Crank size difference--will it really help?

Old September 29th 05, 02:23 AM
caaron

Default Crank size difference-the results

No, do I need to? If so, do you know the correct torque?

Chuck

"Ted Bennett" wrote in message
"caaron" wrote:

Thanks for all of the responses to my question. I actually did buy and
install the Ultegra 165's and the results were dramatic--much easier
riding
with less effort, and an increase in cadence by close to 10rpm along with
an
average speed increase of about .7mph (seven tenths).

My bike finally feels comfortable to ride--hard to believe that such a
seemingly minor change of 7.5mm could make such a dramatic difference in
performance. And the cranks were ridiculously easy to install, so it is
trivial mechanical procedure.

Did you use a torque wrench?

--
Ted Bennett

Old September 29th 05, 08:37 AM
Andrew Lee

"caaron" wrote:
No, do I need to? If so, do you know the correct torque?

Chuck

Probably tighter than you think. Try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/85z4b

Old September 29th 05, 12:57 PM
caaron

Thanks for the link. I did a search and found most who torque them use
35-50 foot pounds of torque. Basically, when I installed them I tightened
them as much as I could without forcing them to the 'breaking point or
stripping point". But I'll double check them today with a torque wrench set
at 35 pounds just to make sure they are at least that tight.

Chuck

Old September 29th 05, 03:16 PM

caaron wrote:
Thanks for all of the responses to my question. I actually did buy and
install the Ultegra 165's and the results were dramatic--much easier riding
with less effort, and an increase in cadence by close to 10rpm along with an
average speed increase of about .7mph (seven tenths).

My bike finally feels comfortable to ride--hard to believe that such a
seemingly minor change of 7.5mm could make such a dramatic difference in
performance. And the cranks were ridiculously easy to install, so it is a
trivial mechanical procedure.

Congrats. I'm another who likes the shorties, and yes, it makes a big
difference to me, too.

BTW, I've run into a few highly negative reactions from folks on this
matter. Ain't life strange?.
--D-y

Old September 29th 05, 05:19 PM
dvt

caaron wrote:
Thanks for the link. I did a search and found most who torque them use
35-50 foot pounds of torque. Basically, when I installed them I tightened
them as much as I could without forcing them to the 'breaking point or
stripping point". But I'll double check them today with a torque wrench set
at 35 pounds just to make sure they are at least that tight.

Have you ridden them since you installed them? Are they square taper
cranks? If yes to both, don't just torque them up again. Remove the
cranks and reinstall rather than retorquing.

I don't know if your Ultegra cranks have a square taper or splined
interface to the BB. It depends on the age of the cranks, I suppose.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Old September 29th 05, 08:40 PM
dvt

caaron wrote:
I have ridden on them since I installed them. The bottom bracket is Shimano
Octalink.

I don't know much about Octalink. Hopefully someone else does...

If Octalink is a press fit, then remove before retorquing. If it's not a
press fit, retorque to your heart's content.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
what crank length in a muni? thinuniking Unicycling 41 March 13th 04 11:39 AM
Adjustable crank idea onewheeldave Unicycling 93 February 13th 04 10:34 PM
LED headlights? David L. Johnson Techniques 129 January 21st 04 03:30 PM
crank size and freemounting ubersquish Unicycling 3 August 23rd 03 09:20 AM