Missing Postings with Bicycle Content.

Old March 16th 20, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Missing Postings with Bicycle Content.

I made several postings with nothing but bicycle content. Why did they never show up on the group?
Old March 16th 20, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/16/2020 1:42 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I made several postings with nothing but bicycle content. Why did they never show up on the group?

Well, this post displays.
You might simply add here as a reply.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 18th 20, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 12:03:04 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/16/2020 1:42 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I made several postings with nothing but bicycle content. Why did they never show up on the group?

Well, this post displays.
You might simply add here as a reply.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I took the Trek down to the shop. I had a variety of reasons:

1. Shops and particularly an all steel retailer needs all of the income they can get.

2. I'm sure that he can get the wires for a quarter of the price I can and his markups are reasonable.

3. I cannot find my removal tool for pressed in bearings and I might at well get him to take care of that to expand his bill a bit.

4. He immediately discovered that one of the BB90 bearings wasn't turning smoothly. While it didn't feel rough you could distinctly tell the different in the effort it took to turn one and the other. As it turned out although I had looked at it dozens of times I missed the fact that the dust covers were missing and that this was the cause of the crank problem I had.

5. I thought I had several chains including an 11 speed Connex but cannot find any of them. Probably put them somewhere where I could lose them. So I ordered a Shimano Ultegra chain from him as well.

6. I installed a Garmin 810 that I got for a song on the bike and rather than set it up myself I'm having him set it up. His Waterford top of the line racing bike has all of the best Di2 on it so he is familiar with pairing whereas the Garmin on-line manual is so childish I can't read it.

7. As long as he would be putting on all of the lever stuff I took my color matching handlebar tape along. I have to say, no matter how many times I wrap handlebars I only rarely get it perfect. This is something of an art and either you instinctively understand it or you don't.

8. I also picked up some color matching Look Keo Classic pedals. These work nicely and I wish I had talked about getting those OIYYOIUYO Keo Blades before getting them. Jay was 100% accurate. They are so light that the bearing friction is too high to allow those super-light pedals to turn on the shaft and you spend all of your time trying to get into the damn things. I did follow his advice not to stand on the carbon fiber plates/spring for fear of breaking them so I haven't had that problem he experienced. Anyway John can install those as well.

While not a great deal of work, at least it will give him some work on his closed days. He doesn't like people to see anything other than the steel bikes so he keeps them in the back room and works on CF bikes the two days a week he's closed. He seems to be selling Waterford's and service on steel bikes quite a bit. Waterford gave him a bike fit machine because all Waterford's are custom made to order. You can get anything like his racing bike that is lighter than my CF Colnago to this 100% touring bike with those wildly artistic lugs. He also sells Gunnar which I think is sort of a stock fit bike made by Waterford and Salza as well as some old stock frames such as the original Schwinn Paramounts that the owner of Waterford had made. All of the great steel bikes like Raleigh and Bob Jackson. He sort of stays away from Italian machines. I'm sure that he has the taps and dies since the shop was opened by his grandfather in 1937.

Most of his old stock steel frames have been sold off but he probably has a dozen or so left and most of the bikes are the new American steel. After riding my Lemond which was one of the lightest steel bikes of its time I now have a definite liking for American made. I'll see what it is like to shorten my stable down to three bikes - two top end Treks and the Lemond (which was made by Trek).

That means I'll have to sell off four bikes. Anyone wanna buy a 62 cm Basso Loto circa the last of their steel bikes that was custom made for the Loto team?