The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

Old March 5th 14, 09:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

According to Blackblade there is never any conflict between what bikers do and what others do. Here is a case of equestrians having a major conflict with cyclists. He should be especially interested in this report since it is in his neck of the woods (England).

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/...-horse-riders/

Martha Terry

New mountain bike route is ‘an accident waiting to happen’ for horse riders

Riders are campaigning against a new bike trail
that will cross 2 bridleways in the Surrey Hills.

The British Horse Society (BHS) maintains that
the route is being built without “public consultation or lawful consent”.

Local rider Tessa Gooding noticed excavation work
while hacking around Leith Hill Tower in January
and discovered that a cycle path is due to open this spring.

“[Our bridleways] will be in the middle of a downhill bike track,” she said.

“It is being built by cyclists for cyclists, with
a complete lack of understanding of how horses
behave in confined spaces with unexpected activity happening alongside them.

“Of most concern is a 100ft blind spot where
cyclists won’t know if there is a horse in the sunken bridleway beneath them.”

The BHS and local riders are in discussions with
the National Trust * which owns the land * and
the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Board (AONB).

Surrey County Council (SCC) manages the common
under access agreement 1949, but has “to date
remained silent on the matter”, according to Bob
Milton, common land adviser to the BHS.

SCC added it had “nothing further to add”.

Penny Tyson-Davies, BHS bridleways officer for
Mole Valley, said there has been no equestrian input.

“If they had consulted the BHS, they would have
been told that a fast off-road cycle track
alongside and crossing bridleways is out of
order. Mountain bikes whizzing in and out of
trees, jumping ramps above horses’ heads, around
an established sunken horse track, is an accident waiting to happen.”

But Sam Bayley, National Trust head ranger, said
that dedicated tracks for mountain bikers will
improve safety, because cyclists have been
“creating unauthorised trails at Leith Hill
following and crossing many bridleways”.

“We aim to balance the needs of everyone,” he
said. “The design will ensure cyclists naturally
slow down at crossing points by appropriate turns and signage.”

Rob Fairbanks, of Surrey Hills AONB said: “It is
not feasible to ban biking in one of the most
popular areas in England. We want to work with
the BHS to educate cyclists about the priority
that needs to be given to horse riders, so we can all share the Surrey Hills.”

This article was first published in Horse & Hound magazine (27 February 2014)
Originally published on horseandhound.co.uk 4th March 2014

Read more at
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/...WUlSHAl0.99”

Cyclists should get their own god damn ****ing trails that are not in any way near trails for hikers and equestrians. The land mangers in England are as stupid as they are everywhere else. “ ... so we can all Share the Surrey Hills” indeed! AONB are a bunch of Assholes and not capable of managing their own dumb asses.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain bikers!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great