bicycle design for amateurs

Old May 4th 16, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default bicycle design for amateurs

forwarded to me by Pardo:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/35437979/Velocipedia

in 2009 I began pestering friends and random strangers. I would
walk up to them with a pen and a sheet of paper asking that
they
immediately draw me a men’s bicycle, by heart. Soon I
found out
that when confronted with this odd request most people have a
very hard time remembering exactly how a bike is made. Some did
get close, some actually nailed it perfectly, but most ended up
drawing something that was pretty far off from a regular
men’s
bicycle.

I selected those that I found most interesting and genuine and
diverse, then rendered them as if they were real.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 4th 16, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

I'm not so sure all of those are as amateurish as might appear to the reactionaries who infest cycling, Andrew. I could easily make a case for some of the design features shown in that fellow's elaborate 3D modelling joke.

Here's one that the usual idiots will automatically include in that list:
http://www.pedersenbicycles.com/gallery.htm
In real life it is by one of the greatest bicycle designers of all time, and its variants have been in continuous production since 1896, and you can order one right now from several manufacturers. And, for the usual RBT trolls screeching for "proof", here is Mikael Pedersen riding the ancestor of that design with Frau Pedersen as his stoker:
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/imag.../md-tandem.png
from the history site
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net
This page
https://www.pedersengenootschap.nl
offers a nice sketch of the structture as the logo of the Dutch club. Notable features include full three-dimensional triangulation; no seatstays in compression -- instead there are cables in tension; a flexible connection of the bottom tube directly to the fork (the fork is that construction of eight thin tubes and a horizontal flat plate that hold the front wheel) rather than to the head tube; true suspended hammock seating; and many other similarly radical details.

Finally, in case anyone here has the balls to ride a bicycle that is rationally different, here you can buy the most reasonably priced of the modern Pedersen production in any colour and any stage of trim and with any transmission you can possibly desi
http://www.pedersen.info/Pedersen/pedersen.info.html
and you might like to know there is an American distributor.
Here's another distinguished maker who has been in business many years:
http://www.kemper-velo.de/bicycles/k...-pedersen/?L=2

Enjoy.

Andre Jute
Those who don't study history are condemned to repeat its errors
Old May 4th 16, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 04 May 2016 14:59:11 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

forwarded to me by Pardo:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/35437979/Velocipedia

in 2009 I began pestering friends and random strangers. I would
walk up to them with a pen and a sheet of paper asking that they
immediately draw me a mens bicycle, by heart. Soon I found out
that when confronted with this odd request most people have a
very hard time remembering exactly how a bike is made. Some did
get close, some actually nailed it perfectly, but most ended up
drawing something that was pretty far off from a regular mens
bicycle.

I selected those that I found most interesting and genuine and
diverse, then rendered them as if they were real.

What he has demonstrated is that only a small portion of the general
public has any artistic abilities or can produce a recognizable
sketch. Even those that ride or own a bicycle would have problems
producing an accurate sketch if they lack the necessary geometric
memory and drawing skills. In the bad old days of large trade shows,
where cameras were not allowed, many of us design pirates would enter
a show booth, try to memorize what was being offered, and then would
sneak away to produce a sketch before our memory would fade.
Sometimes, we would compare the sketches and discover that pieces were
missing, moved, or added. Proportions were always wrong. In
retrospect, we were lousy at spying and would also probably have
botched the bicycle sketch test. Even professional artists require a
model to remind them of the details.

The CAD drawings generated from some of the sketches are interesting.
Just as neat and oranized looking computer spreadsheets can magically
convert a worthless pile of useless numbers into something profound,
so can a CAD program do the same for a bicycle sketch. Garbage in,
concept drawing out.

Over the years, I've tried various computer based assistance starting
with PC Paint and ending with Sketchup. After many failed attempts,
I've finally concluded that a computer program cannot compensate for
my total lack of artistic talent. Oh well.

Near the bottom of the URL, I find:

Fun facts:

Some diversities are gender driven. Nearly 90% of drawings in
which the chain is attached to the front wheel (or both to the
front and the rear) were made by females. On the other hand,
while men generally tend to place the chain correctly, they
are more keen to over-complicate the frame when they realize
they are not drawing it correctly.

One of the most frequent issues for participants was not
knowing exactly how to describe their job in short.

The most unintelligible drawing has also the most unintelligible
handwriting. It was made by a doctor.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 5th 16, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

so who looks at bicycles ?

my second try at framing the question arrived at:

http://goo.gl/1cmD5f

butbutbut quick now no cheating pencil on paper draw a 3.....4....6..... and 5

as:

http://thelearningsite.info/wp-conte...sharpeners.jpg

Old May 5th 16, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/4/2016 3:59 PM, AMuzi wrote:
forwarded to me by Pardo:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/35437979/Velocipedia

in 2009 I began pestering friends and random strangers. I would
walk up to them with a pen and a sheet of paper asking that they
immediately draw me a men’s bicycle, by heart. Soon I found out
that when confronted with this odd request most people have a
very hard time remembering exactly how a bike is made. Some did
get close, some actually nailed it perfectly, but most ended up
drawing something that was pretty far off from a regular men’s
bicycle.

I selected those that I found most interesting and genuine and
diverse, then rendered them as if they were real.

Great link! POTM!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 5th 16, 06:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

POTUM ?

XXXX, looks like lead pipe ...
Old May 5th 16, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

BTW Frank, how's your knee ?
Old May 5th 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

how your....jus kidding.....

here try this

http://www.delanceyplace.com/dp-subs...p?c=liveintent