This guy doesn't seem to break parts on this ride

Old April 26th 16, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default This guy doesn't seem to break parts on this ride

Funny how some people break bicycle parts on a regular basis and say they require automotive/motorcycle type designs in order not to break stuff. Yey a LOT of guys ride stuff like this and seem to be okay with off the shelf stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myLJGJBO1Ic#t=133

Cheers
Old April 26th 16, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 12:09:33 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Funny how some people break bicycle parts on a regular basis and say they require automotive/motorcycle type designs in order not to break stuff. Yey a LOT of guys ride stuff like this and seem to be okay with off the shelf stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myLJGJBO1Ic#t=133

Well, I've destroyed cheap sh** on a mountain bike in a ride or two, and I have no doubt Joerg is capable doing the same. Quality parts, however, should last -- and they do last for my friends who DH, enduro, CX, etc., including one female national champion, my friend Elaine: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12355116/ My brother was a Washington state old-guy champ DH and CX racer (plus Leadville and a bunch of epic races) -- 6'3 1/2" 200lbs and had some equipment failures but nothing like Joerg. Not even close, but then again, he spent a bundle on his bikes.

With that said, there is plenty of high-end stuff that breaks, and I agree that it shouldn't. When you're willing to spend money, though, the bicycle and component market is vast, and you can choose to buy the bullet-proof over the light weight. The old Bontrage saw "inexpensive, lightweight, strong . . . pick any two" is not necessarily true on either end of the spectrum.. You can buy some cheap, heavy stuff that is still crap and breaks -- and vice versa. It's all about smart shopping.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 26th 16, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-04-26, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Funny how some people break bicycle parts on a regular basis and
say they require automotive/motorcycle type designs in order not to
break stuff. Yey a LOT of guys ride stuff like this and seem to be
okay with off the shelf stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myLJGJBO1Ic#t=133

The flip you point out has nearly no impact or shaking, which is
what is going to damage the bicycle parts. The ramp is smoothly
curved and the rider's movement nicely flowing along. What could
be expected to break under these conditions? Hopefully nothing.

Ride the bike over a bunch of uneven cobbles on your way down a
mountain trail, and you can have a vastly different story, with the
bike and rider being shaken violently. That's where I'd expect
either fatigue failure or shearing under the momentary loads.

In other words, here's where **** gets broke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVjZ9P1Mb0g

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old April 27th 16, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:09:30 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Funny how some people break bicycle parts on a regular basis and say they require automotive/motorcycle type designs in order not to break stuff. Yey a LOT of guys ride stuff like this and seem to be okay with off the shelf stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myLJGJBO1Ic#t=133

Cheers

My understanding is that there are "mountain bike races" where serious
chaps that apparently earn their living racing the things participate.

One wonders whether their bikes break, or whether they slow down in
the rough stuff :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.