Cycling is temporarily banned in Italy and Spain.

Old March 18th 20, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Cycling is temporarily banned in Italy and Spain.

On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 7:23:59 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 5:44:03 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/18/2020 1:16 AM, James wrote:
https://electrek.co/2020/03/17/egeb-...d-competition/

In a crisis, state action is seldom useful or helpful. It's
about power, the exercise of which is certainly pushing
limits this month.

Okey-dokey. Not that I'm for cracking down on leisure cyclists, but governments are doing vector control and triage. Decisions may not be perfect, but somebody's got to do it.

Regrettably, in times of crisis, people don't band-together for the greater good. They hoard toilet paper, and the greater good has to be shoved down their throats. Have you ever seen a survivalist who is preparing a food bank and shelter for the displaced? Not likely -- it's zombie target practice and hoarding. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/37/3e...cd6bea7551.jpg

We can certainly disagree on what is for the greater good, but this is why we have representatives in government and the CDC, NIH, DHS, etc. -- also known as the "swamp." Thank Buddha for the swamp. Time for me to ride my bike to work -- undisturbed by the fascist PPB, assuming I'm not caught running lights.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, please do not parrot the noises made by idiot governments. The numbers they are using are "confirmed cases" meaning that only those sick enough to go to a hospital have ever been checked and that is miniscule portion of those actually infected. That means that the actual fatality rate is probably at LEAST 100 times smaller than reported.

If you look at where the disease turned up it is so widespread that you can tell that it had completely covered the globe before Chinese scientists analyzed it ad found it to be a new strain. There is NO WAY that you can control it other than let it run its course and there is nothing that is very important about it.

It has killed about 8800 as you read this world wide. And that is a drop in the bucket of the human race.

If you look at this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus...d19_cases_and/

At the bottom of the page you can see that less than 1% of the fatalities didn't have any (known) pre-existing condition. Look at the age profiles on that report as well.

Can you suggest why the entire economy should be thrown into the trash barrel for this?
Old March 18th 20, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 5:30:45 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Golly, Tom, you need to talk with all the country's investment
advisors, stock traders, investment bankers, trust fund managers, and
individual investors. Also the government economists in dozens of
countries - even those that are gasp! American Republicans.

At present, it seems they are almost all disagreeing with you. Please set them straight immediately!

How could they have failed to recognize your brilliance and consult
with you? What is _wrong_ with all those people with relevant
education, advanced degrees, decades of experience, mega-reams of real data, whose jobs are on the line if they don't get this right?
Why won't they listen to an unemployed denizen of a bicycle discussion
group??

Say, have you phoned The Donald yet? He's probably hoping you'll call!

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 18th 20, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 3:17:34 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

It must be hell living on a teacher's retirement. Even my wife has three times her teacher's retirement via an inheritance of three homes in Oregon that are rental properties managed from long distance by her brother.

Is that what makes you do angry at the world?
Old March 19th 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 6:39:37 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Oh, it's not that bad. Our house was paid for many decades ago. I've
not had a car loan since about 1980, because I pay cash for every
car we buy. In fact, I haven't had any sort of loan; I pay cash for
everything. I pay off the credit card each month. (In credit card
parlance, that makes me a "freeloader.")

We didn't go to Europe last year, because we chose to travel only
in the U.S. The previous year we did a river cruise in Europe, in
Switzerland, Germany, France and Netherlands, with extra days in Basel and Amsterdam.

Before that, we visited France; and Estonia, Finland and Sweden; and
Poland, the Czech Republic, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. One year
in the midst of those, it was Cape Breton and other parts of Nova
Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec not to mention the various U.S. states
on the way. (That was a long driving vacation.) We've traveled out
west many, many times. (I've ridden in 47 states so far.) Except for
the cruise (just two weeks with our add-on days) those were all
multi-week trips. So were our vacations in Britain and in Ireland,
although those were before I retired.

Admittedly, this lovely virus has cramped our style. My plan was to
tick off state #48, and possibly #49 this year. I guess that's on
hold.

Oh, and weirdly enough, we decided to stock up on food just before
the big runs on groceries happened. Our freezer and our canned goods
shelves are completely full. We even have toilet paper! (And we
subscribe to an actual newspaper. Effectively, it's an endless
supply!) And our village has been rated one of the very safest in
the state. Besides, if starvation approaches, we have tasty deer
regularly visiting our yard.

I was going to say something about investments, planning for the
future, etc. but I deleted it. It's none of your business. But I'll
note that our investment advisor has run many projections and says
we have absolutely nothing to worry about.

My biggest worry is this: How will I find a worthy retro grouch to
leave my bikes to?

So how are you doing, Tom? Are you able to afford groceries yet
without complaining? Still dodging bullets and sideshow drivers?
When will you move out of that hell hole?

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 19th 20, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 5:53:46 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yes, but have you been to Trees of Mystery? The Oregon Vortex? Pffff. I thought not. Let me tell you about real travel. https://californiathroughmylens.com/...1-1024x683.jpg My wife and I are taking a cruise (in our Subaru) down to The Enchanted Forest. https://tinyurl.com/vn3u8s3 They don't got that in gay pa-ree, no siree Bob.

Time to ride home in the post-apocalypse traffic. There was like one other guy on the bike path through the usually bustling south waterfront this morning. We stayed six feet apart. After passing him, I used some hand sanitizer just in case. I have a pump bottle mounted on my handlebars.

BTW, being on a fixed retirement is about as good as it gets during the COVID crash. I'm exposed to the market in a number of ways, none of them good. I may have to get a paper-route.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 19th 20, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 9:19:20 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Wow, what a Babe! ;-)

BTW, being on a fixed retirement is about as good as it gets during the COVID crash. I'm exposed to the market in a number of ways, none of them good. I may have to get a paper-route.

Let me know if you need any advice. I have years of experience. I
figure that's what made me a good bike handler.

- Frank Krygowski

Old March 19th 20, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Tom Kunich writes:

[...]

I'm guessing Frank gets 80% of his working salary. That's *excellent* by
21st century standards.

Old March 19th 20, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/18/2020 9:59 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/18/2020 12:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 8:47:37 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/18/2020 10:23 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 5:44:03 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/18/2020 1:16 AM, James wrote:
https://electrek.co/2020/03/17/egeb-...d-competition/

In a crisis, state action is seldom useful or helpful. It's
about power, the exercise of which is certainly pushing
limits this month.

Okey-dokey.Â* Not that I'm for cracking down on leisure cyclists, but
governments are doing vector control and triage.Â* Decisions may not
be perfect, but somebody's got to do it.

IMO, this decision is absolutely nuts. It seems founded on the belief
that if a person ever rides a bike, they're likely to take up space in
the hospital.

Has nobody ever seen a ranked list of causes of hospital visits? Cycling
is way, way down the list. Motoring and walking are worse.

The ban is on leisure cycling and not riding to work or shopping.
Leisure cyclists are crazy old men with beards and handlebar bags.
They are known vectors, like plague rats.

I'm hoping that when I take my next ride, motorists will all flee in panic.

If you have an encounter you want to truncate, just cough into your
elbow a few times.

Mark J.

Old March 19th 20, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/18/2020 5:53 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
My biggest worry is this: How will I find a worthy retro grouch to
leave my bikes to?

Be sure to get specifics in your will.

"My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my bikes for
what I told her I paid for them."

Mark J.
Old March 20th 20, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/19/2020 3:30 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 3/18/2020 5:53 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
My biggest worry is this: How will I find a worthy retro grouch to
leave my bikes to?

Be sure to get specifics in your will.

"My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my bikes for
what I told her I paid for them."Â*

:-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Valverde banned 2 years from competing in Italy [email protected] Racing 0 May 11th 09 05:05 PM
flag based bike jerseys ireland, spain, usa, uk, italy [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 8th 09 02:02 PM
Countries and flag based jerseys, USA, Ireland, UK, Spain, Mexico,Italy [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 24th 08 03:17 PM
cycling in spain [email protected] UK 36 November 15th 07 11:49 AM
Cycling to Spain iakobski UK 28 April 1st 05 09:19 PM