A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Riding a Trek Madone

Old June 17th 20, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Riding a Trek Madone

For reasons I don't understand I have had a rattling cough and been very weak on my rides. It is slowly improving but I've had this damn cough for 4 months. The weakness is recent and I think that the reasons were taking one of those damn vitamin combination that were supposed to increase your hematocrit. Not only didn't it do that, in my latest lab tests it is a little lower so that I am slightly below low normal. The doctor says this is normal for people my age but I would just as soon it weren't.

The manual 11 Speed DuraAce shifting really sucks. It shifts perfectly but it makes noise all over the place and I can't get it to run quietly. I suppose that I will have to turn it over to a shop whose work I trust. This might be attributed to using a 105 cogset 11-32 but I don't think so. It came in a Shimano box but there are counterfeits all over the place and this one makes noise in only part of the cogs which suggests improper spacing.

Other than chain noise from the DuraAce I have to say it is FAR better than the Campy I have been running. While the DuraAce is noisy the damn Campy would need adjustment every couple of weeks to keep from jumping between gears and usually in the most inconvenient place - like the steepest part of a climb when you were giving it everything you had. Then a quarter of a turn of the adjustment in the correct direction, which was always difficult to tell, would give you clean and quiet shifting for another two weeks.

The Madone simply rides nearly perfect. The invisible bumps you hit at speed are pretty much absorbed so you can descend at breath-taking speeds without worrying about any loss of control. Though I do find that although I am still faster than other people on descents, I do not go anywhere near the speeds I used to go.

Now, the Madone rides very well on the flats and it goes fine over even heavy climbs but not as well as the Emonda. And the Di2 of he Emonda gives me perfect shifting all the time. There are no wires to stretch or pull though the lock-screws a little way. Of course you do have to charge the battery every couple of weeks but yo have to maintain your manual groups as well.

Pretty soon I will be putting DuraAce Di2 on the Colnago. After this next pay period I should have my account back to zero and will be able to put the $150 into the setup. Though I am considering installing the bar-end control unit instead of the under bar unit. That would be another $150 for the unit and the different wire combo for it. Last ride on the Emonda I discovered that it wasn't my getting used to the Di2 shifter but my short term memory problem where I get confused at which lever to use. You can't really do this with manual Campy for perhaps that is why I used Campy for so long. I now have no problem in finding the "front" and "rear" switches/levers so it isn't that which is the problem.

I put on a lot of weight during this lockdown so the Madone was a God-send but the rides I've been taking have been slowly working that off. I burned 3,000 Calories on the ride yesterday though on most older bike that would be 50% higher.

I really like the Garmin 530 but I can't say as much for the other models. What is interesting is that there is a Chinese copy that sells for 1/5th the price and I think that I will get one of those and pass on a report. I know what electronics should cost and Garmin is entirely overpriced for what it is.

Though it is really nice having the speedo in the rear wheel and cadence as well. This improves aerodynamics. I have a heart rate monitor but the display is too small for my eyesight so I don't bother with it. I had perfect eyesight until 65 but that crash also put a scar on the back of one of my retinas so it screws up the sight in one of my eyes which of course messes up the other as well. I can get along fine with bifocals but can't wear those on the bike without buying $400 Oakleys that can have the correction built into the lenses. And Oakley is no longer making glasses that properly cover your face on rapid descents. So I can do as well with $10 Chinese sunglasses.

Suggestion: when you finally have to get your cataracts repaired GET THE EXPENSIVE lenses that your eyes can change the focal length on. This negates the need for glasses unless you have other problems like I have. One set of good glasses cost more than those plastic lenses. They are not perfect but work almost like your original eyesight for most things other than very close work.

Ads
Old June 17th 20, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 5:46:57 PM UTC+2, wrote:
For reasons I don't understand I have had a rattling cough and been very weak on my rides. It is slowly improving but I've had this damn cough for 4 months. The weakness is recent and I think that the reasons were taking one of those damn vitamin combination that were supposed to increase your hematocrit. Not only didn't it do that, in my latest lab tests it is a little lower so that I am slightly below low normal. The doctor says this is normal for people my age but I would just as soon it weren't.

The manual 11 Speed DuraAce shifting really sucks. It shifts perfectly but it makes noise all over the place and I can't get it to run quietly. I suppose that I will have to turn it over to a shop whose work I trust. This might be attributed to using a 105 cogset 11-32 but I don't think so. It came in a Shimano box but there are counterfeits all over the place and this one makes noise in only part of the cogs which suggests improper spacing.

Running that kind of cassette on a Dura Ace RD which is not supposed to support that cassette I would check the B screw adjustment.

Other than chain noise from the DuraAce I have to say it is FAR better than the Campy I have been running. While the DuraAce is noisy the damn Campy would need adjustment every couple of weeks to keep from jumping between gears and usually in the most inconvenient place - like the steepest part of a climb when you were giving it everything you had. Then a quarter of a turn of the adjustment in the correct direction, which was always difficult to tell, would give you clean and quiet shifting for another two weeks.

Had some Campy equipped bikes and still have one but never experienced that kind of problems. Once adjusted it stayed adjusted.

The Madone simply rides nearly perfect. The invisible bumps you hit at speed are pretty much absorbed so you can descend at breath-taking speeds without worrying about any loss of control. Though I do find that although I am still faster than other people on descents, I do not go anywhere near the speeds I used to go.

Now, the Madone rides very well on the flats and it goes fine over even heavy climbs but not as well as the Emonda. And the Di2 of he Emonda gives me perfect shifting all the time. There are no wires to stretch or pull though the lock-screws a little way. Of course you do have to charge the battery every couple of weeks but yo have to maintain your manual groups as well.

Every couple of weeks? I charge the battery in the beginning of the season and that is it. The battery of my Aeroad was flat at the beginning of the season (didn't shift RD) so I charged it. I did at least 3500 km up to now on that bike. With an average of 30-31 km/hr that is about 115 hours and the LED still showing solid green.

Pretty soon I will be putting DuraAce Di2 on the Colnago. After this next pay period I should have my account back to zero and will be able to put the $150 into the setup. Though I am considering installing the bar-end control unit instead of the under bar unit. That would be another $150 for the unit and the different wire combo for it. Last ride on the Emonda I discovered that it wasn't my getting used to the Di2 shifter but my short term memory problem where I get confused at which lever to use. You can't really do this with manual Campy for perhaps that is why I used Campy for so long. I now have no problem in finding the "front" and "rear" switches/levers so it isn't that which is the problem.

I put on a lot of weight during this lockdown so the Madone was a God-send but the rides I've been taking have been slowly working that off. I burned 3,000 Calories on the ride yesterday though on most older bike that would be 50% higher.

I really like the Garmin 530 but I can't say as much for the other models.. What is interesting is that there is a Chinese copy that sells for 1/5th the price and I think that I will get one of those and pass on a report. I know what electronics should cost and Garmin is entirely overpriced for what it is.

Though it is really nice having the speedo in the rear wheel and cadence as well. This improves aerodynamics. I have a heart rate monitor but the display is too small for my eyesight so I don't bother with it.

You know that you can customize the data screens and you can have multiple.. Choose one with only two or three data fields. The numbers will be very large.

It was 'new bike day' for me yesterday. I picked up my gravel bike at the store and I went there with my 17 year old Litespeed that I traded in. While I was handling the affairs my Litespeed was leaning against the counter of the workshop out of my sight. I was in the store for about one hour and during that time one of the mechanics called his friend, he came by (lived in the same town) and bought my Litespeed on the spot. Unbelievable. Half a year ago I couldn't sell that bike for half the price. Like I said the second hand bike business is booming because of COVID-19.

Lou
Old June 18th 20, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 2:13:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Running that kind of cassette on a Dura Ace RD which is not supposed to support that cassette I would check the B screw adjustment.

Had some Campy equipped bikes and still have one but never experienced that kind of problems. Once adjusted it stayed adjusted.

Every couple of weeks? I charge the battery in the beginning of the season and that is it. The battery of my Aeroad was flat at the beginning of the season (didn't shift RD) so I charged it. I did at least 3500 km up to now on that bike. With an average of 30-31 km/hr that is about 115 hours and the LED still showing solid green.

I really like the Garmin 530 but I can't say as much for the other models. What is interesting is that there is a Chinese copy that sells for 1/5th the price and I think that I will get one of those and pass on a report. I know what electronics should cost and Garmin is entirely overpriced for what it is.

Though it is really nice having the speedo in the rear wheel and cadence as well. This improves aerodynamics. I have a heart rate monitor but the display is too small for my eyesight so I don't bother with it.

You know that you can customize the data screens and you can have multiple. Choose one with only two or three data fields. The numbers will be very large.

It was 'new bike day' for me yesterday. I picked up my gravel bike at the store and I went there with my 17 year old Litespeed that I traded in. While I was handling the affairs my Litespeed was leaning against the counter of the workshop out of my sight. I was in the store for about one hour and during that time one of the mechanics called his friend, he came by (lived in the same town) and bought my Litespeed on the spot. Unbelievable. Half a year ago I couldn't sell that bike for half the price. Like I said the second hand bike business is booming because of COVID-19.

Lou

Hey, let us know how it rides. As soon as your check clears, we in the US are getting another stimulus payment.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 18th 20, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 4:13:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Agree. I have an ancient, old, fossil Shimano 7970 Di2 10 speed group. From back when the dinosaurs ran around gobbling up cavemen. I charge the battery every couple years. Every 2-3 years. And then just for preventative maintenance. Not because it dies.

You know that you can customize the data screens and you can have multiple. Choose one with only two or three data fields. The numbers will be very large.

Lou

Old June 18th 20, 07:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 2:41:44 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

The manual 11 Speed DuraAce shifting really sucks. It shifts perfectly but it makes noise all over the place and I can't get it to run quietly. I suppose that I will have to turn it over to a shop whose work I trust. This might be attributed to using a 105 cogset 11-32 but I don't think so. It came in a Shimano box but there are counterfeits all over the place and this one makes noise in only part of the cogs which suggests improper spacing..

I really like the Garmin 530 but I can't say as much for the other models. What is interesting is that there is a Chinese copy that sells for 1/5th the price and I think that I will get one of those and pass on a report.. I know what electronics should cost and Garmin is entirely overpriced for what it is.

Lou

Hey, let us know how it rides. As soon as your check clears, we in the US are getting another stimulus payment.

-- Jay Beattie.

;-)
On my way home I was pleased with the handling on the road even with the wheelset/tires for gravel riding. The 55 km ride was mainly on road and I was concentrating on my saddle position. The for after position did feel a bit off which was confirmed when I measured it at home. Still have to ride the bike on road with the wheels/tires for the road and of course real gravel riding. The shape of GRX shifters are different than the DA ones and the D-fly buttons are now on the inside of the hoods. The frame is beautifully made and the bike is'boring' to look at, as intended. Only interesting for a real insider/connaisseur.
Ride home from the shop:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzgaZuCmV9yoaiLA7

Lou
Old June 18th 20, 11:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]
external usenet poster

wrote:
For reasons I don't understand I have had a rattling cough and been
very weak on my rides. It is slowly improving but I've had this damn
cough for 4 months. The weakness is recent and I think that the
reasons were taking one of those damn vitamin combination that were
supposed to increase your hematocrit. Not only didn't it do that, in
my latest lab tests it is a little lower so that I am slightly below
low normal. The doctor says this is normal for people my age but I
would just as soon it weren't.

The manual 11 Speed DuraAce shifting really sucks. It shifts perfectly
but it makes noise all over the place and I can't get it to run
quietly. I suppose that I will have to turn it over to a shop whose
work I trust. This might be attributed to using a 105 cogset 11-32 but
I don't think so. It came in a Shimano box but there are counterfeits
all over the place and this one makes noise in only part of the cogs
which suggests improper spacing.

Running that kind of cassette on a Dura Ace RD which is not supposed to
support that cassette I would check the B screw adjustment.

Other than chain noise from the DuraAce I have to say it is FAR better
than the Campy I have been running. While the DuraAce is noisy the
damn Campy would need adjustment every couple of weeks to keep from
jumping between gears and usually in the most inconvenient place -
like the steepest part of a climb when you were giving it everything
you had. Then a quarter of a turn of the adjustment in the correct
direction, which was always difficult to tell, would give you clean
and quiet shifting for another two weeks.

Had some Campy equipped bikes and still have one but never experienced
that kind of problems. Once adjusted it stayed adjusted.

The Madone simply rides nearly perfect. The invisible bumps you hit at
speed are pretty much absorbed so you can descend at breath-taking
speeds without worrying about any loss of control. Though I do find
that although I am still faster than other people on descents, I do
not go anywhere near the speeds I used to go.

Now, the Madone rides very well on the flats and it goes fine over
even heavy climbs but not as well as the Emonda. And the Di2 of he
Emonda gives me perfect shifting all the time. There are no wires to
stretch or pull though the lock-screws a little way. Of course you do
have to charge the battery every couple of weeks but yo have to
maintain your manual groups as well.

Every couple of weeks? I charge the battery in the beginning of the
season and that is it. The battery of my Aeroad was flat at the
beginning of the season (didn't shift RD) so I charged it. I did at
least 3500 km up to now on that bike. With an average of 30-31 km/hr
that is about 115 hours and the LED still showing solid green.

Pretty soon I will be putting DuraAce Di2 on the Colnago. After this
next pay period I should have my account back to zero and will be able
to put the $150 into the setup. Though I am considering installing the
bar-end control unit instead of the under bar unit. That would be
another $150 for the unit and the different wire combo for it. Last
ride on the Emonda I discovered that it wasn't my getting used to the
Di2 shifter but my short term memory problem where I get confused at
which lever to use. You can't really do this with manual Campy for
perhaps that is why I used Campy for so long. I now have no problem in
finding the "front" and "rear" switches/levers so it isn't that which is the problem.

I put on a lot of weight during this lockdown so the Madone was a
God-send but the rides I've been taking have been slowly working that
off. I burned 3,000 Calories on the ride yesterday though on most
older bike that would be 50% higher.

I really like the Garmin 530 but I can't say as much for the other
models. What is interesting is that there is a Chinese copy that sells
for 1/5th the price and I think that I will get one of those and pass
on a report. I know what electronics should cost and Garmin is
entirely overpriced for what it is.

Though it is really nice having the speedo in the rear wheel and
cadence as well. This improves aerodynamics. I have a heart rate
monitor but the display is too small for my eyesight so I don't bother with it.

You know that you can customize the data screens and you can have
multiple. Choose one with only two or three data fields. The numbers will be very large.

It was 'new bike day' for me yesterday. I picked up my gravel bike at
the store and I went there with my 17 year old Litespeed that I traded
in. While I was handling the affairs my Litespeed was leaning against
the counter of the workshop out of my sight. I was in the store for
about one hour and during that time one of the mechanics called his
friend, he came by (lived in the same town) and bought my Litespeed on
the spot. Unbelievable. Half a year ago I couldn't sell that bike for
half the price. Like I said the second hand bike business is booming because of COVID-19.

Lou

Hey, let us know how it rides. As soon as your check clears, we in the
US are getting another stimulus payment.

-- Jay Beattie.

;-)
On my way home I was pleased with the handling on the road even with the
wheelset/tires for gravel riding. The 55 km ride was mainly on road and I
was concentrating on my saddle position. The for after position did feel
a bit off which was confirmed when I measured it at home. Still have to
ride the bike on road with the wheels/tires for the road and of course
real gravel riding. The shape of GRX shifters are different than the DA
ones and the D-fly buttons are now on the inside of the hoods. The frame
is beautifully made and the bike is'boring' to look at, as intended. Only
interesting for a real insider/connaisseur.
Ride home from the shop:

Lou

Nice pic

Old June 18th 20, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 11:34:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:

The manual 11 Speed DuraAce shifting really sucks. It shifts perfectly but it makes noise all over the place and I can't get it to run quietly.. I suppose that I will have to turn it over to a shop whose work I trust. This might be attributed to using a 105 cogset 11-32 but I don't think so. It came in a Shimano box but there are counterfeits all over the place and this one makes noise in only part of the cogs which suggests improper spacing.

Other than chain noise from the DuraAce I have to say it is FAR better than the Campy I have been running. While the DuraAce is noisy the damn Campy would need adjustment every couple of weeks to keep from jumping between gears and usually in the most inconvenient place - like the steepest part of a climb when you were giving it everything you had. Then a quarter of a turn of the adjustment in the correct direction, which was always difficult to tell, would give you clean and quiet shifting for another two weeks..

Lou

-- Jay Beattie.

;-)
On my way home I was pleased with the handling on the road even with the wheelset/tires for gravel riding. The 55 km ride was mainly on road and I was concentrating on my saddle position. The for after position did feel a bit off which was confirmed when I measured it at home. Still have to ride the bike on road with the wheels/tires for the road and of course real gravel riding. The shape of GRX shifters are different than the DA ones and the D-fly buttons are now on the inside of the hoods. The frame is beautifully made and the bike is'boring' to look at, as intended. Only interesting for a real insider/connaisseur.
Ride home from the shop:

Lou

Nice bike! And you even helped with my local economy with the CK headset. Who built the wheels? It looks like the Enve package but you have Duke rims.. Hubs, too? I guess the French deserve some stimulus, too.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 18th 20, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 3:54:56 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 11:34:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:

The manual 11 Speed DuraAce shifting really sucks. It shifts perfectly but it makes noise all over the place and I can't get it to run quietly. I suppose that I will have to turn it over to a shop whose work I trust.. This might be attributed to using a 105 cogset 11-32 but I don't think so.. It came in a Shimano box but there are counterfeits all over the place and this one makes noise in only part of the cogs which suggests improper spacing.

Lou

-- Jay Beattie.

;-)
Ride home from the shop:

Lou

Nice bike! And you even helped with my local economy with the CK headset. Who built the wheels? It looks like the Enve package but you have Duke rims. Hubs, too? I guess the French deserve some stimulus, too.

-- Jay Beattie.

Peet, the shops mechanic build the wheels. Normally I'm not too fond of the French but Duke make some really nice rims. Hubs are DT240S with removed stickers, so in stealth mode. I have the tools to maintain these hubs and I'm a fan of these hubs. Enve fork, handlebar, stem, computer mount and seatpost.
For road use I have a set on Zipp202 with 32 mm Continental GP5000. I'm really curious how the bike will feel with these wheels and tires. I have to wait for the 140 mm disk for the rear wheel I have on order.

Lou
Old June 19th 20, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Lou

I'm told that but because of the exceptional amount of climbing I do I would just as soon not take the chance and it isn't like recharging is a pain.
Old June 19th 20, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 5:55:18 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 4:13:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:

The manual 11 Speed DuraAce shifting really sucks. It shifts perfectly but it makes noise all over the place and I can't get it to run quietly. I suppose that I will have to turn it over to a shop whose work I trust. This might be attributed to using a 105 cogset 11-32 but I don't think so. It came in a Shimano box but there are counterfeits all over the place and this one makes noise in only part of the cogs which suggests improper spacing..

Agree. I have an ancient, old, fossil Shimano 7970 Di2 10 speed group. From back when the dinosaurs ran around gobbling up cavemen. I charge the battery every couple years. Every 2-3 years. And then just for preventative maintenance. Not because it dies.

I really like the Garmin 530 but I can't say as much for the other models. What is interesting is that there is a Chinese copy that sells for 1/5th the price and I think that I will get one of those and pass on a report.. I know what electronics should cost and Garmin is entirely overpriced for what it is.

Lou

I have an External Cable Spec S770mm complete kit is you ever need it. You have to pay shipping. It is the battery mount, the bottom bracket junction block with wires and the wire covers. Some guy was trying to see a complete group sans rear derailleur here for $100 on Craigslist.