Electronic and Manual Shifting.

Old May 4th 20, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Electronic and Manual Shifting.

I have a Trek Emonda in the shop that should be ready this week. It is 8070 shifting set-up - the latest Ultegra components. I also collect and entire shift group of 9070 - the DuraAce group. I also have the Dura Ace brakes but because it is so expensive for the Dura Ace cranks I use Ultegra. The difference in weight is minimal and Dura Ace cranks are cold forged in two pieces then welded together and the welds polished off the outside.

When I get it I'll weigh it and let everyone know how it rides compared to the other bikes I have.

I had intended to use the Dura Ace group to install on the Trek Madone 6.9 frameset I obtained but it isn't set up for Di2 shifting. I went though the trouble of contacting Trek about it and got a variety of stories but it boiled down to having to use and external battery and drilling holes in my frame.

Finally I just couldn't see doing that and obtained a Dura Ace manual shift group. The 9000 Dura Ace Manual group supposedly is a generation ahead of the 6800 group which was the first 11 speed. The lever motion is a third less and the spring pressure a lot less. So they say. If these things ever get here in our new hit and miss USPS I'll throw it all together and very shortly have the Madone on the road. The manual group is slightly lighter than the Di2 so I figure the Madone and the 6 year newer Emonda should weigh about the same.

While sitting on the side of the road last Thursday and waiting for my wife to pick me up after getting a large slash in my tide which turned out to be from a broken beer bottle in the bike lane, I was looking at the Colnago and noticed that it is set up to install Di2 so I will install the Dura Ace Di2 on it.

This will (eventually when I sell a few bikes) leave me with an Ultegra Di2, a Dura Ace Di2, a Dura Ace 11 speed manual and the Lemond with Record 10 speed.

The Redline I've been presently riding with Ultegra Di2 has been getting me used to the use of Di2 and now I only have to think a bit about shifting and plainly it won't be long before I don't have to even think of it.
Old May 4th 20, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/3/2020 7:03 PM, wrote:
I have a Trek Emonda in the shop that should be ready this week. It is 8070 shifting set-up - the latest Ultegra components. I also collect and entire shift group of 9070 - the DuraAce group. I also have the Dura Ace brakes but because it is so expensive for the Dura Ace cranks I use Ultegra. The difference in weight is minimal and Dura Ace cranks are cold forged in two pieces then welded together and the welds polished off the outside.

Off topic, but ISTR reading decades ago about a crankset made as frames
are made - hollow tapered steel, brazed to the spindle attachment
(probably cottered in those days) and chainring spider, brazed to a
pedal insert at the other end. I wonder how that could compete with the
solid or near-solid metal ones of today.

Finally I just couldn't see doing that and obtained a Dura Ace manual shift group. ... If these things ever get here in our new hit and miss USPS I'll throw it all together and very shortly have the Madone on the road.

Speaking of a competitor of the USPS: This past week I placed an online
order a gift for someone. It arrived on a rainy day. UPS dropped it on
our front porch, but not under the roof, right out in the rain. No
plastic bag either, and they never even rang the doorbell. I found it
hours later, the cardboard package soaked. I didn't even try to open it.

Got online, triggered the "delivery problem" routine, got instructions
to leave it out for UPS pickup.

Apparently a UPS driver did stop by, but didn't pick it up. Just left a
UPS label, with instructions for _me_ to drive it to a UPS dropoff point.

I phoned and the nice lady said, "Well, we're social distancing..." etc.
I said I did not want to make the drive. So I was instructed to put the
label on the package, set it back on the porch with a note "UPS Pickup."

It later disappeared, again with no doorbell, no notice. UPS? Porch
pirates? Who knows?

--
- Frank Krygowski