Changing Rotor Sizes

Old September 28th 05, 09:22 PM
Mike Hales

Default Changing Rotor Sizes

I have some Hayes 9 disk brakes with 6" rotors. I would like to go to
an 8" rotor up front. Since hayes brakes have their own mounting
adaptors, can I simply put on a bigger rotor and change the mounting
adaptor or is there more to it? If so, where can I get the different
adaptor?

Mike

Old September 28th 05, 09:44 PM
Volker Leimann

Mike Hales schrieb:
I have some Hayes 9 disk brakes with 6" rotors. I would like to go to
an 8" rotor up front. Since hayes brakes have their own mounting
adaptors, can I simply put on a bigger rotor and change the mounting
adaptor or is there more to it? If so, where can I get the different
adaptor?

Mike

Yes, it's so simpel but check first the manual of your fork, some forks
are not recommended to use rotors larger than 6", if the fork fails with
a 8" rotor, no warranty, FR or DH forks with a 20mm thru axel are
durable enough.

Old September 28th 05, 10:05 PM
Volker

Mike Hales schrieb:
I have some Hayes 9 disk brakes with 6" rotors. I would like to go to
an 8" rotor up front. Since hayes brakes have their own mounting
adaptors, can I simply put on a bigger rotor and change the mounting
adaptor or is there more to it? If so, where can I get the different
adaptor?

Mike

Yes, it's so simpel but check first the manual of your fork, some forks
are not recommended to use rotors larger than 6", if the fork fails with
a 8" rotor, no warranty, FR or DH forks with a 20mm thru axle are
durable enough.

Old September 29th 05, 04:48 PM
Doug Huffman

Is it likely that fork that will withstand the moment (force x distance) of
a 6 inch rotor will fail due to the moment of a 8 inch rotor?

Old September 29th 05, 10:51 PM
Mike Hales

That's what I was wondering. I swear that I have seen some Stinky's
with a QR fork and 8" rotors. It seems like the stipulation that it
must be a through axle is kind of arbitrary. In fact quite a few forks
come in both through axle or QR configurations. It seems to me like
the wheel would be more a limiting factor than the fork. Any engineers
out there have comments?

Mike

Old September 30th 05, 12:10 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Mike Hales" wrote in message
oups.com...
That's what I was wondering. I swear that I have seen some Stinky's
with a QR fork and 8" rotors. It seems like the stipulation that it
must be a through axle is kind of arbitrary. In fact quite a few forks
come in both through axle or QR configurations. It seems to me like
the wheel would be more a limiting factor than the fork. Any engineers
out there have comments?

Mike

From a long thread at:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...c46b9a2e8e997d

Jobst said:
The smaller the disk diameter, the greater the disengagement force for
the same braking effect. Therefore, I see no connection between
larger disks and more wheel disengagements. What is less apparent,
is that a disk brake puts the same bending force that appears at the
fork crown on the end of the single fork blade at the caliper.

This severe bending moment is the reason not to put a disk brake on a
conventional bicycle (road) fork with a slender blade end, an end that
is not intended to carry bending loads like those at the large
diameter end at the fork crown.

If you want to read more, be sure to get some popcorn. And have a couple of
drinks beforehand... people get bitchy.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training