Smallest Wheel Around 7.5" Hub ?

Old April 28th 16, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Smallest Wheel Around 7.5" Hub ?

On 28/04/16 12:02, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 09:11:57 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

ePer John B.:

"25 pounds at a slow walk"? "Hands"?

Hills.

Join the army. They'll show you how to carry 40 - 50 lbs. at a brisk
walk. Up hill and down dale :-)

But more seriously, you must have been raised in town as a "bucket" or
"Pail" usually held in the region of 4 gallons and most farm kids
could carry two of them to water the animals. 4 gallons is ~15 Litres,
is 15 Kg., is ~33 lbs, times, two is 66 pounds :-)

HANDS!

IIRC, most buckets I've come across hold approximately 10 litres when
brim full.

--
JS
Old April 28th 16, 12:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

ePer John B.:

"25 pounds at a slow walk"? "Hands"?

Hills.

Join the army. They'll show you how to carry 40 - 50 lbs. at a brisk
walk. Up hill and down dale :-)

But more seriously, you must have been raised in town as a "bucket" or
"Pail" usually held in the region of 4 gallons and most farm kids
could carry two of them to water the animals. 4 gallons is ~15 Litres,
is 15 Kg., is ~33 lbs, times, two is 66 pounds :-)

HANDS!

IIRC, most buckets I've come across hold approximately 10 litres when
brim full.

Well, O.K. then. 10 x 2 = 20 ltrs = 44 lbs.

But I think yo had small pails as 10 litres is only about 2-1/2
gallons which is a pretty small bucket. At least back on the farm :-)

By the way, didn't you recently mention a wheel or set of wheels that
you had just built that had mismatched holes in the hub and rim?

If so could you elaborate.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 28th 16, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per John B.:
But more seriously, you must have been raised in town as a "bucket" or
"Pail" usually held in the region of 4 gallons and most farm kids
could carry two of them to water the animals. 4 gallons is ~15 Litres,
is 15 Kg., is ~33 lbs, times, two is 66 pounds :-)

This is all going over my head.

The total load is about 220#.

I can carry one Honda EU2000 generator in each hand (about 50# per
generator) - although I don't feel real good about the possibilities of
collapsing a vertebra or something, so I don't make a habit of it.

Aside from the ability to "Carry" (actually wheel) a 220# load, there
are also traction considerations: loose gravel and such wherein a fall
while trying to manage the load becomes likely and a runaway 220# on a
hill can't be a good thing....

But the *real* driver is that people keep on offering to help me - and
it doesn't feel right putting myself into a situation where it is
obvious that I need help.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 28th 16, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

ePer John B.:

"25 pounds at a slow walk"? "Hands"?

Hills.

Join the army. They'll show you how to carry 40 - 50 lbs. at a brisk
walk. Up hill and down dale :-)

But more seriously, you must have been raised in town as a "bucket" or
"Pail" usually held in the region of 4 gallons and most farm kids
could carry two of them to water the animals. 4 gallons is ~15 Litres,
is 15 Kg., is ~33 lbs, times, two is 66 pounds :-)

HANDS!

IIRC, most buckets I've come across hold approximately 10 litres when
brim full.

Quite a few materials are sold in the US in 5 gallon (~19 l) plastic
buckets, for example drywall mud and doughnut filling. Those buckets
are not easy to carry long distance when filled with water, especially
since the handles aren't very good.

I suppose a real old school farm boy might carry two with a yoke.

Buckets sold qua buckets tend to be smaller, as you say.

Old April 28th 16, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

ePer John B.:

"25 pounds at a slow walk"? "Hands"?

Hills.

Join the army. They'll show you how to carry 40 - 50 lbs. at a brisk
walk. Up hill and down dale :-)

But more seriously, you must have been raised in town as a "bucket" or
"Pail" usually held in the region of 4 gallons and most farm kids
could carry two of them to water the animals. 4 gallons is ~15 Litres,
is 15 Kg., is ~33 lbs, times, two is 66 pounds :-)

HANDS!

IIRC, most buckets I've come across hold approximately 10 litres when
brim full.

--
JS

no 5/10 10L is very weenie....

we have entire university systems founded on the 10G milk can....
Old April 28th 16, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...dMFcMzX5M %3A

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...d82E9wqrM %3A
Old April 28th 16, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 28/04/16 21:25, John B. wrote:

By the way, didn't you recently mention a wheel or set of wheels that
you had just built that had mismatched holes in the hub and rim?

If so could you elaborate.

Sure.

This is on a road bike with 700C wheels.

The back wheel has 16 spokes with 3 cross on the right hand side, and 8
spokes with 1 cross on the left. The rim has 24 holes while the hub has
32 holes - but only every second hole is used on the left flange.

The result is that the left side spokes have about the same tension as
the right side spokes. In a "normal" wheel, the left side spokes have
so little tension that the builder must use some "goop" on the spoke
threads to prevent the nipples from becoming loose.

The rim is a 30mm aero profile, so a fairly robust aluminium rim.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55102679@N05/6797865179/

--
JS
Old April 29th 16, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 08:00:52 +1000, James
wrote:

On 28/04/16 21:25, John B. wrote:

By the way, didn't you recently mention a wheel or set of wheels that
you had just built that had mismatched holes in the hub and rim?

If so could you elaborate.

Sure.

This is on a road bike with 700C wheels.

The back wheel has 16 spokes with 3 cross on the right hand side, and 8
spokes with 1 cross on the left. The rim has 24 holes while the hub has
32 holes - but only every second hole is used on the left flange.

The result is that the left side spokes have about the same tension as
the right side spokes. In a "normal" wheel, the left side spokes have
so little tension that the builder must use some "goop" on the spoke
threads to prevent the nipples from becoming loose.

The rim is a 30mm aero profile, so a fairly robust aluminium rim.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55102679@N05/6797865179/

"Thinking outside the box" :-)

I usually use different diameter spokes and sometimes a different
"cross pattern" on the rear wheel but I had never thought of skipping
holes.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 29th 16, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:45:09 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The thing is, that buckets (or pails) sold to contain something are
just that. A container for something. Buckets sold to haul something
are a totally different device. You didn't carry an old paint bucket
out to the barn to milk a cow into :-)

This discussion started with the statement " "25 pounds at a slow
walk" :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.