campy ergo disassembly question

Old September 28th 05, 10:23 PM
Eric

Default campy ergo disassembly question

I've got a set of round-hood Mirage levers that have 1/2-1" of play in
the right finger lever before the shift click occurs. There also isn't
very much tactile feedback when shifting this way. The thumb lever is
fine and clicky (after I replaced the g-spring carrier a few months ago).

I've got it torn down as far as I can but can't figure out how to get
the lever pivot pin out so that I can get at the finger-lever assembly.
Is there a trick to this? Should I just squirt some oil in there and
realize that this is just the way Mirage's are?

Thanks for any insight!

Eric
Old September 29th 05, 01:54 AM
richard

Find a pin punch and a block of wood. Drill a hole significantly larger
than the pin (the wood supports the lever, the hole gives the pin a
place to go). Put the lever on the block and gently tap the pin
through. (NOTE - having the brake lever out of the way makes it a bit
easier to get the center shaft pieces to engage after you wind the
spring, too.)

Old September 29th 05, 02:38 AM
Eric

richard wrote:
Find a pin punch and a block of wood. Drill a hole significantly larger
than the pin (the wood supports the lever, the hole gives the pin a
place to go). Put the lever on the block and gently tap the pin
through. (NOTE - having the brake lever out of the way makes it a bit
easier to get the center shaft pieces to engage after you wind the
spring, too.)

Great, so it does just slide through, I just have to give it some oomph.

Thanks!

-e

Old September 29th 05, 04:53 AM
Hank Wirtz

richard wrote in

Find a pin punch and a block of wood. Drill a hole significantly
larger than the pin

IN THE BLOCK OF WOOD.

NOT THE LEVER.

Old September 29th 05, 06:21 AM
Eric

Worked like a charm. I think the thing is that the plasti- er, composite
body has molding bits that get in the way of the pin, so it didn't seem
apparent that the pin could actually be pushed through.

Now that I've got them put back together, I think the reality is that
Mirage levers are indeed mushy, clean or no.

-eric