Are these rims aluminum? (Chrysler PT Cruiser AP / SP Limited Edition)

Old August 22nd 05, 10:21 AM

Default Are these rims aluminum? (Chrysler PT Cruiser AP / SP Limited Edition)

Hi,

I'm going nuts trying to find out if either/both of these models have
aluminum wheels - the AP v. the SP. (Chrylser PT Cruiser Limited
Edition AP or SP. The SP is $20 cheaper and the models are differenct
colors)

The sites selling them give conflicting information. One says the AP
has aluminum wheels, then later says "Rims: 36H" in the specs. Another
says the SP has steel rims, and then says "Rims: steel 36H" in the
specs. I can't imagine both a steel alloy and an aluminum allow were
given the same name -"36H", but I don't know what 36H means. Yet
another site says the SP has aluminum wheels, and another says they are
steel. These conflicts go on an on as I spent the last hour-and-a-half
searching. I can't find the manufacturers site.

I do know I don't want steel wheels.

Any help appreciated.

Old August 22nd 05, 12:28 PM
Anthony A.

The 36H is likely a reference to the number of spoke holes (and
therefore spokes) the rim has.\
36H = 36 holes = 36 spokes (per wheel).

Old August 23rd 05, 07:01 AM

Okay, so "RIM: steel 36H" means it's steel, and has 36 sprockets. Some
sites are still providing conflicting information as to whether the
wheels are aluminum or steel. I guess I'll have to contact the
manufacturer and ask them.

Old August 23rd 05, 07:32 AM

On 22 Aug 2005 23:01:21 -0700, wrote:

Okay, so "RIM: steel 36H" means it's steel, and has 36 sprockets. Some
sites are still providing conflicting information as to whether the
wheels are aluminum or steel. I guess I'll have to contact the
manufacturer and ask them.

Dear Emily,

"RIM: steel 36h" means a steel rim with 36 spokes, not
sprockets.

The bike in question has a single 44-tooth front sprocket
and six rear sprockets, giving six speeds.

The more expensive AP version is advertised as having
aluminum rims, which are normal, modern, and preferred
because they brake better when wet. (The spokes are probably
also stainless steel.)

The cheaper SP version is advertised as having steel rims,
abandoned by all but the cheapest bikes because of their
poor braking when wet. The rims are probably plated, heavy,
and prone to rust.

Here's a recent thread full of unkind remarks about steel
rims, few of which are likely to apply to casual riding:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...6c b50a70a159

Happily, the cheaper (for good reasons) SP version appears
to be out of stock in many places, so you may be forced to
buy the version with the better aluminum rims.

You might stop by a local bike shop and see if something
better is available for the same price, used or new.

With luck, some of the people whom I teased last year with
the exploits of a $57 WalMart Fury Roadmaster will be along
shortly to offer you more good advice than you can stand
about better buys.

Carl Fogel
Old August 23rd 05, 02:11 PM
araby

wrote in message
ups.com...
Okay, so "RIM: steel 36H" means it's steel, and has 36 sprockets. Some
sites are still providing conflicting information as to whether the
wheels are aluminum or steel. I guess I'll have to contact the
manufacturer and ask them.

The AP seems to have a higher spec. (e.g.aluminum rims) and hence a higher
price. However the site I visited says "item discontinued"
The SP certainly has steel rims.
36H means the number of spoke holes in the rim, both AP and SP. The "A" or
"S" in the names may refer to the type of metal used. They both have six
gears and hence six sprockets in the rear wheel.
I wonder why you are interested in these products. They are of mediocre
quality with performance to match.
I imagine many who read your intitial post wondered it your query was
serious. The name is more usually assosciated with the automobile of the
same name. I would think it unlikely that any subscriber to this newsgroup
would be interested in these bicycles.
I advise you to visit a bike shop and ask for advice. You certainly won't
get it from a department store.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance,

Good luck anyway,

Roy

Old August 23rd 05, 07:42 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:02:34 GMT, Jasper Janssen
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:32:22 -0600, wrote:

With luck, some of the people whom I teased last year with
the exploits of a $57 WalMart Fury Roadmaster will be along
shortly to offer you more good advice than you can stand
about better buys.

$54.

Jasper

Dear Jasper,

$57.73. There's something called a sales tax.

Carl Fogel