Racing cyclist pushed off bike

Old August 25th 12, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Racing cyclist pushed off bike

A CYCLIST suffered a punctured lung and broken bones - when a yob reached
out of a passing car and shoved him from his bike as he raced along a South
Yorkshire road at 30mph

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/...-yob-1-4867609

Old August 25th 12, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message ...

A CYCLIST suffered a punctured lung and broken bones - when a yob reached
out of a passing car and shoved him from his bike as he raced along a South
Yorkshire road at 30mph

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/...-yob-1-4867609
=================================

So what's your verdict?

Old August 25th 12, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

John Benn wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message ...

A CYCLIST suffered a punctured lung and broken bones - when a yob
reached out of a passing car and shoved him from his bike as he raced
along a South Yorkshire road at 30mph

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/...-yob-1-4867609
=================================

So what's your verdict?

Don't race on the road or ride in a gang, evidently it is annoying to other
road users.
I was a little surprised that they did not push the lead bike.

Old August 25th 12, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

John Benn wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message ...

A CYCLIST suffered a punctured lung and broken bones - when a yob
reached out of a passing car and shoved him from his bike as he raced
along a South Yorkshire road at 30mph

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/...-yob-1-4867609
=================================

So what's your verdict?

Don't race on the road or ride in a gang, evidently it is annoying to other
road users.
I was a little surprised that they did not push the lead bike.

I don't believe that public roads should be used for cycle or car racing but
I also don't believe that idiots should deliberately cause injuries to
cyclists, regardless of what they are doing. I'd hope that you think the
same.

From the article:

"Dave Scargill, aged 58, was riding fast with pals when a gang of young men
pulled up alongside him in a black Vauxhall Corsa. A passenger in the car
then stretched out of the side window and, using both arms, pushed Dave from
his bike as he cycled along in Hooton Pagnell, near Thurnscoe. Dave toppled
from his bike and crashed to the road, breaking two ribs, fracturing his
collar bone and puncturing a lung. He is currently on heavy painkillers in
Barnsley Hospital, awaiting an operation to treat his injuries. "

It was a completely irresponsible thing for the moron in the car to do. I
hope he gets traced and prosecuted for assault.

Old August 25th 12, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"John Benn" wrote in message

I don't believe that public roads should be used for cycle or car
racing but I also don't believe that idiots should deliberately
cause injuries to cyclists, regardless of what they are doing. I'd
hope that you think the same.

From the article:

"Dave Scargill, aged 58, was riding fast with pals when a gang of
young men pulled up alongside him in a black Vauxhall Corsa. A
passenger in the car then stretched out of the side window and,
using both arms, pushed Dave from his bike as he cycled along in
Hooton Pagnell, near Thurnscoe. Dave toppled from his bike and
crashed to the road, breaking two ribs, fracturing his collar bone
and puncturing a lung. He is currently on heavy painkillers in
Barnsley Hospital, awaiting an operation to treat his injuries. "

It was a completely irresponsible thing for the moron in the car to
do. I hope he gets traced and prosecuted for assault.

Agreed. It was appalling yobbish behaviour.

alledged behaviour, it may have all been invented to try to get compo from
the MIB

Old August 25th 12, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M Wicks

On Aug 25, 3:01*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"John Benn" wrote in message

I don't believe that public roads should be used for cycle or car
racing but I also don't believe that idiots should deliberately
cause injuries to cyclists, regardless of what they are doing. *I'd
hope that you think the same.

From the article:

"Dave Scargill, aged 58, was riding fast with pals when a gang of
young men pulled up alongside him in a black Vauxhall Corsa. *A
passenger in the car then stretched out of the side window and,
using both arms, pushed Dave from his bike as he cycled along in
Hooton Pagnell, near Thurnscoe. Dave toppled from his bike and
crashed to the road, breaking two ribs, fracturing his collar bone
and puncturing a lung. *He is currently on heavy painkillers in
Barnsley Hospital, awaiting an operation to treat his injuries. "

It was a completely irresponsible thing for the moron in the car to
do. *I hope he gets traced and prosecuted for assault.

Agreed. * It was appalling yobbish behaviour.

alledged behaviour, it may have all been invented to try to get compo from
the MIB

The refusal of you and JNugent to condemn the behaviour concerned
speaks volumes. Why do you hate cyclists so much? And is it any wonder
that cyclists now arm themselves with cameras in order to bring the
perpetrators of incidents like this to justice?
Old August 25th 12, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:32:57 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

A CYCLIST suffered a punctured lung and broken bones - when a yob reached
out of a passing car and shoved him from his bike as he raced along a South
Yorkshire road at 30mph

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/...-yob-1-4867609

"Dave, from Wombwell, Barnsley, is a member of the Birdwell Wheelers cycling
club, and competes in races across the country. "

Well perhaps he shouldn't.

Old August 25th 12, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"John Benn" wrote in message

I don't believe that public roads should be used for cycle or car
racing but I also don't believe that idiots should deliberately
cause injuries to cyclists, regardless of what they are doing. I'd
hope that you think the same.

From the article:

[...]

IF it took place (cyclists do invent these sort of things to cover up their
own mistakes) it was definitely an excessive reaction, but you must ask why
they felt so provoked as to do that in the first place.

Old August 25th 12, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"John Benn" wrote in message

I don't believe that public roads should be used for cycle or car
racing but I also don't believe that idiots should deliberately
cause injuries to cyclists, regardless of what they are doing. I'd
hope that you think the same.

From the article:

[...]

What "refusal" would this be?

Are you drunk already, at 15:42?
Old August 25th 12, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
"John Benn" wrote in message

I don't believe that public roads should be used for cycle or car
racing but I also don't believe that idiots should deliberately
cause injuries to cyclists, regardless of what they are doing. I'd
hope that you think the same.

From the article:

[...]

The incident clearly shows that many people hate cyclists.

And is it any wonder
that cyclists now arm themselves with cameras in order to bring the
perpetrators of incidents like this to justice?

Cyclists do that because they are very sad little people.

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."