Todays ride

Old April 1st 20, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Todays ride

My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the right to let him pass. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk over the fields all white itself. When he just passed me he went over a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes. some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25 km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou
Old April 1st 20, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/31/2020 7:11 PM, wrote:
My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the right to let him pass. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk over the fields all white itself. When he just passed me he went over a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes. some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25 km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

That reminds me of the time I went by a "road closed" sign on a country
road in the southern U.S. I figured, hey, no road's closed to a bike! I
can always get by.

After a while a county work truck came the other way, and a guy yelled
"Watch out for the tar!!"

I thought "Tar? Tire? What did he mean?" In that area, those two words
are pronounced exactly alike.

He meant tar. Immediately after came a truck spraying a fine mist of
black tar over the road, preparatory to repaving. I had nowhere to hide.

Fortunately, it was just a fine mist, not a heavy coating. But I learned
that one man with proper equipment can spray tar onto a bike and rider
far faster than a bicyclist can remove it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 1st 20, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the right to let him pass. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk over the fields all white itself.. When he just passed me he went over a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes. some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25 km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou

(thrum-thrum bum bum) Ghost riders IN the sky.

I decided that I just didn't feel like going out in cold overcast skies after an absolutely perfect sky last night with the light pollution very low and many star clusters showing brightly. So I waited until 11 to leave and it was still too cold for comfort even into a damned headwind. It seems like I can't remember a time when I didn't have a headwind. It was only a 27 mile ride but 5 miles of it was on a bike path which is to day a "multiuse" path with everyone taking their kids out on training wheel bikes that they cannot control. 30 traffic lights and I still averaged 13.3 mph. There is one section returning from the end of the paved bike path that is usually hell. I cannot figure where all of the heavy traffic comes from on a dead end street with side streets into residential neighborhoods. But there has to be a heavy trucking firm in there somewhere. Yehhhhhh! Shelter in place will give me no traffic on the 1/4 mile section. ****TTT no such luck. There was more traffic along there than usual. I had a little luck, there was a break in traffic where I had to move to the left turn lane and I had a green light and the mutton head in the giant SUV stopped looking at this cell phone early enough that he make the light and me too.

I have this external wiring kit for Di2. It is an EW-7970-S. These are now as high as $137 on eBay. I've been trying to sell it for $20 plus shipping and no luck. Several emails but I have to explain everything to them the same thing that is IN the advertisement on Craigslist and THEN they check a first time and learn that it doesn't work for their setup. Just had to do the same damn thing for some guy in Florida (how the hell did he even think to look for something like that on San Francisco bay area Craigslist?) Same deal, "Oh, dude that is for the old Dura Ace". But they really should make a kit like this for the latest external wiring stuff. It is the wires, the battery carrier, the wire covers and the wiring tool. Apparently this was before they got a good EE working on it since these wires all have three or four wires per connector. Since it said Dura Ace wiring kit I picked up for $25 at the time. Too bad it didn't work. The individual parts cost me about $200 to buy individually.

Old April 1st 20, 09:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 12:11:25 AM UTC+1, wrote:
My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the right to let him pass. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk over the fields all white itself.. When he just passed me he went over a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes. some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25 km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou

The Skeleton Rides!
-- AJ

TODAYS RIDE Andrew Chaplin Techniques 19 February 6th 18 03:46 PM
TODAYS RIDE [email protected] Techniques 355 September 20th 16 04:29 PM
TODAYS RIDE T0m $herman Techniques 104 October 20th 15 10:45 PM
TODAYS RIDE [email protected] Techniques 74 January 31st 15 03:47 PM
TODAYS RIDE 3 [email protected] Techniques 19 October 6th 14 03:00 AM