offset rear rim

Old February 21st 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

Default offset rear rim

I have built wheels with these type rims and just wonder been a few years. Are offset rims really all that much better? I just wonder because I can buy two DT swiss rims 460 a lot cheaper than getting one with the offset rear.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Old February 21st 20, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, February 21, 2020 at 9:28:42 AM UTC-8, Mark Cleary wrote:
I have built wheels with these type rims and just wonder been a few years.. Are offset rims really all that much better? I just wonder because I can buy two DT swiss rims 460 a lot cheaper than getting one with the offset rear.

Deacon Mark Cleary

It really depends on the over-all construction of the rim. It's nice to get a better spoke-tension balance with offset rims, but if it is a super-light rim, you could get spoke hole cracking anyway -- like I did with the old Aerohead OCs. The DT 460 has been pretty bullet proof for me. They're straight and easy to build. If you worry about over-tension, use more spokes and/or lighter DB spokes and some mild thread-lock like linseed oil.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 21st 20, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 2/21/2020 9:56 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, February 21, 2020 at 9:28:42 AM UTC-8, Mark Cleary wrote:
I have built wheels with these type rims and just wonder been a few years. Are offset rims really all that much better? I just wonder because I can buy two DT swiss rims 460 a lot cheaper than getting one with the offset rear.

Deacon Mark Cleary

It really depends on the over-all construction of the rim. It's nice to get a better spoke-tension balance with offset rims, but if it is a super-light rim, you could get spoke hole cracking anyway -- like I did with the old Aerohead OCs. The DT 460 has been pretty bullet proof for me. They're straight and easy to build. If you worry about over-tension, use more spokes and/or lighter DB spokes and some mild thread-lock like linseed oil.

-- Jay Beattie.

Are you comparing the DT460 [non-OC] to the DT411 [OC]? The cost is
about double for the 411, yes, not clear why.

I built a 411 OC to replace an Aerohead OC on my road bike; the
Aeroheads cracked out at the spoke holes as for Jay. I also built a 470
(pretty similar to the 460) for a gravel bike, and am beating the hell
out of it (or myself) on the gravel.

Both are holding up well despite a scarcity of spokes (24 and 28, resp.).

I went with the 411 OC on the road bike because a low-spoke-count build
really stresses the rim on the drive side spokes, due to their higher
tension, in turn due to dish. The OC aspect reduces the necessity for
such high drive-side tension.

The 470 is non-OC but on a disc hub where dish is less pronounced.
Higher spoke count would likewise make the OC less important, and is
really a more sensible/conservative approach, but ya gotta try stuff,
right? Seriously, recognize when you're shaving your margins, and
choose accordingly.

My brief conclusion: I think the offsets *are* better, but maybe only
really helpful with a high dish and high load-to-spoke-count ratio. We
functioned for years without OC rims, so they're not a panacea.

Mark J.
Old February 21st 20, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/21/2020 11:28 AM, Mark Cleary wrote:
I have built wheels with these type rims and just wonder been a few years. Are offset rims really all that much better? I just wonder because I can buy two DT swiss rims 460 a lot cheaper than getting one with the offset rear.

Deacon Mark Cleary

It's a highly desirable feature for a freewheel hub,
somewhat positive for a cassette hub, meaningless on a track
hub and overall only when all else is equal (which is often
not the case).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/