Bicycle guerrillas? We've already got them. We don't need this new
loony idea to encourage them even more to shoot red lights and ignore
the Highway Code. They have already taken over a third of the roads
with their green tarmac cycle lanes. Now the Lycra Nazis want to take
over the whole lot! And they still don't pay a penny for going on the
roads which the poor old motorists pay through the nose
for....Cyclists and ramblers already have 27,000 miles of bridleways
and public footpaths. Roads only cover two per cent of the country and
now they want a slice of that too. Well, they can get lost. When will
people understand that roads are for cars and that there is no danger
at all from speeding motorists if walkers and cyclists steer clear?

Despite the above, let's not forget that in the cyclists hating stakes
Clarkson is a pussycat compared to the likes of Tony Parsons and David
Thomas of 'The Daily Hate Mail.'
Old February 22nd 04, 12:19 AM
Vincent Wilcox

Howard wrote:
Even more non-cycling related, but still an interesting insight into
the mind of Mr Clarkson.

Was Paddington bear an illegal immigrant from Peru?