"Thinking of Buying a Bike? Get Ready for a Very Long Wait,TheUnited States is facing a shortage of bicycles as anxiety over publictransportation and a desire to exercise has sent the demand surging"

Old May 19th 20, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default "Thinking of Buying a Bike? Get Ready for a Very Long Wait,TheUnited States is facing a shortage of bicycles as anxiety over publictransportation and a desire to exercise has sent the demand surging"

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 11:02:40 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
"Thinking of Buying a Bike? Get Ready for a Very Long Wait,The United
States is facing a shortage of bicycles as anxiety over public
transportation and a desire to exercise has sent the demand surging"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/nyregion/bike-shortage-coronavirus.html

A friend of a friend, who's retired but was working part time at an LBS
was furloughed in March. Now the store is begging him to come back to
help keep up with demand for repairs and assembly.

This does not appear to have improved the Craigslist market. Are people so independently wealthy that they can afford new bikes?
Old May 20th 20, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/n...bike-shortage-

coronavirus.html

A friend of a friend, who's retired but was working part time at an LBS
was furloughed in March. Now the store is begging him to come back to
help keep up with demand for repairs and assembly.

This does not appear to have improved the Craigslist market. Are people
so independently wealthy that they can afford new bikes?

What do wally Mart bikes cost?

Old May 20th 20, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 19 May 2020 23:57:49 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2020 13:20:52 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 11:02:40 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
"Thinking of Buying a Bike? Get Ready for a Very Long Wait,The United
States is facing a shortage of bicycles as anxiety over public
transportation and a desire to exercise has sent the demand surging"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/n...bike-shortage-

coronavirus.html

A friend of a friend, who's retired but was working part time at an LBS
was furloughed in March. Now the store is begging him to come back to
help keep up with demand for repairs and assembly.

This does not appear to have improved the Craigslist market. Are people
so independently wealthy that they can afford new bikes?

What do wally Mart bikes cost?

We were at Makro yesterday and a nice 7 speed bike with disc brakes
was 3,400 baht about US$ 106.25. Painted orange too, which is almost
as fast a bike as a red one :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 20th 20, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/19/2020 6:47 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

We were at Makro yesterday and a nice 7 speed bike with disc brakes
was 3,400 baht about US$ 106.25. Painted orange too, which is almost
as fast a bike as a red one :-)

Hmm, how much to ship 100 of them to the U.S.?
Old May 20th 20, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/19/2020 4:57 PM, news18 wrote:

snip

What do wally Mart bikes cost?

Last time I was there I think they were between $50 and $200.

I generally tell people looking at Walmart bikes to just buy a used
bicycle from a seller on craigslist that is refurbishing bicycles. If
they have to pay a bicycle shop for repairs then it's probably not worth
buying something used because of the high cost of repairs around here.

Used bicycle prices on craigslist are high, but if you find a seller
that actually knows how to refurb them sufficiently well you can buy one
for about 40% of what an equivalently equipped new bike would cost.

What's amusing is to read a craigslist ad where the seller quotes the
price they paid for the bicycle new, lists all the upgrades they've done
and how much those cost, and then expects someone to pay 70-80% of what
they've spent─it doesn't work that way.
Old May 21st 20, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/20/2020 12:10 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

"$50 to $200" ?? on what planet?

You might benefit form talking to new bicycle shoppers mo

https://www.walmart.com/browse/sport...230089_7905629

Carbon DuraAce 12 $3500

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 21st 20, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 5:43:33 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/20/2020 12:10 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Dude, it's a Viathon. Worth every penny. Not quite as good as a Wayfast (Amazon house brand), but damned good.

If I were building a house brand, I'd come up some non-lame sounding name and better decals. Maybe Trak or Spacialized or Canyondale (kill two birds). Maybe a famous Italian racer who never lived like Mario Allegro. It sounds fast. Or a happy name like Mario Confetti. Or just buy some distressed brand like Mavic. But Viathon? It sounds like a Greek cable TV company.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 21st 20, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/20/2020 5:43 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/20/2020 12:10 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

He was asking what Walmart Bikes cost.

https://www.walmart.com/browse/sports-outdoors/adult-bikes/male/4125_1081404_1230089?cat_id=4125_1081404_1230089&f acet=retailer%3AWalmart.com%7C%7Cbicycle_wheel_siz e%3A700c&max_price=200&min_price=50#searchProductR esult
Old May 21st 20, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 20 May 2020 10:01:46 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/19/2020 6:47 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

We were at Makro yesterday and a nice 7 speed bike with disc brakes
was 3,400 baht about US$ 106.25. Painted orange too, which is almost
as fast a bike as a red one :-)

Hmm, how much to ship 100 of them to the U.S.?

Well the Bikes originated in China and shipping a 20 ft container from
Shanghai to San Diego seems to be quoted at $1,620 today.

Another site mentions shipping 480 bikes in one 40 ft. container so
half of that would be 240 bikes in a 20 ft. or in the neighborhood of
$6.75 shipping cost from Shanghai to San Diego.

Disregarding shipping cost from Shanghai to Bangkok, we are looking at
about $113.00 for a nice orange bicycle. With Disc Brakes!
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 21st 20, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/20/2020 12:10 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Out here in America weird brands like Bianchi sound foreign
but WalMart is considered The Genuine Thing and the price
base or reference point for any purchase, checked by
telephone on my showroom floor. I live in that world. It's
brutal.