Citrus-based degreasers, or other options?

Old August 5th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Citrus-based degreasers, or other options?

RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 4, 2:48 pm, Ablang wrote:
A lot of the bike pros seem to recommend using citrus-based
degreasers, but that stuff doesn't seem to come in bulk...

Would it be okay to use other cheaper options, such as Simple Green
(about $10 for 140oz) or Purple Power (about $11 for 2.5 gallons)?

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...57.html?ref=42

You can also get 5 gallon pails and 55 gallon drums.
This one specifically says safe for aluminum. Not sure of how big an
issue that is.
http://www.alken-murray.com/872pib.htm

Really caustic cleaners (like oven cleaner) will etch aluminum pretty
aggressively. I don't like the idea of caustics on chains, either --
although I'm not sure that it can be worse than salt spray from our
winter roads. Solvent (paint thinner) seems to work better than Simple
Green for chains, and is virtually infinitely reusable. For cleaning
wheels and frames I just use a little car wash detergent in a bucket and
a soft brush.